You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KnightFandragon

1310 1310 1310 1310 1310 1310....

21 comments in this topic

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles

.........1310 1310 1310 1310

Seriously, do the Alabama and the US 16 inch guns roll anything else?  I swear, no joke, the only ship where I reliably see big numbers is against a Bismarck, Tirpitz and maybe a Bayern, but havent gotten to shoot one of those in a minute.  THOSE the thing rolls really well on, 13,000, 15,000, 22,000, 25,000 pens the holy hell out of them.  But anything else, 1310 1310 1310 1310.  Guns are so powerful they either shatter or over pen everything.  They are that powerful, you would think they could burrow themselves right into the citadels and stuff, I mean, since they are over penning the ship so badly, they would overpen the hull plate, but pen the crapout of the citadel armor, but naw, just 1310 1310 1310.  New Mexico, 1310, Mogami, 1310, North Carolina 1310, Alabama, 1310, Moskva, 1310, Chapayev, 1310, Hindenberg, bounce, bounce, ricochet, 1310(Seriously, how does the Alabama hurt a Hindenberg).  I legit put up 6 in a training room and shot at them with literally everything from everywhere, and nothing but 1310 and TDS Shatters.  I even loaded up HE and 1810, 1810, 1810, 1810.....Honestly why I dont like these ships as much as I really would like to, the guns are so powerful, but sure as hell dont feel like it in game.....

Edited by KnightFandragon
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles

1310 is probably the value of a single overpen AP hit.  There's no RNG in the amount of damage shell hits do in WoWS, unlike WoT where the damage for a shell hit does vary.  And frankly, at times, it can be frustrating in WoT to need average damage on a hit to kill a tank only to get a far below average damage roll and not kill that enemy tank, only to have him then kill you.

Arguably, it might be more interesting if there was some variety in the amount of damage each shell did.  But knowing WG, they'd probably make the potential damage spread so wide that it would produce a lot of frustration among the player base.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,623 posts

You are not hitting the citidel.  You are hitting something with less armor and over penning.

[WOLFA]
Members
209 posts
17,735 battles
22 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

.........1310 1310 1310 1310

Seriously, do the Alabama and the US 16 inch guns roll anything else?  I swear, no joke, the only ship where I reliably see big numbers is against a Bismarck, Tirpitz and maybe a Bayern, but havent gotten to shoot one of those in a minute.  THOSE the thing rolls really well on, 13,000, 15,000, 22,000, 25,000 pens the holy hell out of them.  But anything else, 1310 1310 1310 1310.  Guns are so powerful they either shatter or over pen everything.  They are that powerful, you would think they could burrow themselves right into the citadels and stuff, I mean, since they are over penning the ship so badly, they would overpen the hull plate, but pen the crapout of the citadel armor, but naw, just 1310 1310 1310.  New Mexico, 1310, Mogami, 1310, North Carolina 1310, Alabama, 1310, Moskva, 1310, Chapayev, 1310, Hindenberg, bounce, bounce, ricochet, 1310(Seriously, how does the Alabama hurt a Hindenberg).  I legit put up 6 in a training room and shot at them with literally everything from everywhere, and nothing but 1310 and TDS Shatters.  I even loaded up HE and 1810, 1810, 1810, 1810.....Honestly why I dont like these ships as much as I really would like to, the guns are so powerful, but sure as hell dont feel like it in game.....

Lol I hit 3 salvos in the Iowa against a Soyuz (4-3-4 shells per salvo), and only got pens without dmg, with AP heavy shells, at 15km angled a little. The Soyuz was figthing a GK. At last you do 1310 :Smile_teethhappy:

[GWG]
Members
6,483 posts

Those AP rifles are for long-range cruiser sniping, and short range heavy BB citadels.

Need to get the arc correct.  The Chappy is between 9 and 11Km -- bang!  Citadel every time.

Any closer, and you might as well be using an Emden.  Switch to HE to get some fires.  Focus those secondaries. 

And don't sail in a straight line as their torp range is 4KM.

Members
846 posts
3,928 battles

I'm sorry OP,  those are terrible lyrics "1310...1310...1310..." !  I don't think even ABBA could do them justice.  Keep trying though.

Oh wait?  Wrong forum...sorry.

[PVE]
Members
1,441 posts
12,858 battles
15 minutes ago, surratus said:

I'm sorry OP,  those are terrible lyrics "1310...1310...1310..." !  I don't think even ABBA could do them justice.  Keep trying though.

Oh wait?  Wrong forum...sorry.

This is close, starts with a 1.

• Cool 2

[DDMAF]
Members
2,132 posts
13,415 battles

I find German AP produces same result. Overpen every thing I hit in Roon, Biz, Gneisenau, you name it. Constant overpen.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,815 posts
3,777 battles

You need to brush up on your ballistics mechanics knowledge. Overpens deal 1/10th damage, penetrations deal 1/3rd dmg, and citadels deal the full amount of your listed alpha damage. 1130 must be the overpen value for the Alabama. If you are overpenning try aiming lower on the ship, or on a section with a little more armor. 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_Penetration

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles
28 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

You need to brush up on your ballistics mechanics knowledge. Overpens deal 1/10th damage, penetrations deal 1/3rd dmg, and citadels deal the full amount of your listed alpha damage. 1130 must be the overpen value for the Alabama. If you are overpenning try aiming lower on the ship, or on a section with a little more armor. 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_Penetration

I know this lol.  Overpen, its all the gun seems to be doing.  Aiming lower on the ship?  Ya really cant get any lower than the water line.  I took 6 Hindenbergs into a training room, aimed at the water line at all ranges, from 15km to 4km and same result every time.  Only at like 5km, after 30 minutes of firing into all 6, did I manage maybe 3 citadels in all of it.  The rest, even with HE, 10% rolls.  I aimed my shots at an angle, at the water line, at the turrets, at the barbettes, at the citadel, at the rear, just below the super structure, everywhere.  I thought at 15km I might get a little plunging fire and pork a citadel, nope.  I fired several salvos of HE figuring, ok, im over penning so bad, maybe this HE will pen and blow something up.  So I aimed HE below the barbettes and turrets, about where the ammo would be......but naw...

This last game, Mogami, coming at me at an angle, poppin it starting from about 16km at varying degrees of angle, all the way down to 4km when he was broadside, nothin'. Just 1310s all the way.  He died, and then a few minutes later, incoming torps...oops.  Either way, dont hit it like ya mean it Alabama....just tickle it.

Edited by KnightFandragon

Members
846 posts
3,928 battles
22 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

This is close, starts with a 1.

I have SO much to learn about everything!  Thank you, kind sir!

Sometimes the internet...responds!

[RKLES]
5,018 posts
17,121 battles

The magic of hitting a citadel and getting a dev strike makes up for US super heavy AP shells with improved penetration angles....

[TDR]
Members
368 posts
6,212 battles
33 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

I know this lol.  Overpen, its all the gun seems to be doing.  Aiming lower on the ship?  Ya really cant get any lower than the water line.  I took 6 Hindenbergs into a training room, aimed at the water line at all ranges, from 15km to 4km and same result every time.  Only at like 5km, after 30 minutes of firing into all 6, did I manage maybe 3 citadels in all of it.  The rest, even with HE, 10% rolls.  I aimed my shots at an angle, at the water line, at the turrets, at the barbettes, at the citadel, at the rear, just below the super structure, everywhere.  I thought at 15km I might get a little plunging fire and pork a citadel, nope.  I fired several salvos of HE figuring, ok, im over penning so bad, maybe this HE will pen and blow something up.  So I aimed HE below the barbettes and turrets, about where the ammo would be......but naw...

This last game, Mogami, coming at me at an angle, poppin it starting from about 16km at varying degrees of angle, all the way down to 4km when he was broadside, nothin'. Just 1310s all the way.  He died, and then a few minutes later, incoming torps...oops.  Either way, dont hit it like ya mean it Alabama....just tickle it.

Hindenburg might be the absolute worst cruiser in the game to prove the difficulty of citadeling

[PVE]
Members
1,441 posts
12,858 battles
51 minutes ago, surratus said:

I have SO much to learn about everything!  Thank you, kind sir!

Sometimes the internet...responds!

thank you!

It's a great blues rock song with nonsensical lyrics.

Heard it on sat radio years ago, hard to forget that one.

[ARGSY]
6,537 posts
23,511 battles
26 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Hindenburg might be the absolute worst cruiser in the game to prove the difficulty of citadeling

You can, but the closer you get, the more difficult it gets. They have a turtleback. Best range for cit them is about 16km.

It's not impossible, like the Tirpitz I cit at 10km. But it's more hitting the [edited] in the armor.

If you get only overpens, you usually aim to high. The USN 16" are excellent to cit German BB at medium to long range.

But then, you can always ask @LittleWhiteMouse She is a real walking dictionary when it comes to boats. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,971 posts
9,118 battles

@KnightFandragon You're seeing constant over-penetrations.  Without a replay, I can't say so for sure, but I suspect you have a chronic habit of aiming higher than normal and you keep smacking the superstructure / upper hull of enemy ships.

• Cool 1

[-GOD-]
Members
766 posts

The HINDY is like any other KM ship easy to cit at range, dev-struck one at 17.4k , closer in i try to aim just below the waterline.

669 posts
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

I mean, since they are over penning the ship so badly, they would overpen the hull plate, but pen the crapout of the citadel armor, but naw,

when think overpen i picture nice 16" hole all the way through the ship, it needs flooding damage added  :Smile_veryhappy:

[PQUOD]
Members
3,042 posts
11,657 battles

I got the NC, same rifles as the Bama. Generally if a BB goes broadside. Hits to just below the 2nd turret, or broadside to some angle on bow to CA / CL's is yielding some damage.

However when getting over pens, yes it can be frustrating. It seems more likely to happen if I'm in the heat of a brawl and trying to maneuver, aim, and fire all at the same time.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776