Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Submarine Torpedo Guide

13 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,620 posts
5,857 battles

Just a quick guide while we wait for the next round of testing.  This covers dumb fire, single lock and double lock homing.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[TARK]
Members
4,290 posts
1,636 battles

Shouldnt this be in the community contributors folder?

It's great to be notified and all...but putting it here defeats the purpose of having an archived place to look for videos like this to show newer players how it works...

[INTEL]
Members
11,386 posts
31,838 battles

The homing torps are stupid beyond belief. They have to go.

"keeps the power of submarines in check"

hahaha no. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,634 posts
8,466 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

hahaha no. 

I haven't gotten an invite yet so I can only say from watching CC videos, but the torps don't turn that well. Alert DDs and cruisers seem to be able to turn and dodge them even if they home. BBs (and likely CVs) not so much. The T6 torps also don't seem to have a lot of range. The subs are in rather close when using them. 

The big issue for me is subs seem to be really all-or-nothing and I don't know how they will balance that. The underwater visuals are really nice though. 

[INTEL]
Members
11,386 posts
31,838 battles
Just now, Tzarevitch said:

I haven't gotten an invite yet so I can only say from watching CC videos, but the torps don't turn that well. Alert DDs and cruisers seem to be able to turn and dodge them even if they home. BBs (and likely CVs) not so much. The T6 torps also don't seem to have a lot of range. The subs are in rather close when using them. 

The big issue for me is subs seem to be really all-or-nothing and I don't know how they will balance that. The underwater visuals are really nice though. 

The visuals do look pretty. If they got rid of homing torps and subs had to torp without a torp guide, that might be balanced.

But if the homing torps make it to the live server, I see no reason to ever purchase a premium BB again. Why pay to be fodder? Sooner or later many people will come to that realization. 

Members
3,685 posts
18,084 battles
1 minute ago, Taichunger said:

Why pay to be fodder? Sooner or later many people will come to that realization. 

That's exactly how I feel with the carriers in the game

And that's why my interest is waning but waiting to see the subs now

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles
6 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

If they got rid of homing torps and subs had to torp without a torp guide, that might be balanced

Get rid of the homing torps and give subs a 25 second torp reload, increase the damage now that they will always hit the torpedo protection, there's balance for you.

I would say "having" homing torps is the brain child of some exec, and no matter what happens they will be in the game, because the exec likes his idea.

I am on the fence about them, far more testing needs to be done, before any kind of constructive criticism can be made, either for or against them

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
11,386 posts
31,838 battles
2 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I would say "having" homing torps is the brain child of some exec, and no matter what happens they will be in the game, because the exec likes his idea.

Yep. 

[187]
Members
1,625 posts
9,572 battles
14 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Get rid of the homing torps and give subs a 25 second torp reload, increase the damage now that they will always hit the torpedo protection, there's balance for you.

I am on the fence about them, far more testing needs to be done, before any kind of constructive criticism can be made, either for or against them

Without even seeing them in action except once they definitely belong in tier 10 on as few subs as possible if even that...it does just sound dumb as all heck homing torps come on....

[NUWES]
Members
2,634 posts
8,466 battles
44 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

The visuals do look pretty. If they got rid of homing torps and subs had to torp without a torp guide, that might be balanced.

But if the homing torps make it to the live server, I see no reason to ever purchase a premium BB again. Why pay to be fodder? Sooner or later many people will come to that realization. 

I wouldn't go that far. They seem to have to get rather close and unlike with DD torps you get warning that they are coming. Also to get the high damage you need to get and maintain the double ping, which can be prevented by turning the ship in or out to shield the second ping location. Without that double ping they don't do impressive damage. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,481 posts
4,925 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

hahaha no. 

I have a suspicion that part of the reason this have been put in is to keep Subs on the top so they will be spotted while pinging?     But I am with you...I don't like the mechanics of them at all..  Almost a bit too far into fantasy land... even for this game.       

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,942 posts
9,171 battles

I actually found this video quite useful, it explains the submarine attack actions in a clear and concise manner without hyperbole, without an agenda. It makes a nice change.

At 2min28  NoZoup discusses the (completely optional) ping mechanic to increase the dmg of torpedos. I do like and look forward to the interaction between subs and cvs, (3 minute mark) I just hope WG devs make that ineraction as enjoyable as possible for both parties.

+1 for a) useful video b) zero low effort trolling.

• Angry 1

Sign in to follow this