You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Nordlaender

Co-op Games Broken

15 comments in this topic

[_HW_]
Members
269 posts
5,258 battles

I have recently noticed that many Co-op games just suddenly stop before all of the enemy ships have been destroyed.  I will be attacking a battleship and the game will just end for no reason.

What is going on?

No Victory has been achieved by points, or time, or even capturing all zones.  This is grossly unfair to a lot of players, especially BB players who might not get in more than a few shots before the game ends because of DDs and CLs killing most of the bots.  I am a DD player and I kind of feel sorry for anyone trying to test or learn to play a BB in Co-op.  They are consistently down at the bottom after the game ends because they can't reach the enemy BBs before they are torpedoed or the game just stops!  It often happens even when I am playing as a DD as well.

Since Co-op is for learning and also for fun, I don't think any Co-op game should end before all of the enemy ships have been destroyed, thus giving everyone a chance to play.

By the same token, I just watched a Co-op game that went on and on with only bots doing the most stupid things I could imagine.  Any Co-op game that only has bots left in it should probably end so a player can use his ship for another battle instead of waiting 5-10 minutes for idiocy to continue unrestrained.

Please fix this bug in Co-op games.  Let the game continue until all enemy bot ships have been destroyed by players.  If only bots are left, then end it.

Thanks!

• Cool 3

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,013 battles
13 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

What is going on?

Sinking every enemy ship is only one of the victory conditions. The others are getting to 1000 points first, being ahead on points when time expires and capturing the enemy base area before they capture yours. 

13 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

Please fix this bug in Co-op games.  Let the game continue until all enemy bot ships have been destroyed by players.  If only bots are left, then end it.

It isn't a bug and NO! 

By the way all of the other battle modes can and often do end the same way.

Members
2,642 posts
7,566 battles

It’s been a long running complaint about co-op battles (often referred to as a mercy rule) where one of the victory/loss conditions is one team’s points going down to 0. Additionally, in standard battle, if the enemy base is captured the game ends automatically as well. These victory conditions are the same across all modes except scenarios.

For the bots only co-op games, the game will end as soon as the last human player leaves the game, but it will count as a loss. If one human player stays in the game after all human controlled ships are sunk, the game will continue to play out until one team meets one of the other victory conditions.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,947 posts
23,545 battles
56 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

I have recently noticed that many Co-op games just suddenly stop before all of the enemy ships have been destroyed.  I will be attacking a battleship and the game will just end for no reason.

What is going on?

No Victory has been achieved by points, or time, or even capturing all zones.  This is grossly unfair to a lot of players, especially BB players who might not get in more than a few shots before the game ends because of DDs and CLs killing most of the bots.  I am a DD player and I kind of feel sorry for anyone trying to test or learn to play a BB in Co-op.  They are consistently down at the bottom after the game ends because they can't reach the enemy BBs before they are torpedoed or the game just stops!  It often happens even when I am playing as a DD as well.

Since Co-op is for learning and also for fun, I don't think any Co-op game should end before all of the enemy ships have been destroyed, thus giving everyone a chance to play.

By the same token, I just watched a Co-op game that went on and on with only bots doing the most stupid things I could imagine.  Any Co-op game that only has bots left in it should probably end so a player can use his ship for another battle instead of waiting 5-10 minutes for idiocy to continue unrestrained.

Thanks!

Let me make this completely plain for you.

THIS IS NOT A "BUG". 

This is the Mercy Rule causing the battles to end before all bot ships are sunk.  It's working as designed.

I get that some people, many people don't like the mercy rule in coop.  But the fact that people may not like it DOES NOT make it a "bug"!!!  And frankly, there are times when I'm quite happy that the battle ends early, like when the last ship is a CV that's hiding way in the back, because I'd rather have the battle ended then and there instead of having to waste time trying to seek out and run down the enemy CV.

Honestly, I don't think that the Mercy Rule in coop is that big a deal.  Just jump into another battle ASAP and you'll end up making more XP and credits than you would from coming here to complain about it.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[_HW_]
Members
269 posts
5,258 battles
18 hours ago, Crucis said:

Let me make this completely plain for you.

You are not good at making things plain.  You are also arrogant.

This "Mercy Rule" you speak of makes no sense when ships are actually engaged in close quarters combat.  The only thing you mentioned that makes sense is the CV hiding far away, but if it is about to be torpedoed or is under fire, then the game should not end.  If no ship is near it, then end the game.  Simple.

Those who are too far away to reach the remaining ships can simply exit the battle.  Simple.  They can show "mercy".  I do that all of the time.  And why should bot battles continue?

To be cheated out of the chance to sink an enemy battleship that is 2 km away right after you have launched your torpedoes is just plain stupid.  It denies you experience, damage and credits.

If the Mercy Rule is working as designed, then it is a flawed design that cheats players in the middle of a battle, does not end the battle when only bots are left, and prevents players from "jumping into another battle" because their ship is dead and still tied up in a bot battle that may last another 5-7 minutes.

It needs to be fixed.  Therefore, it IS a bug.

• Cool 1

[_HW_]
Members
269 posts
5,258 battles

Who wants to wait 5 minutes for this to play out?  Three bot ships stuck in a straight while bot torpedo bombers fail to hit anyone of them:

shot-19_09.25_16_46.42-0940.thumb.jpg.fcc3858220a9c0c55a418201f0dfabad.jpgshot-19_09.25_16_49.22-0048.thumb.jpg.02ba7f700a5851f29b940c6427858d9d.jpgshot-19_09.25_16_48.35-0486.thumb.jpg.3db202e58525d060dfb97bf3dd0b67a9.jpg

[_HW_]
Members
269 posts
5,258 battles
19 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

capturing the enemy base area before they capture yours. 

I understand this and do not have a problem with it, but I have noticed that the battles rarely ever reach 1000 points or run out of time.  Some battles only last 3 minutes.

[_HW_]
Members
269 posts
5,258 battles
19 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

If one human player stays in the game after all human controlled ships are sunk, the game will continue to play out until one team meets one of the other victory conditions.

If one player simply watches the end of the game, is he "still in the game"?

[SALVO]
Members
22,947 posts
23,545 battles
3 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

You are not good at making things plain.  You are also arrogant.

This "Mercy Rule" you speak of makes no sense when ships are actually engaged in close quarters combat.  The only thing you mentioned that makes sense is the CV hiding far away, but if it is about to be torpedoed or is under fire, then the game should not end.  If no ship is near it, then end the game.  Simple.

Those who are too far away to reach the remaining ships can simply exit the battle.  Simple.  They can show "mercy".  I do that all of the time.  And why should bot battles continue?

To be cheated out of the chance to sink an enemy battleship that is 2 km away right after you have launched your torpedoes is just plain stupid.  It denies you experience, damage and credits.

If the Mercy Rule is working as designed, then it is a flawed design that cheats players in the middle of a battle, does not end the battle when only bots are left, and prevents players from "jumping into another battle" because their ship is dead and still tied up in a bot battle that may last another 5-7 minutes.

It needs to be fixed.  Therefore, it IS a bug.

Flawed designs are not bugs.  Bugs are things that cause the program to not function.  I am a professional programmer.  This is NOT something that's debatable.  You clearly don't know the difference between a flawed design and a bug.

You, sir, are ignorant.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

Members
2,642 posts
7,566 battles
1 hour ago, Nordlaender said:

Yes, as long as there is one human player who has not exited to port (either still alive and playing or dead and spectating) there’s still a player in the game and the game will keep running. 

• Cool 1

[_HW_]
Members
269 posts
5,258 battles
8 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Yes, as long as there is one human player who has not exited to port (either still alive and playing or dead and spectating) there’s still a player in the game and the game will keep running. 

Hey, thanks for letting me know that.  I really appreciate it and also your polite response.

Since several people have said this issue has come up before and nothing was done about it, I will not say anything more than that it is a shame WG did not listen to the player's comments. I don't play Co-op for speed games, but to test out new ships and tactics.  That takes time.  I rarely post here because of the screaming, yelling, and arrogance of the responses. ("Mercy Rule" is not something WG has ever written about as far as I know, so why would I know about such a strange rule?)

Anyway, thanks for the info!

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,947 posts
23,545 battles
40 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

Hey, thanks for letting me know that.  I really appreciate it and also your polite response.

Since several people have said this issue has come up before and nothing was done about it, I will not say anything more than that it is a shame WG did not listen to the player's comments. I don't play Co-op for speed games, but to test out new ships and tactics.  That takes time.  I rarely post here because of the screaming, yelling, and arrogance of the responses. ("Mercy Rule" is not something WG has ever written about as far as I know, so why would I know about such a strange rule?)

Anyway, thanks for the info!

There is nothing strange about the Mercy Rule.  It exists more for Randoms so that players on losing teams aren't forced to play long past the point the time when a battle's been clearly decided, and force them to choose between mounting frustration and getting punished for bailing out on a battle due to that frustration.  The Mercy Rule largely exists in coop because coop and randoms are run using the same set of rules after the battles start.  Only their MM differs.  Also, mercy rules exist in real life sports as well, such as little league baseball.

[VOP]
Members
433 posts
8,970 battles
On 9/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, Nordlaender said:

Yes, as far as keeping it active for a possible win.  I have been in battles where the only survivors were bots and stayed to watch.  It turned out a friendly bot won by cap or killed the last enemy.  If I would have left it would have been a guaranteed loss.

• Cool 1