You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

Is the Georgia worth it?

42 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

I have the coal to get her now, but I'm still about 30k off from being able to afford the Smolensk and 35k from the Thunderer. Can't decide what to go for.

Edited by Zaydin
  • Boring 1

Members
2,897 posts
10,699 battles

In a vacuum it's worth it's weight in coal.

But if you wanna daka daka spam, I dont think Id pass the Smol.

Thunderer I havent seen enough of to make any judgement. 

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

In a vacuum it's worth it's weight in coal.

But if you wanna daka daka spam, I dont think Id pass the Smol.

Thunderer I havent seen enough of to make any judgement. 

By all acounts I've read the Georgia is supposed to be a great ship to play.

The Smolensk is the current FoTM but I'm also just opposed on principle to the idea of HE spam ships. I've run into at least one person with the Thunderer and they said they loved it but I have seen very little of it, likely since most people burned their coal on the Smolensk.

• Boring 1

[GWG]
Supertester
22,861 posts
12,797 battles

The Georgia is a good ship but will require a dedicated captain like the Massachusetts which they can share.

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The Georgia is a good ship but will require a dedicated captain like the Massachusetts which they can share.

Wouldn't be the first ship that needs a dedicated commander; I have two for the Mogami. One built for the 155mm guns and one for the 203s.

Certainly have a lot of unused US captains sitting around I could retrain.

• Boring 1

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles

The the Georgia or any premium ship 'worth it'?    It all depends on your goals (how you want to play) and expectations (I will WIN with the ship).   I've no direct experience driving the 3 ships you mention but my impressions from facing them.

Georga..   Big guns, good secondaries make for solid fast mid range brawler, need specific USN secondary capt to get the most out of

Smol...   daka daka flame thrower   but don't make a mistake because you can be quickly erased

Thunder...   457mm ap with near cruiser accuracy out to max range.   typical soft skin of Brit BBs but with out Conq heal (still decent T8 heal through it seems) 

[GWG]
Supertester
22,861 posts
12,797 battles
2 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Wouldn't be the first ship that needs a dedicated commander; I have two for the Mogami. One built for the 155mm guns and one for the 203s.

Certainly have a lot of unused US captains sitting around I could retrain.

I just wanted to make sure you knew about that catch as secondary builds are at best a waste for other US ships.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles

As a BB player i honestly have yet to be impressed in seeing Georgia in action. I don't plan to pick her up any time soon. The speed gimmick does nothing to offset her thin skin that isn't great for brawling which is what secondaries are all about.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,823 posts
3,793 battles

Smol is probably the meta right now. Its a strong ship in the right hands. Not much if a cruiser player myself, but she was very fun to test. 

Thunderer seemed kinda bland to me. No super heal, loses 4 firestarters from Conq, all for some slight aa benifits? I'm planning to pick it up, but I'm not over here dying for it. 

Georgia is just plain fun. Speed boost, good secondaries, fun repair party, and of course her boosted dispersion and high alpha. I would take her over Thunderer just because of her seniority and all the fun gimmicks she brings to the table. With regards to what @BrushWolf said, she doesnt NEED a special captain, but it sure is useful. Personally I just run AFT and call it good:Smile-_tongue:

[GWG]
Supertester
22,861 posts
12,797 battles
4 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Smol is probably the meta right now. Its a strong ship in the right hands. Not much if a cruiser player myself, but she was very fun to test. 

Thunderer seemed kinda bland to me. No super heal, loses 4 firestarters from Conq, all for some slight aa benifits? I'm planning to pick it up, but I'm not over here dying for it. 

Georgia is just plain fun. Speed boost, good secondaries, fun repair party, and of course her boosted dispersion and high alpha. I would take her over Thunderer just because of her seniority and all the fun gimmicks she brings to the table. With regards to what @BrushWolf said, she doesnt NEED a special captain, but it sure is useful. Personally I just run AFT and call it good:Smile-_tongue:

No ship needs a specially trained captain but some ships perform much better with one. Yeah BFT + AFT for a secondary lite build, you can skip the BFT if you really want, which is also good for AA which is useful for other US ships.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I just wanted to make sure you knew about that catch as secondary builds are at best a waste for other US ships.

I am aware. Barring the Mass and the Georgia it's not worth investing in US BB secondaries. I have the Montana.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[MMC]
Members
185 posts
451 battles

My thing is that if a ship doesn't just grab my attention and make me all excited, it's probably a good pass. I have pretty limited resources and playing time, so I'm usually pretty budget conscious and want the best bang for my buck...and I'm talking about fun, not necessarily being the most competitive in the current meta, although if that's your thing I got nothing but respect. Just remember that there will be more coal ships coming, maybe one or two that will strike your fancy, maybe not. Sometimes I feel that coal burning a hole in my pocket, even though I know I don't want any of the boats they're selling, and when that happens I spend some on flags or upgrades - just enough so I can't blow 200K on a ship I won't play. Self control is a pain sometimes.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.

[NWNG]
Members
2,940 posts
4,835 battles
34 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

I have the coal to get her now, but I'm still about 30k off from being able to afford the Smolensk and 35k from the Thunderer. Can't decide what to go for.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! 100% worth it.

Members
2,631 posts
7,566 battles

I got Georgia about a month after it was released, and have definitely enjoyed it. I’m using my Montana captain (standard survivability build) while I build up elite commander xp to train up a secondary spec captain, so I can confirm that she works quite well with a standard USN BB build (plus the secondary mod in slot three that I run on all my USN BBs since nothing else is really valuable there anymore IMO). If you enjoy the playstyle of the USN BBs and want something that can do that but even better, it’s almost a no brainer.

(In theory you can also use a USN CL captain, like an Atlanta/Flint or Worcester build, and have enough overlap to make a workable captain, although if you’re not putting a secondary or secondary hybrid spec captain in, I’d say to use a standard USN BB captain)

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles

If your a not so good BB player I suggest getting them both as the DD players will appreciate your straight lining

[GWG]
Supertester
22,861 posts
12,797 battles
5 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

If your a not so good BB player I suggest getting them both as the DD players will appreciate your straight lining

It is fairly nimble as BB's go so bobbing & weaving is viable if you time your turns right.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
12 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I wouldn't consider myself a top tier player but I'd like to think I'm a decent player.

50% win rating overall and the average is 47%, or so I've read. 50% win rate in my Montana which is above the average for it at 48.93% overall.

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,032 posts
17,184 battles
1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

Georgia and Thunderer are not in danger of being pulled due to OP....

Grab Smolensk while you can....

From a Grimmy, Belfast, Kutizov and Smolensk owner.....

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
3 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Georgia and Thunderer are not in danger of being pulled due to OP....

Grab Smolensk while you can....

From a Grimmy, Belfast, Kutizov and Smolensk owner.....

Funny thing is I own the first three already.

Sub_Octavian has said that WG does not consider the Smolensk to be a premium ship, however, and is therefore fair game to nerfs.

• Boring 1

[USCGC]
Members
430 posts
3,644 battles
21 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I got Georgia about a month after it was released, and have definitely enjoyed it. I’m using my Montana captain (standard survivability build) while I build up elite commander xp to train up a secondary spec captain, so I can confirm that she works quite well with a standard USN BB build (plus the secondary mod in slot three that I run on all my USN BBs since nothing else is really valuable there anymore IMO). If you enjoy the playstyle of the USN BBs and want something that can do that but even better, it’s almost a no brainer.

(In theory you can also use a USN CL captain, like an Atlanta/Flint or Worcester build, and have enough overlap to make a workable captain, although if you’re not putting a secondary or secondary hybrid spec captain in, I’d say to use a standard USN BB captain)

That's exactly what I did when I got Georgia two weeks ago for coal. All of my tech tree USN BB's use a survival build captain, and I used my 19 point captain from Montana in Georgia. Worked pretty well, though not able to fully take advantage of Georgia's strengths.

Three days ago I finished the Halsey campaign, and had enough elite command XP to make him a 19 point captain right away (you get him with 15 points). Halsey is my full secondary spec captain just for Georgia (and Mass to whenever I get her).

Georgia is fun with a standard USN survival build captain, and is even more fun with a full secondary build. She is now my go to ship, I no longer play Montana, Iowa, or Alabama as often now since I have Georgia.

Is she worth the coal? Absolutely, without a doubt. Especially if you like battleships. :BB:

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
3 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

That's exactly what I did when I got Georgia two weeks ago for coal. All of my tech tree USN BB's use a survival build captain, and I used my 19 point captain from Montana in Georgia. Worked pretty well, though not able to fully take advantage of Georgia's strengths.

Three days ago I finished the Halsey campaign, and had enough elite command XP to make him a 19 point captain right away (you get him with 15 points). Halsey is my full secondary spec captain just for Georgia (and Mass to whenever I get her).

Georgia is fun with a standard USN survival build captain, and is even more fun with a full secondary build. She is now my go to ship, I no longer play Montana, Iowa, or Alabama as often now since I have Georgia.

Is she worth the coal? Absolutely, without a doubt. Especially if you like battleships. :BB:

Might pull the trigger on getting the Georgia then. I don't have the Massachusetts, much as I wish I did since she's the only museum ship I've ever been on, but having a viable US brawler could be fun. Something different from the Montana or Missouri. Gonna take a long time to  grind enough experience to redistribute skill points on one of my unused captains though.

[USCGC]
Members
430 posts
3,644 battles

I've never been onboard Massachussetts, but I have toured one of her sisters, the Alabama (Anchors Away tour stop there in a few weeks), very impressive ships. Mass will be the next premium ship I buy.

Having come up the USN tech tree, Georgia is unique. The play style is fun for sure, something I enjoy more so than the tech tree USN BB's. I really dig the secondaries, and the 18" guns are nice too. Putting a full secondary build captain on her is worth the effort.

image.thumb.png.d7211bcfa9b9cf91429df95c4a426b31.png

Check out Little White Mouse's Georgia review as well if you haven't already:

The USN line is about to get another secondary brawler soon too, the T7 California.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
16 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I've never been onboard Massachussetts, but I have toured one of her sisters, the Alabama (Anchors Away tour stop there in a few weeks), very impressive ships. Mass will be the next premium ship I buy.

Having come up the USN tech tree, Georgia is unique. The play style is fun for sure, something I enjoy more so than the tech tree USN BB's. I really dig the secondaries, and the 18" guns are nice too. Putting a full secondary build captain on her is worth the effort.

image.thumb.png.d7211bcfa9b9cf91429df95c4a426b31.png

Check out Little White Mouse's Georgia review as well if you haven't already:

The USN line is about to get another secondary brawler soon too, the T7 California.

Downside of Mouses reviews is that all her images were hosted by Ship Comrade and they went belly up so a lot of her charting and such is gone now.

Pulled the trigger on the Georgia though. Hopefully she'll be a blast; played a lot of US BBs. German is second; only two t10 BBs I have are the Montana and Kurfurst.

Members
178 posts
15,877 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

^^ This is spot on. 

Great ship, but requires a dedicated captain specifically to this ship. 

Is it better than Iowa? No. Is it worse? No. They're pretty well balanced, in some cases you'll wish you were Iowa with those three extra guns, in other cases you'll wish you had the larger guns of Georgia. One of the more balanced premiums in the game for sure. 

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

Just a shame the Georgias guns don't use the same sound as the Yamato/Musashi when fired. Feels so satisfying when you use the IJN 460mm guns.