You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
y_vonne

it's just a game

20 comments in this topic

[0456]
Members
440 posts
8,789 battles

the funny thing is for every time we're reminded, 'it's just a game', there are others that pontificate like they're addressing the United Nations, (if WOWS is the subject of anyone's thesis, pardon me) & others that take offense to every single comment made by complete strangers be it in game or the forums.  it's ridiculous.  if i took everything i've heard, read, to heart, i'd be curled up in a fetal position with my comfort dog talking to my therapist.  presumably if ur playing WOWS or posting, ur in a fairly 'safe space'.  get over it, it's just a game

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[3COWS]
Members
710 posts
8 minutes ago, y_vonne said:

the funny thing is for every time we're reminded, 'it's just a game', there are others that pontificate like they're addressing the United Nations, (if WOWS is the subject of anyone's thesis, pardon me) & others that take offense to every single comment made by complete strangers be it in game or the forums.  it's ridiculous.  if i took everything i've heard, read, to heart, i'd be curled up in a fetal position with my comfort dog talking to my therapist.  presumably if ur playing WOWS or posting, ur in a fairly 'safe space'.  get over it, it's just a game

Everything all good bud?

[0456]
Members
440 posts
8,789 battles
10 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Everything all good bud?

all good. personally i don't like to see people upset, be it in real life or the virtual world so i remind myself as well

8 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

Its just a game, but some of us like win.

i hate losing enough to have made a alt account.  i've heard it said, ' i hate losing more than i like winning'.  i subscribe to that.  game or not

[WOLFG]
Members
497 posts

I have to admit...there is nothing that throws me off my game like somebody who has to shoot off their big, know nothing, mouth...usually after they are dead.  They do more to destroy a game than the reds.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,166 posts
6,319 battles

With games people react in different ways when the especially lose....Some will just shrug it off and others will become upset. Its just the way it is.   Now add in the random element of events and then when those events occur not in your favor...well then you might blow a head gasket for sure.  I think most like a fair fight but WOW is not one to design that into the game. We have uneven tiers and ships with various options and captain points. For every battle even if there is an identical ship more than likely the "Other" equipment is not the same stacking the odds against you if your playing your ship as bare naked if you know what I mean.  Such is the game as it is.

[TNG-2]
Members
2,038 posts
4,301 battles

Maybe just a game, but Im a very competitive person and want to win at everything i do.

• Cool 3

[IXM]
Members
599 posts
3,305 battles

But but.....some people need being good in this game to be a major part of their life because they don't have one.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[GWG]
Supertester
22,803 posts
12,776 battles

I think most players including unicums play the game because it is fun. It is really only a small percentage of the players of all levels that have that must win attitude.

[H_]
Members
2,892 posts
13,291 battles
1 hour ago, y_vonne said:

Actually, this forum and dozens of other game forums are used in Academia....  A small part of my thesis comes from the concept of F2P asymmetrical systems designs.....   Some gaming corporations encourage graduate study ! 

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
44 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

But but.....some people need being good in this game to be a major part of their life because they don't have one.

Bingo!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CAST]
Members
2,025 posts
9,295 battles

"It's just a game".  Most, including myself, play games for fun.  But, the object of the game is to win.   If other players don't want to play the objective, it ruins it for the ones that do.  Now, winning isn't everything.  Someone has to lose.  There is nothing wrong with losing, as long as everyone on the losing side played hard in the attempt to win.  It's the good attempt that makes the game fun.  You can always find a bright spot, even in a losing game, if you did the best you could.  

Some players derp around and essentially ruin the experience for others.  They are bad teammates, and can be frustrating for those that genuinely try to compete.  The same concept can be applied to any game.  Imagine the frustration if you were paired up with a random player in a 2 vs 2 basketball game, and everytime you passed the ball to your partner, they heaved it out of bounds, because they thought it was funny to do that.  Then they chirped up, "Hey, just chill out.  It's only a game."  It wouldn't be much fun for the other player.

Some do have an issue with losing, and no matter what, they will be sour at any loss.  Those people will be sour no matter what.  This is not the game for those people, because it is a group of random people that they have no control over.

If everyone just tried their best and actively engaged in the object of the game, most players would be happy with it.

• Cool 2

[0456]
Members
440 posts
8,789 battles
42 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

people's motivations are neither here nor there to me, but 1 would think upon hitting 'battle', all other potential differences would be set aside seeing we're all playing the same game. that should be common bond enough

39 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It is really only a small percentage of the players of all levels that have that must win attitude.

yes.  they're called unicums, lol.  i don't believe for a second that the majority, if not all unicums are'nt competitive

43 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I think most players including unicums play the game because it is fun

i can imagine playing as a unicum would be fun, but are losses really less enjoyable to the casual player than winning?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Supertester
22,803 posts
12,776 battles
12 minutes ago, y_vonne said:

yes.  they're called unicums, lol.  i don't believe for a second that the majority, if not all unicums are'nt competitive

And when they are not unicums they are whiners but they both have the same must win attitude.

[3COWS]
Members
710 posts
1 hour ago, y_vonne said:

all good. personally i don't like to see people upset, be it in real life or the virtual world so i remind myself as well

i hate losing enough to have made a alt account.  i've heard it said, ' i hate losing more than i like winning'.  i subscribe to that.  game or not

I have my ingame chat off, I do not regret it at all :) 

Well if you are down for some games just hit me up any time bud,

I hope you have a happy day gaming though :) 

• Cool 1

Members
1,072 posts
5 hours ago, Vector03 said:

Winner.  People get that deeply invested in how important their game stats are...because they have nothing else in their life that they feel good about.  Insecurity...

Edited by agm114r
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles

I had a game the other day, and it was down to the wire, before it ended there was an explosion in chat from the reds saying what a wonderful game it was, and it was anyone's up to a certain point, I think at that stage, people stopped thinking about winning and loosing, and more about the experience it had brought them, regardless of the out come, but what I took from it was when some red players openly stated how well some of our ships, and theirs had done great.  

It was a rare game for me seeing this in the chat, I can only hope I see more of it.

We all like to win, but when I can call a loss, a victory, I know I have had fun.

• Cool 1