You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chelsea2003

Best way to earn a 19 point commander?

38 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,551 posts
4,550 battles

Practice!  Practice!  Practice!

Seriously, fly Equal Speed Charlie London and Zulu Hotel over *everything*.  Buy them if you have to.  Buy Premium time.  Commander XP is a direct derivative of ship XP.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Commander_Experience

I'd say, play Scenarios, but you don't have enough battles.  Keep grinding.  When you finally get a 19 point captain, spam the bejeezus out of him to get another.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,566 battles

Hoard the best XP/Captain XP camos, hoard dragon flags from the PTS and other events, and save them for clan battles.  You can easily earn 40,000 commander XP per game (much more with the high end asian lantern camos).  You're quite a ways off from T10, though, so stocking those camos/flags and using them in certain operations. 

[DBM]
Members
468 posts
7,117 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

save them for clan battles

The OP only has 401 battles.  They aren't in a clan yet. Be careful of the advice that you give our newest WOW members.  They are counting on us to give them GOOD advice.

• Cool 1

[M-B]
Members
90 posts
8,770 battles

keep an eye on the armory, and missions, for capitains that start with 10 skills. save free cap xp. play the annoying holiday games, they offten send all captain xp straight to the free cap xp pool. (i got 400k free xp on the last one)

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles
34 minutes ago, Chelsea2003 said:

hat is the best way to increase commander skills? If not all the way to 19, then to 10+

If you are just starting out  IMO

1. focus your efforts on a single line/captain.
  2. when available to you, play the campaigns, the first one starts to give some good flags.
  3. for your daily crates, focus on the flags/cammo one
  4. take on any task/event/mission/etc that will get you flags, crates, cammo, coal.
  5. you won't have alot of capt exp flags when you start (you won't have many flags of any kind) so mount them or any special cammo until you get your first win bonus, then demount and continue to grind, IMO this maximized the return on the flags.
  6. coal starts to accumulate, use it and cupons in the armory to by the school bus cammos when you can.  They are cheap coal wise.
  7. focus on getting to 10 then you can decide where to get use your next 9 as they come
  8. look for recomendation for capt builds/skills that are recommended for the ship/line you are focusing on.   Seach the forums here, youtube, ship comrade and any other place you learn about
  9. Take every opportunity to get free premium time (or buy it if you are so inclined)

I'm sure there are other tips  people will provide but these are the things I kept in mind when I started a fresh account and charged up the RU BB line (15 pt by the time I reached T10 and now slowly working to finish up the 19th point)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by BadWolfz
forgot to mention premium time! doh!!!
  • Cool 2

[S0L0]
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

Depending on what lines you are interested in, there are 10 pt commanders available in the Armory, once you unlock it (not sure if it's closed to the new players or not) Make  sure you investigate what captain you are buying, though.

All the silly captains you can buy for silver are just plain captains, but some of the ones available for gold have augmented skills, they are marked with a red and gold ribbon. Other gold captains are just plain 10pt captains with no special skills.

I'm not sure if they still have some of them available for coal or not???

Matt

[WOLFC]
Members
763 posts
6,145 battles

Save the ECXP you get through daily missions, directives, etc, and use that to push your first captain to 19pts. After that, it becomes much easier to get another since all commander xp earned on a 19pt captain is converted to ECXP (think free XP for commanders).

Commander XP is based on XP, so any bonus to XP (from camos or the ESCL signal, for example) will get you more CXP. Abuse the hell out of this.

The Halloween scenarios will be coming next month. These game modes are played in special ships and typically come with 19pt captains that are restricted to these event ships. You can, however, use these scenarios to farm ECXP.

Also, after you get some more battles in and have worked your way up to mid tiers, you may want to consider investing in a tier VI or VII premium as a captain trainer. Being able to drop your commanders into these and farm XP from Operations will really help with the grind to a 19 point captain (and print ECXP once you get one). I would recommend tier VI since most of the Ops currently in the game are restricted to that tier.

One thing to keep in mind is that outside of certain specialty builds most ships are perfectly serviceable with a 10 point captain, and the rest can be made up for with skill. Some examples of general 10pt builds that work well on most mid tier ships:

DDs : PT or PM, LS, SE, CE

CLs: PT, AR, DE, IFHE for 152mm guns, otherwise get CE first.

CAs: PT, EM or AR, DE, CE

BBs: PT, EM, SI, FP or CE

Edited by Nevermore135
Damn you, autocorrect
  • Cool 2

[NSEW]
Members
1,532 posts
9,711 battles

Welcome to Warships!

As others have already pointed some great tips.  Here's mine to you.  When you started your account with this game, did you receive any "Premium" ships to start with or during the playtime?  

When I started an EU account years ago.  I was given few ships, during the process of playing the game.  Namely, a Tier 5 Texas battleship.  I mention this, because by alternating the captain that you used for USN battleship (BB) line.  You can freely without any penalty "mount" the captain to the Premium Texas ship (versus retraining them). That way, you can train the captain to 19 points with some variety during your games.  

Also, you can get 3 daily containers by playing (provided that you meet the XP requirements).  Choose to get the "More resources".  The reason I say this is that.  Once you have accumulated enough coal.  You may be able to purchase 10 point captains.  Thereby saving you some time.  But here's a small caveat.  To train the captain to 10 points, isn't hard nor a long time consuming journey.  The attainment towards 19 point captain from a 10 point captain is a much harder & longer journey.  So do you wish to take a fast shortcut to 10? or Save your coal for other options?

Either way, welcome to the forum & the game.  

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
674 posts

paid 35k coal for 10pt special skill capt, or can spend 4mil silver ...  half way there?  haha

[GWG]
Supertester
22,880 posts
12,800 battles
10 minutes ago, mobryan said:

Depending on what lines you are interested in, there are 10 pt commanders available in the Armory, once you unlock it (not sure if it's closed to the new players or not) Make  sure you investigate what captain you are buying, though.

All the silly captains you can buy for silver are just plain captains, but some of the ones available for gold have augmented skills, they are marked with a red and gold ribbon. Other gold captains are just plain 10pt captains with no special skills.

I'm not sure if they still have some of them available for coal or not???

Matt

You get to ten points so quickly that the OP probably has at least one captain with more than that now or is close.

@Chelsea2003 Focus you play on the ship that your highest captain is trained for. Premium ships of that captains nation are an excellent way to "double dip" the first win bonus to train that captain faster because they can take any captain of their country without retraining. I didn't see any premiums in your port so if you are thinking of getting one for that since you don't have many matches don't go above tier 6 and tier 5 would be better. When there is an event like the apocalypse one that ended recently playing that heavily will earn you elite captains experience which can be used to train any captain. The first one takes a long time but they come faster as you get more and more of them because of that elite experience.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,276 posts
17,738 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Hoard the best XP/Captain XP camos, hoard dragon flags from the PTS and other events, and save them for clan battles.  You can easily earn 40,000 commander XP per game (much more with the high end asian lantern camos).  You're quite a ways off from T10, though, so stocking those camos/flags and using them in certain operations. 

Also clan battles is unreliable. To get good rewards you need a strong group able to get consistent wins.

• Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,566 battles
44 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

Also clan battles is unreliable. To get good rewards you need a strong group able to get consistent wins.

I joined in March '18.  I made a beeline up the US cruiser line because I had read about the split in advance.  I got my first 19 point captain within 6 months through clan battles.  My first clan battle season I had a 13 point captain using rentals.  I unlocked the DM, and got the captain to 19 points, well before the end of that first season, despite my then-clan having basically a 50% WR.   2500 base xp with flags, and eventually camo with T10, grinds out commander XP in huge chunks. 

If you can get enough games in, even a 50%WR will produce enough commander XP to get to 19 points in a single season

Spoiler

959299788_ClanXP.thumb.jpg.78eee613cd72ae13ddd3be445a74a9c8.jpg

[PVE]
Members
3,851 posts
22,060 battles
4 hours ago, Chelsea2003 said:

What is the best way to increase commander skills? If not all the way to 19, then to 10+

Not sure how many battles it takes to unlock scenarios but a 4 star win in a few of them each gave a 10 point commander of different nations depending on the scenario.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,276 posts
17,738 battles
3 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I joined in March '18.  I made a beeline up the US cruiser line because I had read about the split in advance.  I got my first 19 point captain within 6 months through clan battles.  My first clan battle season I had a 13 point captain using rentals.  I unlocked the DM, and got the captain to 19 points, well before the end of that first season, despite my then-clan having basically a 50% WR.   2500 base xp with flags, and eventually camo with T10, grinds out commander XP in huge chunks. 

If you can get enough games in, even a 50%WR will produce enough commander XP to get to 19 points in a single season

Hide contents

959299788_ClanXP.thumb.jpg.78eee613cd72ae13ddd3be445a74a9c8.jpg

That's still wasting a lot of your good draconic flags and camos in the process, which frankly isn't worth it to me. I would much rather do it in Scenarios, especially if you can run with a reliable group like I can and good consistent rewards instead of wasting half the flags and camos assuming a 50% win rate.

• Cool 2

[UN1]
Members
717 posts
2,685 battles

I save all of my legendary flags that I gather here and there and use them to grind out a line, and then I couple them with my best camos.  I'll earn 30-50k commander exp a game and have a 19pt captain by high T8 or T9.  I've earned a few that way.

[_EASY]
Members
265 posts
10,576 battles

Those first two can take awhile, but once you have two they start popping out like catholic rabbits.

I now have a dozen. I make sure to engage in at least one battle daily with each 19pt commander.  This builds you Elite commander EXP very quickly. Be sure to use flags, camos and to take advantage of the 100% and 200% EXP bonus special events like this past weekend.

Edited by MWSVette1

[INTEL]
Members
11,367 posts
31,838 battles
7 hours ago, Chelsea2003 said:

What is the best way to increase commander skills? If not all the way to 19, then to 10+

Narai in a T7 premium.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,169 posts
9,943 battles
8 hours ago, AMajor said:

The OP only has 401 battles.  They aren't in a clan yet. Be careful of the advice that you give our newest WOW members.  They are counting on us to give them GOOD advice.

I went and had a look at OP's profile, and...

7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I didn't see any premiums in your port

I did. Did we look at the same player? OP has an ARP ship and a pre-VMF-DD-split Gnevny, as well as a Giulio. Despite their low battle count they've been around a while AND they have a 55% win rate. That being said, most of their random games are at low tier.

OP, find the ship you can play all day, and her captain is the one you pick for your 19 points. Preferably pick one at or above Tier 5, so you can be playing for dailies prizes and event directives. You have a premium Tier 7 ship. Run that in Operation Narai as often as you can make yourself do it (ask @Lightninger for the Hoperations discord link so you can do it in company, do it any time you want, and be guaranteed good results while you polish your performance). Play things like Space Battles, Halloween and all the other oddball modes they introduce from time to time as hard as you can, because those have 19 point captains on loan and you get to keep the elite commander XP they mine. These have gotten more and more frequent, and they are a goldmine for players like you who are trying to promote their first 19 pointer.

[HEROS]
Members
1,807 posts
15,571 battles

19 point commanders..

The hard part is getting the first one. Grind one ship with one captain to death.  Get a premium  with perma cammo and rotate commanders into it to speed up the process a little if you can manage it.

the secret of getting the second one is playing the first one with as many commander XP boost flags as t you can possibly stick on a ship to get "elite Commander XP"

Now I've never calc'd up how much commander XP is needed to take a captain from zero to 19 points in one shot as what I mostly use my elite commander xp for is retraining a commander onto a new ship or rspeccing and existing commander.  respeccing is like 180k or so elite commander XP for a 19 pointer or 500 doubloons.  instant retrain to a new ship is also 500 Doubloons or spend 200k silver and some elite commander XP to do the job.

I have like 8 or 9 19 point commanders at this point.   Usually I rotate them as needed between their assigned tech tree ship and one or two premiums of the same type (DD, CA, BB, CV) mainly because theres really only a few common builds depending on ship class and nation.  And IJN DD skipper can generally be rotated between their primary ship and any premium DD's you have with out issue.  And might even server well on some of your larger ships..    I rotate one commander back and forth between Yamato and KII but every once in a while I slide one of my RPF packing DD' skippers into the Kii.. usually with shocking results to some DD that finds them selves being chased and run down by a BB that they just cannot shake!

High point commanders to bring a lot to the table but every once in a while toss a one point commander into a ship your good in and go surprise yourself.   My very first fight in my brand spanking new Yamato punched over 180k of damage and top of the leader board with a zero point commander because I forgot to switch a commander in.   So a high point commander is good to have but its not essential.  When the game launched we didn't even have commanders 4 years ago.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,551 posts
4,550 battles
4 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I've never calc'd up how much commander XP is needed to take a captain from zero to 19 points in one shot

Still 1,525,000 from T10.

[H_]
Members
2,916 posts
13,374 battles

I did a lot of what is said above !

I did, however, focus of tier 8 first.  That seems to be the last tier financially to at least break even every match you play.  So, since I was grinding the IJN line, I played nothing but the Kagero, the Akizuki and the Mogami every match till I could research up and all three, one right after the other, gained 19 point CPTs.   Then, I branched out to premium ships I won or received in crates.  One for each scenario, then two for each scenario.

As said above:  those goofy and absolutely terrible Halloween, space and whatever kiddie events with free 19 point CPT's, play them till you want to uninstall.....  After a few 19 pointers, it still takes time but, I play my 19 point CPT's first everyday.  Then, if I feel like it, others........  Hope this helps.

[USCGC]
Members
430 posts
3,669 battles

Took about 4 1/2 months for my first 19 point captain. 2 months more for my second one. 

I really like battleships, so when I started the game back in March, I focused on the USN BB line. I picked up several premium BB’s on sale here and there along the way. And I also chose 1 captain that would be my main BB captain as I worked up the line. Some premium time and flags helped. 

Consistently working 1 captain, and moving him around the premiums paid off. Around the time I was in T9 Iowa working toward Montana, he got his 19th point. Nice thing with the USN BB’s is that a survival build works well on all of them, though not ideal on Georgia and Massachusetts (and soon to arrive USS California) given their enhanced secondaries, but still workable. 

Once I got the first, I kept working him to collect the elite commander XP which helped boost up my main DD captain some. I really focused more on collecting it as I worked up the Halsey campaign. I had enough that when I earned Admiral Halsey, he became an instant 19 point captain (you get him with 15 points). My main DD captain is at 17 now, and only ~500k away from 19. 

Getting the first takes the longest. My advice is to pick one captain to focus on, in a ship line you enjoy, and you’ll get that 19 point captain. 

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,807 posts
15,571 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Still 1,525,000 from T10.

ahh thanks.. noticed your tag lines.. when the hell are we gonna get our shot at getting our Mighty Jingles commander anyway.. he voice work has been in the can now for months!

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,799 posts
13,828 battles

Play good (more xp = more commander xp)

Flags to buff commander xP

after get the first 19p commander the others become easy to get