Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Can the Shiratsuyu have a buff?

32 comments in this topic

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles

This boat is really only a tiny upgrade over the Hatsuharu. Yet it has to deal with much more dangerous DD's and radar cruisers. With worse AA to boot. 

It's torps are OK but are easily dodged most of the time (used to score 5x more torp hits with the Hatsuharu) Its terrible, slow and poor hitting guns are awful if you have to slug it out with a enemy DD. I've gone back to using smoke rather than the torp reload booster as all too often I needed to get to cover and hide.

Just annoying when I found a Benson with only 4k health left late in the game and I had full health, yet I was absolutely shredded in 10 seconds and destroyed where as the Benson somehow shrugs off the damage and gets away (cost our team the game)

Ideally its guns need a overhaul, firing 40++ HE shells into a Bismarck for less than 3k damage and no fires. They also have the turn rate of a tier 5 BB and the reload speed of a heavy cruiser. I've gone all the way to tier 10 with the Japanese DD line but I prefer tier 6-7, but this boat is just a lesson in frustration. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[Y0L0]
Members
10,062 posts
15,168 battles

I just reground shiratsuyu   and still kept my WR above 70% for the bote.  It is not a bad bote.  decent guns,  decent torps.   I used smoke instead of torp reloader due to more CV, but still did well.       it is pretty strong gun but slower reload.      positioning and patience is key with good map awareness.   you can't be as aggressive, and being too aggressive is wrong style at high tier anyway. 

[POP]
Members
2,163 posts
19,331 battles
34 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

This boat is really only a tiny upgrade over the Hatsuharu. Yet it has to deal with much more dangerous DD's and radar cruisers. With worse AA to boot. 

It's torps are OK but are easily dodged most of the time (used to score 5x more torp hits with the Hatsuharu) Its terrible, slow and poor hitting guns are awful if you have to slug it out with a enemy DD. I've gone back to using smoke rather than the torp reload booster as all too often I needed to get to cover and hide.

Just annoying when I found a Benson with only 4k health left late in the game and I had full health, yet I was absolutely shredded in 10 seconds and destroyed where as the Benson somehow shrugs off the damage and gets away (cost our team the game)

Ideally its guns need a overhaul, firing 40++ HE shells into a Bismarck for less than 3k damage and no fires. They also have the turn rate of a tier 5 BB and the reload speed of a heavy cruiser. I've gone all the way to tier 10 with the Japanese DD line but I prefer tier 6-7, but this boat is just a lesson in frustration. 

Its not RUSSIAN you got no chance :Smile_teethhappy:

• Boring 1

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
487 posts
8,642 battles

how about no! the smelly junk boat needs to be nerfed. They sprinkled to much freaken fairy dust over the stupid boat that its overpowered compaired to what it should be. The reload on its guns should be closer to 12 seconds and the damage reduced by another 600 . the torpedos need to have a 8.5k detection and reload every 5 minutes. but no they made the ship too strong.

• Confused 2
  • Angry 2

[PVE]
Members
3,915 posts
22,121 battles
1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

What if it had the ability to equip smoke and TRB at the same time? :Smile_trollface:

It used to...lost that ability when the IJN DD line got split.

It was far & away the most OP DD for its tier spread prior to that.

[WORX]
Members
6,575 posts
16,206 battles

Fat chance IMO. Just look all the torpedo nerfs in the 0.8.0.1 series of patches to the current one...

I think with all sincerity

• AP dmg will get buffed
  • Fire will get buffed
  • HE will get buffed
  • Mindless secondaries will get buffed

All this ships with the above notes will get buffed before any torp DD or ship will get buffed... I dont think they will nerf the above noted just to make room for torps and flood DMG... Fat chance...

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles
2 hours ago, usspaul3 said:

how about no! the smelly junk boat needs to be nerfed. They sprinkled to much freaken fairy dust over the stupid boat that its overpowered compaired to what it should be. The reload on its guns should be closer to 12 seconds and the damage reduced by another 600 . the torpedos need to have a 8.5k detection and reload every 5 minutes. but no they made the ship too strong.

It's torps are pretty bad tbh. 2 into a Tipitz flank earlier did under 18k damage..

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It used to...lost that ability when the IJN DD line got split.

It was far & away the most OP DD for its tier spread prior to that.

The Shiratsuyu did not exist prior to the IJN DD line split.

Members
3,947 posts
4,234 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Shiratsuyu did not exist prior to the IJN DD line split.

It did in our hearts. What I would do is buff the guns. Make it the Icarus to Yudachi's Gallant.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,170 posts
16,493 battles
18 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

It's torps are pretty bad tbh. 2 into a Tipitz flank earlier did under 18k damage..

Feel free to disregard that usspaul3 clown. His posts are filled with an alarming amount of hatred toward anything Japanese, and it's clear he won't be satisfied until every IJN ship spontaneously combusts upon pressing the W-key.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,144 posts
12,807 battles

Smoke and TRB was too much, but smoke or TRB is too little. 

If you run smoke you're just a stealthier Akatsuki, but at the cost of gun arrangement and number, torpedo broadside, torpedo DPM, 300hp and 4kt speed. Not great. In fact a pretty awful trade.

While Shiratsuyu does have some positives, decent HE alpha, very good stealth for T7 that's hard to overall exploit on the platform she provides. I think some boost would be reasonable.

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
487 posts
8,642 battles

no none of the ijn dd or ships should get any kind of buffs. they need to be nerfed. The ijn line is not ment to be competitive they should all be last in every stat in the game. Worst concealment , worst speed, worst guns, worst torpedos.  There alpha on there guns should be the worst. there reload on the guns should be closer in line with battlecrusiers and turrant traverse at the lvl of battleships. The pentration on there guns should not be 1/5 but 1/8 and the 100mm guns should have pen changed from 1/4 to 1/10. There torpedos should have concealments that equal to there range. Do only a few thousand damage and swim in the ocean the slowest.

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
36 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

It did in our hearts. What I would do is buff the guns. Make it the Icarus to Yudachi's Gallant.

Prior to the rework, the line looked like this from tier 5 upwards.

5: Minekaze

6: Mutsuki

7: Hatsuharu

8: Fubuki

9: Kagero

10: Shimekaze

[PVE]
Members
3,915 posts
22,121 battles
11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Prior to the rework, the line looked like this from tier 5 upwards.

5: Minekaze

6: Mutsuki

7: Hatsuharu

8: Fubuki

9: Kagero

10: Shimekaze

You're right...I stand corrected...it was the "floating turd (Hat's nickname for some back then)" that came before the Fubuki...I was remembering the Shira at T7 back then & the split being the reason the Shira was nerfed but I guess it was the intro to the higher tier IJN gunboats that probably caused that nerf so only single rack ships get that advantage.

Old age creeping up...& at only 54...oh boy.

[LODGE]
Members
371 posts
19,501 battles

It's Akatsuki that needs a buff - its concealment should be 6.2 or 6.1. Gadjah Mada needs a nerf to 6.3 or 6.4 concealment.

One problem with Shiratsuyu is the fact that launchers with more torpedoes take longer to reload, which means a ship with three launchers with two torpedoes each will be ready to shoot again faster than a ship with two launchers with three torpedoes each, even though they both have six torpedoes. Akatsuki shoots nine torpedoes in less time than Shiratsuyu shoots eight, and they're the exact same torpedoes. Look at how long it takes Tashkent to shoot nine torpedoes compared to how long it takes Kiev to shoot ten. It's not just 11% longer for Kiev.

Edited by BarnacleCollector

Members
2,484 posts
86 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Short of being detonated or being torped, a Benson cannot kill a full HP Shiratsuyu in 10 seconds even if accounting for AR. Also, WHY ARE YOU NOT SHOOTING YOUR GUNS?

Gitgud please. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[LODGE]
Members
371 posts
19,501 battles

Maybe he was stock and didn't have SE. Also, what he describes is plausible (except for the timeframe). I nearly got killed as a full health Akatsuki (with SE) by a nearly dead Mahan who came out of his smoke towards me. I couldn't freaking turn my garbage guns to shoot him and he nearly killed me but a teammate got him first. I didn't get off a single shot because Japanese destroyer guns are trash with cruiser gun-turning speed.

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
23 minutes ago, usspaul3 said:

no none of the ijn dd or ships should get any kind of buffs. they need to be nerfed. The ijn line is not ment to be competitive they should all be last in every stat in the game. Worst concealment , worst speed, worst guns, worst torpedos.  There alpha on there guns should be the worst. there reload on the guns should be closer in line with battlecrusiers and turrant traverse at the lvl of battleships. The pentration on there guns should not be 1/5 but 1/8 and the 100mm guns should have pen changed from 1/4 to 1/10. There torpedos should have concealments that equal to there range. Do only a few thousand damage and swim in the ocean the slowest.

:Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
Members
3,915 posts
22,121 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Yeah...but before it was nerfed (at the time the IJN gunboat line got advanced beyond the Akiziki) it had smoke & torp reload boost & it would have had 2 more racks of torps to follow up those 2 hits in short order.

But the advancement brought the new rule of only 1 rack of torps gets both smoke & reload (unless you have deep water torps in a premium that only hit BBs & CVs).

The Shira's could use a buff now as it's guns don't justify it being in the gunboat line...at least not w/all the power creep since the nerf.

I'd agree w/the OP that it could use a bit of a gun buff just to be classified as an actual gun boat...it's strength when it came out was definitely it's torps.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,170 posts
16,493 battles
36 minutes ago, BarnacleCollector said:

It's Akatsuki that needs a buff - its concealment should be 6.2 or 6.1.

Personally I'd like another 2k HP so I could be a bit more gunboaty with it, but failing that, 0.3 off the detection would be my second choice.

Members
2,484 posts
86 battles
40 minutes ago, BarnacleCollector said:

Maybe he was stock and didn't have SE. Also, what he describes is plausible (except for the timeframe). I nearly got killed as a full health Akatsuki (with SE) by a nearly dead Mahan who came out of his smoke towards me. I couldn't freaking turn my garbage guns to shoot him and he nearly killed me but a teammate got him first. I didn't get off a single shot because Japanese destroyer guns are trash with cruiser gun-turning speed.

The fact that you are not preemptively pointing your guns towards the direction of the smoked Mahan is your fault.

You have to be proactive in the usage of IJN DD guns, not reactive. Too many IJN DD players complain about "garbage guns" only to find out that they are treating IJN DD guns like US DD guns. 

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

Sign in to follow this