Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
QWERTYEel89

Bow in Penetration

8 comments in this topic

Members
104 posts
2,322 battles

Yeah, I seem to get penned from the front by all bbs while driving any bbs. Just happened against an NC in my Georgia. Thing is I can't seem to help but bounce anything slightly angled. How does one even do ap damage to a bb front on? I hear aim for the superstructure or use he (no bb uses he against my when we're face to face I notice and I ended losing 7k to their 1-2k yea my shells fly past it up close or overpen for no damage. As for turrets I get a lot of no dmg pens (in general actually). It's annoying. Seems to be a lot of inconsistency with the mechanics. Georgia was the latest incident but I've had in ships where you're supposed to stay perfectly straight when brawling (NC).

[WOLFX]
Members
240 posts
11,023 battles

It depends a lot on the BB in question. If the superstructure visible above the front turrets extends a fair distance along the length of the ship, a full pen within the superstructure is possible. If it's thin like the towers on some Japanese BBs, it'll overpen instead.

That's before talking about specific overmatch matchups between specific pairs of BBs, too.

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,306 posts
5,086 battles
On 9/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, QWERTYEel89 said:

Yeah, I seem to get penned from the front by all bbs while driving any bbs. Just happened against an NC in my Georgia. Thing is I can't seem to help but bounce anything slightly angled. How does one even do ap damage to a bb front on? I hear aim for the superstructure or use he (no bb uses he against my when we're face to face I notice and I ended losing 7k to their 1-2k yea my shells fly past it up close or overpen for no damage. As for turrets I get a lot of no dmg pens (in general actually). It's annoying. Seems to be a lot of inconsistency with the mechanics. Georgia was the latest incident but I've had in ships where you're supposed to stay perfectly straight when brawling (NC).

1. only yamato and musashi should be overmatching the bows of those ships.
  2. BBs that are bow in are a pretty tough target, generally HE and fire are good ways to out them, or a well positioned torp salvo to get em moving if not out em
  3. superstructure should be last resort. If you know youre going to have to do it, load HE and at least get more damage and maybe a fire.
  4. most BBs dont shoot HE because they dont know how to play, sometimes its the right choice. sure it sucks to have to do it, but some damage is better than none.
  5. no damage pen means either it went into a module (possibly a turret) or ended up in a torp belt where it didnt harm the ship.

The mechanics work very consistently.

honestly i would angle off a few degrees for armor, the front of the bow on some ships can be flat and that can let in shells. Secondaries are also limited in which direction they can shoot, so going bow in means less of those running.

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,306 posts
5,086 battles
1 minute ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Well you can pen the Turrets/Barbettes, sometimes even get Citadels.

AFAIK unless the shell goes through them and then pens the citadel, no. They are separate modules, and will not give cits.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,146 posts
4,464 battles
3 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

AFAIK unless the shell goes through them and then pens the citadel, no. They are separate modules, and will not give cits.

The shell pens the Barbette/Turret then ricochets down ward into the citadel. TaaDaa. I just did it last game to Seattle as well... Ironically in the same ship...

Edited by Stand_Alone97

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,306 posts
5,086 battles
2 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

The shell pens the Barbette/Turret then ricochets down ward into the citadel. TaaDaa. I just did it last game to Seattle as well... Ironically in the same ship...

ok yeah, thats just a cit pen, i mean that the turrets themselves are not apart of the cit hitbox

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,146 posts
4,464 battles
4 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

ok yeah, thats just a cit pen, i mean that the turrets themselves are not apart of the cit hitbox

My bad I worded my first reply poorly. What I meant was if you have AP loaded and someone goes bow in. You can aim for the turrets to either knock them out or try to pen the barbettes(Which you can get lucky cits from.). Then switch to HE etc...

Sign in to follow this