You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

If you have to pick one: Montana or Republique?

29 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,462 posts
1,670 battles

I'm getting close to both but only have the resources for one of them right now. Which one fits the game better right now? I'm leaning Montana due to 38mm deck and 12 gun broadside. Would Republique's speed and rate of fire make up for Montana's strengths? 

[UN1]
Members
718 posts
2,685 battles

Montana is a more consistent and better armored platform for sure.  You can't beat 12-gun accurate broadsides, 38mm deck armor, and no-fly zone AA.

The Republique is a little rough in a heavy HE environment, but overall a faster, more lethal, and more flexible platform.  That said, I also suck with the Republique (and Gascogne, haha).  You can run the Republique as a purist defensive build, a full on secondary build, or even kit out her AA potential. 

They're both great ships. 

Edited by Ranari

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles

Personally prefer the more universal Montana, who doesn't get pillaged by CLs and most CAs that badly like FR & RN BBs do.  But Republique does have one good advantage in her guns outside the ROF... 430mm, which Overmatches 30mm armor sections found on certain Tier X Cruisers around their mid section to troll even 419mm, 420mm, 406mm AP.  Republique's 430mm is just barely in the realm to laugh at 30mm and cleave right on through.  When the FR BB Line fully released, a bunch of people were in love with the guns on Republique and did better damage than they would have thought... That's because of the reload and the 430mm Overmatch advantage, which is great in dealing with Cruisers also.

Another useful thing is that Republique is flexible in build options.  You can build for Main Battery and you're good to go.  Slap on Survival Build and your'e set.  You can also do Secondary Spec and you'll have Secondaries that rival GK's.  She gives you viable options.

Again, I like Montana overall for the universal gunnery but the Republique's strengths aren't to be trifled with.  Montana is good offensively and defensively, a good balance.  Republique is better offensively, but HE Spammers are a concern as they DPM you down easily.  Another concern the 32mm armor Republique is coated with, is that IJN 460mm Overmatches you all over the place.  Just as Yamato laughs at 32mm bows, she'll laugh at that 32mm deck of FR & RN BBs.

And Yamato, last I saw, is a pretty popular bote.

Sorry the answer isn't clear cut, both are great Battleships :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NSEW]
Members
1,532 posts
9,711 battles

I chose the Montana, due to the sheer number of guns she has. As well as being a "universal" ship as others have mentioned. She doesn't suffer from the onslaught of the HE shells vs the Republique.  Not that Republique is not a battleship, I just can't seem to think her more as a super duper heavy cruiser.

• Cool 1

Members
618 posts
26 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'm getting close to both but only have the resources for one of them right now. Which one fits the game better right now? I'm leaning Montana due to 38mm deck and 12 gun broadside. Would Republique's speed and rate of fire make up for Montana's strengths? 

reset go for Ohio

• Boring 2

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,885 posts
9,171 battles

Montana always fits the game, tier 10 is very much balanced around the games founding tier 10 bbs, Montana and Yamato. So it is and will always be a safe choice.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles
10 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

reset go for Ohio

Ohio doesn't look like she's worth it at all.  Not to the tune of 62k RPs.

I've watched several post-release videos and the gunnery fails to impress, which was what I was looking mostly for.

Mega Secondaries sounds great until you realize that at Tier X she's barely faster than Yamato and most everything can stay out of Secondaries range.  GK, Republique have speed to make the Secondaries a threat, but not a 28kt BB in Tier X.

To the tune of 62k RPs, she looks like a ripoff.

Members
618 posts
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ohio doesn't look like she's worth it at all.  Not to the tune of 62k RPs.

I've watched several post-release videos and the gunnery fails to impress, which was what I was looking mostly for.

Mega Secondaries sounds great until you realize that at Tier X she's barely faster than Yamato and most everything can stay out of Secondaries range.  GK, Republique have speed to make the Secondaries a threat, but not a 28kt BB in Tier X.

To the tune of 62k RPs, she looks like a ripoff.

hate to break it too u man. stay at iowa and move to another line then. its the meta, makes monty obsolete. 

• Boring 3

[R-R-R]
Members
1,031 posts
9,164 battles

Republique for sure. She has very punchy guns and really fast speed to reposition. 

Montana is too easy to counter by angling and dodging with her small caliber shells with low penetration and also slow shell speed.

• Confused 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles
7 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

hate to break it too u man. stay at iowa and move to another line then. its the meta, makes monty obsolete. 

Doubt.

And people said Conqueror made Montana obsolete also.

So yeah.

Doubt.

Also:

3bkb0t.jpg

[-WTP-]
Members
955 posts
8,275 battles
18 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy:

No.

[SIDE]
Members
2,639 posts

Montana. It is the one ring to rule them all. I'm not sure how this is even a question. They are about as opposite as you can get. I have all T10 BB, got them doing long grinds and have in one way or another purchased/acquired every premium BB tier 8+ except Kii and Ohio. The Line 10's all offer something unique and are all worthwhile. Montana is just... great. Repub isn't terrible, needs gimmicks to be its most effective and still comes up short in most random matches.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

Members
618 posts

Guarantee you will regret getting monty. Do it so I can be right 

your better off resetting for ohio

or buying georgia " put your 19pt cappy on that" and moving to another line

Edited by nastydamnanimal
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles
8 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

Guarantee you will regret getting monty. Do it so I can be right 

your better off resetting for ohio

or buying georgia and moving to another line

Ohio's gunnery is pretty mediocre looking.  And for the price tag of 62k RPs, it looks downright terrible.

Members
618 posts
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ohio's gunnery is pretty mediocre looking.  And for the price tag of 62k RPs, it looks downright terrible.

Id go Georgia guns are very good, she holds up in ranked. Proven 2019 competitor

Edited by nastydamnanimal

[WOLF3]
Members
22,454 posts
20,530 battles
10 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

Id go Georgia guns are very good, she holds up in ranked. Proven 2019 competitor

Georgia is solid, her speed makes her combination of secondaries and main battery a dangerous overall package.  Given the opportunity, Georgia has the ability to impose her will upon an unwilling foe.  Even in the realm of High Tier BBs, she's a unique beast.

I don't see that in Ohio.  Yeah, more guns than Georgia, but at 27 seconds base reload, which typically isn't going to be improved upon because APRM2 is being used in Slot 6, not MBM3... The gunnery doesn't look too good.  The Secondaries are fantastic, but I'm not scared of a Mega Secondaries BB that can only go 28kts, not when the standard is faster in High Tier.  Been watching a lot of these post-Ohio-release videos on YouTube, even by German and Spanish players, to watch those Ohio guns in action.  They don't impress me.  Not to the tune of 62k RPs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,037 posts
17,200 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I have yet to dev strike a Zao from 25km in my Monty in the first 5 minutes of a Clan Battle....

I have yet to get a double strike with my secondaries in my Monty...

Republique's strengths are secondaries outrageous range and fast firing main guns.

When you get the legendary on Republique,  your range suffers and your ROF screams as if your on adrenaline rush already...

My Monty is probably my least played T10 BB, but man I enjoy her....

You do have a tough decision,  but I lean towards the Republique with secondaries and tank build.

Members
2,641 posts
7,566 battles

They’re both good ships, personally I love Montana since it’s such a universal BB - hard hitting guns with good accuracy (and you have 12 of them), speed, AA, decent armor, and can work in any range (sniping, mid range support, and brawling). You’re also a lot tankier since you have a thicker deck to resist more HE spam compared to the 32mm that Republique is liberally coated with everywhere. Republique has the speed and faster reloading guns (as well as the 30mm overmatch that Montana doesn’t have, although it can still overmatch all cruiser bows with its 406mm guns) with better shell velocity, as well as a secondary suite that can rival the Germans when fully specced for it. Another thing to keep in mind is that Republique’s guns are in two quad turrets, so you have to show a lot more side to get more than four guns onto a target, and if you lose a turret you’re down a full 50% of your firepower.

It really comes down to whether you want a fast flanker that can push into secondary range and shred thinly armored ships, or a very strong all rounder than can resist more damage and dish out pain just as consistently with more guns. I prefer the universal jack of all trades nature of Montana, but both work well in their give role.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles
2 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Monty hands down.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
4,464 battles

Repub is way better. 

• Speed/Mobility of a cruiser.
  • Better Velocity/Reload on Main guns.
  • Overmatches 30MM Armor.
  • Stronger Secondaries.
  • Turtleback that's more difficult to citadel then Monty's flat belt.

Honestly I prefer Iowa over Montana.