You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

I've taken a liking to the Fairey Swordfish

13 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
5,168 posts
16,241 battles

There is just something fun about this plane, and the Ark Royal that runs them.  A bi-plane at T6.

I've always looked at ways to push forward in my Ranger and Ryujo, to take advantage of the DPM game (i.e., shorter sortie equals bigger DPM...and bigger impact on game).  The downside is if you don't do it properly, you get deleted and lose DPM and much more.  So you really gotta learn through experience when to push, when to run, and especially...where to hide.

This push, run, hide strategy is especially important when playing Ark Royal. Face it...those Swordfish are really really slow.  So you gotta be somewhat aggressive in the Ark Royal in some matches so you can maintain a proper DPM compared to the opposing CV.

There is just something magical about flying those planes.  A little bit of history.  A little bit of strategy.  A lot of fun.   

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,204 posts
20,698 battles

I love the "dive bombers" (level bombers). 

The fact that their target reticle is less oblong and more circular puts a lot of bombs in a small area. Yeah, they dont do tons of damage against big targets but they sure do feel satisfying to use.

[NUWES]
Members
2,614 posts
8,402 battles
2 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There is just something fun about this plane, and the Ark Royal that runs them.  A bi-plane at T6.

I've always looked at ways to push forward in my Ranger and Ryujo, to take advantage of the DPM game (i.e., shorter sortie equals bigger DPM...and bigger impact on game).  The downside is if you don't do it properly, you get deleted and lose DPM and much more.  So you really gotta learn through experience when to push, when to run, and especially...where to hide.

This push, run, hide strategy is especially important when playing Ark Royal. Face it...those Swordfish are really really slow.  So you gotta be somewhat aggressive in the Ark Royal in some matches so you can maintain a proper DPM compared to the opposing CV.

There is just something magical about flying those planes.  A little bit of history.  A little bit of strategy.  A lot of fun.   

I noticed that too. The swordfish are staggeringly slow. It does encourage you to move Ark Royal closer. You also really learn to manage your boost.

I wouldn't call the experience "magical" though. Painful is the word I would use. Those planes make you want to get out and push. The funny part is the wheezing engine noises when you hit boost sound like an underpowered Toyota Corolla I used to own when you tried to push it over 60mph.  I love her hitting power but my god those planes … 

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
405 posts
8,096 battles

I have a love/hate relationship with the Swordfish in their current state.

I love the plane for the fact that it was a bi-plane in a era dominated by new more modern planes yet still go the job done.

I love the look of the plane as well and am so happy WG finally gives us a Torp Swordfish to play (wish they would change the Albacore Torp bomber on the Hermes to Swordfishes as well.)

I can deal with the slow speed But what i cant deal with....the thing i find the most frustrating...the thing that makes me hate the Swordfish is its absolutely horrible turn rate/maneuverability!!

When you compare the Swordfish with the Tier IV Albacore found on the Hermes the difference in maneuverability is night and day.

WG should give the Swordfish the same maneuverability as the Albacore. I mean as far as i know the Swordfish out preformed the Albacore in every way including maneuverability 

Do that WG and I would truly love the Ark Royal.

[U571]
Members
2,025 posts
13,925 battles

Ark Royal teaches you the fine art of Positioning your Carrier, where you can do the most good, meaning you need to be on the bleeding edge of Detection (She has really bad detection).  But the Swordfish are fun.  I enjoy the Ark Royal a lot.

[-K_P-]
Members
320 posts
2,944 battles

I agree the AR is a nice CV to play, but the attack rockets need a buff, Ive played her about a dozen times and I have yet to exceed a 500 HP average damage on the rockets (end screen rocket damage/rockets hit). 

Something seems off with the torp drops even if I have the targeting where the projected paths almost cross they only seem to drop and run parallel.  Is that happening to anyone else?

The carpet bombing is a nice feature, gives good damage scores when you drop right.  Almost like it as good as the AP bombs on the GZ, where I tend to get Citadels on most drops on large ships (there is a trick when dropping on most ships) I'll leave it as - experiment with your approach angle.

[NH]
Members
930 posts
52 minutes ago, Crij said:

I agree the AR is a nice CV to play, but the attack rockets need a buff, Ive played her about a dozen times and I have yet to exceed a 500 HP average damage on the rockets (end screen rocket damage/rockets hit). 

Something seems off with the torp drops even if I have the targeting where the projected paths almost cross they only seem to drop and run parallel.  Is that happening to anyone else?

The carpet bombing is a nice feature, gives good damage scores when you drop right.  Almost like it as good as the AP bombs on the GZ, where I tend to get Citadels on most drops on large ships (there is a trick when dropping on most ships) I'll leave it as - experiment with your approach angle.

Yes, this!!! I thought the RN CVs torpedos were special and they got to converge. Ark Royals dont

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
9,528 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Yes, this!!! I thought the RN CVs torpedos were special and they got to converge. Ark Royals dont

That's odd, I've been playing a bunch of Ark and her torps are converging just fine for me.  Of course if you're manueving much at all the bloom penalty is pretty harsh, and unless you're fully aimed they're likely to run parallel.   I find it to be rather cool how sensitive it is though, it basically gives you the choice whether you want area saturation or converging torps.

[55UP]
Members
295 posts
1,653 battles
5 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

That's odd, I've been playing a bunch of Ark and her torps are converging just fine for me.  Of course if you're manueving much at all the bloom penalty is pretty harsh, and unless you're fully aimed they're likely to run parallel.   I find it to be rather cool how sensitive it is though, it basically gives you the choice whether you want area saturation or converging torps.

If you drop at the last minute, the convergence is really hard to see. But if you drop at the outer edge of their range, the convergence is quite apparent. I use it all the time against BBs. 

Also, it is very satisfying to drop a bunch of bombs through the deck of a Ryujo. I scored over 10k in one pass today. Painful in plane losses, though. 

[NH]
Members
930 posts
1 hour ago, FineousFingers said:

If you drop at the last minute, the convergence is really hard to see. But if you drop at the outer edge of their range, the convergence is quite apparent. I use it all the time against BBs. 

Also, it is very satisfying to drop a bunch of bombs through the deck of a Ryujo. I scored over 10k in one pass today. Painful in plane losses, though. 

That could be what it is. Due to the slow speed of them I drop them pretty close.

[CNO]
Members
5,168 posts
16,241 battles
17 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

That could be what it is. Due to the slow speed of them I drop them pretty close.

Danger close almost every time.  That's my strategy for all my torp squadrons...as close as I can.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,204 posts
6,943 battles

Ark's been proving a darn excellent boat for Killer Whale for me. She's actually got killing power with the 3 per drop torps and the bombs generally start fires pretty well. The rockets are pretty underwhelming, but I'm not impressed with most of the rockets in game. Notable exceptions are the Tiny Tims and Graf Zeppelin's rockets. I used to be pretty good with rockets vs. DDs, but now DDs are so hard to spot and attack with rockets, that I usually opt to go after them with DBs when I have HE bombs. Thus why I tend to like rockets that can punch through more than just a tin can. I never really went hard after DDs other than just spotting them anyways, the meat's always been stripping health off of BBs and cruisers are the potatoes. DDs I'd go after when there was nothing else to do, either from enemy losses or heavy AA concentration.

I should also point out that I mostly work in co-op, largely because I got sick of randoms a couple of years ago (for several different reasons) and DDs tend to not last very long in co-op any way. It's all about trying to do as much damage as fast as possible before your teammates gobble everything up, and CVs have tended to be really bad at doing that since the great flooding nerf. Heck, just the other day, I was working on the flooding mission for the 4th anniversary stuff and was trying to use my Lex to do it, as she generally is my best boat for torp hits (on my USN/Allies account). Even with all of the flood and fire chance buffs I could muster (though lacking DE as a captain skill, plane survivability takes priority with how aggressive I have to be in co-op), it took nearly 10 battles and a great many torp hits to get a flood to stick AND have the ship stay alive long enough to build up any amount of flooding damage. I think all told I only got about 6 floods in that entire span of attempts. 

Any way, back to the Ark, I think she's proving to be a T6 Kaga in terms of how well she can do, she'll struggle sometimes vs. higher tier AA, but if you're on par with or over-tier your target, she's actually fairly powerful. You do have to well aware of how close or far you are from target areas with how slow the swordfish are, but provided you're careful, it makes for a good risk/reward relationship and rewards skilled play while not being a bad boat to learn and practice with. I'm of the opinion that it is unquestionably the best CV for Killer Whale, and stands a good chance of being quite good for many of the other T6 Ops, though Aegis might be too big of a map for the swordfish to work on, in which case Ranger or Ryujo take over as top CV for the op.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222