Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
QWERTYEel89

Having a massive issue with HE shells not penetrating

4 comments in this topic

Members
104 posts
2,322 battles

Just got out of a battle with my Des Monies in which 75 percent of my HE shells did nothing as it rained down on a Lenin. Down, not into, even. I understand HE  follows a different mechanic for pen than AP but too many times in so many ships I have seen this happen. Only being up close seems to mitigate that be even then no more than 2k salvos at best. Lot of inconsistency. Whereas other players who drop HE on me are getting 5k salvos constantly. I'm aiming for the superstructure or at least I think I am. I've been watching vids of everything regarding pen and damage mechanic but that seems to fly at the window in battle. I fire into broadside bb along the waterline and half my shells ricochet. There's gotta be something I'm missing. Also dodging fire seems to be a lot harder for me than anyone else can't seem to reliably hit anyone beyond 10km with them knowing it's coming but slowing down or trying to drift still seems to lead me into their fire. Just a tad frustrated right now. I know this was supposed to be a question about one thing and I'm kinda ranting but I don't wanna shelf this game like wot again since there's a lot of opportunities for fun here.

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,926 posts
3,227 battles

Lenin has 45mm deck armor, so your 203mm HE isn't going to pen. Only superstructure hits will do damage, and that will saturate quickly.

HE pen only depends on caliber, velocity and angle doesn't matter. For most HE the pen is caliber divided by 6. German guns, IJN 100mm, and RN BBs have caliber divided by 4 HE.

HE does not overpen, but does 33% full damage on a normal pen. Unless the ship area has been saturated, which means the HP for that part has been depleted. In that case HE will do much less damage.

You don't want to be aiming for superstructure, because it will saturate quickly. You want lightly armored areas with large HP pools (the ship models are divided into sections, each of which have their own HP which is related, but not the same, as the overall HP). That way you do full pen damage and don't saturate. Deck is often a good target, but the RU BBs have very strong decks which defeat this. The reason people do so much HE damage to you is because the Des Moines has armor that can be penned by HE. Upper belt, bow, stern, and deck sections are good targets for HE. You have to know the armor values somewhat, but it's much more reliable damage.

AP even at point blank range against BBs is tricky. Some have an internal turtleback which will bounce, as will a slight angle with the thickness of the belt armor on a BB. Unless you have a flat broadside at point blank range on a USN, IJN, or RN BB aim for the upper belt instead of the waterline.

Aiming and dodging, you just need practice. DM is hard to hit things with, and not great at dodging. Use islands, and just practice shooting.

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
3,165 posts
13,519 battles
2 hours ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

Just got out of a battle with my Des Monies in which 75 percent of my HE shells did nothing as it rained down on a Lenin.

Well, bad example there. Soviet BBs have unusually high deck armour that makes them resist direct HE damage quite well. If they are now on, the only damage you are going to do is superstructure and fires. Damage saturation is a thing.

You need to move to the side so you can get better hits into the sides of the bow or stern plates for solid damage numbers. 

I fire into broadside bb along the waterline and half my shells ricochet. There's gotta be something I'm missing.

Well, firing HE into armoured sections is just going to make them shatter. They may still do a roll for setting a fire, but it won’t do direct damage into an armoured belt. 

AP into a battleship’s armoured belt also probably isn’t the best idea as the DM is a cruiser with 8 inch guns. Most battleships carried enough armour to resist their own gun caliber from a certain engagement range. If you, in the DM, are super close and the battleship is turning to expose soft underbelly or similar, then sure give it a go and you might get some great citadel ribbons. Personally, in such a situation I aim for the upper half of the hull and try to pump AP into that - you’ll generally pen (not overpen), and you would be doing some 10k damage every 4-5 seconds or so. 

Now, if it a cruiser that was broadside to you, then sure go nuts and seek those citadel ribbons. 

Also dodging fire seems to be a lot harder for me than anyone else can't seem to reliably hit anyone beyond 10km with them knowing it's coming but slowing down or trying to drift still seems to lead me into their fire. Just a tad frustrated right now.

The best time to start dodging is just before they are about to fire; waiting until the muzzle flash means you’re most likely going to be hit. Still, dodging anything high tier at 10km is going to be hard. But it is about timing the turn so it commenced before the enemy fires but doesn’t take perceptible effect until after they have fired. This can be hard to do, but usually it takes a few seconds to notice if you have thrown the ship into full reverse, so if you then hard over at the time you see the flash then it can look like your ship stopped on a dime. 

Sign in to follow this