You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SgtSpud

MM WORKING AS INTENDED?

16 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,396 posts
17,079 battles

Ok so I've never seen this before....you can't tell me the Matchmaker isn't doing its best......the highlighted ships were both divisioned on either team!

Just had this match!:Smile_amazed:

mm.JPG

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,622 posts

It is working as intended. Players of different tiers can div together, and "drag" the low tier player into a high tier match. This is by design and it has been that way since the beginning of the game as far as I know.

• Cool 2

Members
2,884 posts
10,650 battles

That's crazy youve never seen a fail div in 15k matches.

Maybe the new MM has higher chance to pull those or something.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,771 posts
12,773 battles
2 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

That's crazy youve never seen a fail div in 15k matches.

Maybe the new MM has higher chance to pull those or something.

This, I typically see at least one a day. Back in alpha a fail division could drag the higher tier ship down. There were no tiering limits for a division so a tier 1 could division with a tier 10. A Umikaze with a Yamato was preferred because the Umikaze can spam torpedoes, they wouldn't cause much real damage but the floods would never end, like candy if the MM decided to drag it up.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts
3,522 battles

I have seen fail divs that got a Tier VI into a Tier X match. Usually the team with the Tier VI loses but I have seen the inverse happen before.

[PVE]
Members
18,316 posts
11,313 battles
18 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Ok so I've never seen this before....you can't tell me the Matchmaker isn't doing its best......the highlighted ships were both divisioned on either team!

mm.JPG

17 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It is working as intended. Players of different tiers can div together, and "drag" the low tier player into a high tier match. This is by design and it has been that way since the beginning of the game as far as I know.

This^^^

1 minute ago, Dictonary said:

I have seen fail divs that got a Tier VI into a Tier X match. Usually the team with the Tier VI loses but I have seen the inverse happen before.

Currently, as in over at least a year or so, you can only division with one tier higher than you, so the maximum tier spread is 4 tiers, T7 gets into a T10 match. Before that, it was 2 tiers, which is how long ago you could get a T6 into a T10 match.

11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, I typically see at least one a day. Back in alpha a fail division could drag the higher tier ship down. There were no tiering limits for a division so a tier 1 could division with a tier 10. A Umikaze with a Yamato was preferred because the Umikaze can spam torpedoes, they wouldn't cause much real damage but the floods would never end, like candy if the MM decided to drag it up.

I have heard of the old Umikaze/Yamato division, but that was before my time I believe.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,771 posts
12,773 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I have heard of the old Umikaze/Yamato division, but that was before my time I believe.

They fixed that in beta when they limited tier difference to two tiers. It was later change to the current one tier difference.

[PVE]
Members
18,316 posts
11,313 battles
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They fixed that in beta when they limited tier difference to two tiers. It was later change to the current one tier difference.

Yep, well before my time then. :)

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
49 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

mm.JPG

Absolutely working as intended.  Personally, I wish that the devs would ban fail divisions entirely, but that's a slightly different question.  Notice that both teams had a tier 7/tier 8 fail div, so it's not like wither team was at any real disadvantage.

One of the things I've found interesting is that it's been a long time since I've seem MM produce 2 teams where one team had a fail division where the bottom tier ship was below the lowest tier for the battle (like the one above), but the other team didn't have a fail div.  MM seems to have code in it to require matching fail divs.  And it's perhaps a little surprising how many people queue up with fail divs.

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I think that one of the interesting and amusing things for WoWS is that some very low tier DDs (that can stealth torp) can actually be somewhat productive even in a tier 10 battle, unlike in WoT where about the only thing a tier 2 tank might be able to do is scout.  

Regardless, it's still a good thing that WG mostly fixed fail divisioning.  

[GWG]
Supertester
22,771 posts
12,773 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Absolutely working as intended.  Personally, I wish that the devs would ban fail divisions entirely, but that's a slightly different question.  Notice that both teams had a tier 7/tier 8 fail div, so it's not like wither team was at any real disadvantage.

One of the things I've found interesting is that it's been a long time since I've seem MM produce 2 teams where one team had a fail division where the bottom tier ship was below the lowest tier for the battle (like the one above), but the other team didn't have a fail div.  MM seems to have code in it to require matching fail divs.  And it's perhaps a little surprising how many people queue up with fail divs.

The MM used to be four tiers which is why I think they didn't completely ban them.

[SALVO]
Members
22,901 posts
23,445 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The MM used to be four tiers which is why I think they didn't completely ban them.

I don't remember 4 tiers, unless you meant that tier 7 ships could end up in tier 10 battles.  I remember being in my Colorado in a tier 10 battle and having to just HE spam a Yammy.  Thankfully, he was fully occupied with some other tier 10 BB at the time, so I was able to do a pretty fair amount of damage between the raw HE and fire damage.  But sometimes in those battles, you had to do that kind of thing.  Definitely different times.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,771 posts
12,773 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't remember 4 tiers, unless you meant that tier 7 ships could end up in tier 10 battles.  I remember being in my Colorado in a tier 10 battle and having to just HE spam a Yammy.  Thankfully, he was fully occupied with some other tier 10 BB at the time, so I was able to do a pretty fair amount of damage between the raw HE and fire damage.  But sometimes in those battles, you had to do that kind of thing.  Definitely different times.

In alpha and well into beta the MM was four tiers instead of the familiar three tiers. Going from memory the tier ranges for matches then was 1 - 2, 2 - 3, 3 - 5, 6 - 9, and 7 - 10. It was fun in the good sense to take the St Louis up against Kongo's and beat them silly.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,438 posts
3,332 battles

The matchmaking spread used to be larger too.  The final fight I had in my Kawachi in Open Beta (where we got to keep our progress when the game went fully live, unlike Closed Beta) was against two Cleveland's as the Fuso on my flank was AFK.  I destroyed one, maimed the other and a friendly Cleveland arrived to secure the flank by killing the enemy Cleveland.  I was not in a division for that.

Beta Testers
1,396 posts
17,079 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

Yes but ive never seen the mm equalize by putting another fail div on the other team....unlesss i just never noticed it before in 15k games...i'm old that may be the case:cap_old: