You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
InvisibleKONY

Best DD for TX Clan Brawl

20 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
3 posts
2,519 battles

Let's assume I have no tier x DD and I want one for the next clan brawl. What's the best one to get for that format (tech tree only please)? I was thinking Yueyang for the radar but sounds like Yueyang is currently below the power curve overall...

Members
164 posts
12,426 battles
6 minutes ago, InvisibleKONY said:

Let's assume I have no tier x DD and I want one for the next clan brawl. What's the best one to get for that format (tech tree only please)? I was thinking Yueyang for the radar but sounds like Yueyang is currently below the power curve overall...

I don't have it but my money is on Z-52, I used my z-39 and its hydro helped alot... Z-52 will do the same

[MINVY]
Members
556 posts
5,140 battles

I noticed in the tier 7 that your opportunities/need for radar are somewhat diminished by the short duration, small map and how quickly everyone is in plain view of one another. I was thinking Z-52 myself.. quick reload on torps (lower than typical damage but the reload helps offset) combined with awesome hydro and decent guns.

For that matter, thinking a Kurfurst for the BB might be interesting too though I'm sure there are other great choices.

[TDR]
Members
368 posts
6,212 battles
34 minutes ago, InvisibleKONY said:

I will be 100% using my Daring at some point

Beta Testers
1,556 posts
14,669 battles

I am going to guess the good players will bring either Daring or Kleber - spotting/capping will be the meat and potatoes of a 3 v 3 contest - torps will be a kamikaze affair I imagine.  Daring and Kleber will be the best at erasing enemy DD's, so they will probably be used often.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles

I never got into any Brawls this past weekend.  For those who did, what was your experience about what was important from DDs?  The ability to brawl at short range for caps?  Long range daka-daka?  Torp boating?

At tier 10, I could foresee the Des Moines or Salem being very strong for their RoF and radar, which could make it difficult for torping DDs to get in close, and force them to use long range torping, which is inherently less productive.  Against them, I could see long range gunboating from DDs such as the Khab, Harugumo, Daring, or Kleber being more useful.  Also, the latter 3 would be fairly useful at short range brawling too.  (Actually, the Khab can be, particularly if it's able to close on a cap from behind hard cover.)

In 3v3 situations, I'd think that BBs would need to get closer because a sniping BB wouldn't be in a good position to support any efforts to take caps.  And this would seem to make the GK a more interesting choice.  Kremlin too.

I guess it all comes down to how your team wants to try to play it.  I could see some daka-daka CLs (Minotaur, Worcester, Smolensk, etc.) being rather useful in support of a pushing BB and a DD that's also supporting the BB in close.  But this may also just be nothing but crap being thrown against a wall to see what sticks, and may not work in actual battles.  

• Confused 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
10 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I am going to guess the good players will bring either Daring or Kleber - spotting/capping will be the meat and potatoes of a 3 v 3 contest - torps will be a kamikaze affair I imagine.  Daring and Kleber will be the best at erasing enemy DD's, so they will probably be used often.

I wouldn't dismiss the Harugumo.  Sure, it's a whale for maneuvering, but in a brawl it has a hellacious RoF.  And as good a RoF as French DDs can get while their reload booster is active, it drops off a lot when it's run out.

• Cool 1

[O-PN]
Members
2,094 posts
4,398 battles

A good set of guns is needed -- the cruisers that won would stick with and support their DD then they'd usually take out the DD first, then the cruiser, then the BB that was late to the party.  BBs ate lots of torps.  These are close range encounters, I'd prioritize guns, torp speed, and then consumables.  Most battles went quick.

Caps also mattered so those trying to be cute by avoiding them basically shot themselves in the foot.

Edited by NoSoMo

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,018 posts
17,121 battles

Z52 pros: long range hydro fast reloading torps.

Daring: long lasting hydro. Rapid fire guns.

Yu-Yang: radar american smoke.

Legendary Gearing with Fletcher torps will be my first go....

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,894 posts
8,457 battles

It really depends on your comp, the maps you will see, and the tactics you will use. 

If you are looking for a utility dd like the Z-39 then the best choices would be:

• The Daring is a great choice for a DD with utility because it has smoke that is available more often, a heal, and hydro. 
  • The Z-52 is another choice, however will be out gunned or out spotted by any DD it sees and its torpedoes are pretty mediocre for tier 10 and its hydro is not as good for its tier as the Z-39.

There is another option though, some teams went for more stealthy DDs or for gun boats. If you want to pursue either of those options than there are several strong DDs to consider.

• First the Haru, its got a ton of DPM and HP. If you are planning on using the DD to shoot stuff its something you need to consider. One potential downside is the ship is less agile than a lot of tier 10 cruisers which could be a big disadvantage if using the same maps. 
  • The Khab and Kleber are also potential choices although I doubt many teams will be able to come up with effective tactics to utilize the advantages of either boat effectively. 

Last is general purpose boats:

• The Gearing is always a decent option, it has good detection, somewhat effective guns, and decent torps. 
  • The Groz is also another choice that specializes more in gunnery but it does have a heal. 

My guess is most teams will bring darings, they were heavily used in the last tier 10 Clan Battles because they have a lot of utility and can also hurt stuff decently well. With how small the maps are I doubt bad conceal gunboats will have much use but I would love to see someone prove me wrong. Hydro probably will be somewhat less of a concern because radar will be longer ranged and last longer in tier 10. Just my thoughts though but my clan did place something like third and we place well in Clan Battles every season. 

• Cool 2

[-NOS-]
Members
1,132 posts
18,853 battles

Daring and Grozovoi would be my choice due to heal, they are excellent gunboat to murder other DD.  Kleber is situational, gearing is outdated, and the Z52 is too clumsy.  

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles
1 hour ago, InvisibleKONY said:

IMO Clan brawl (like Clan battles) will go to the the team that has the tightest coordination to make best use of the tools individual ships/drivers bring to the table and make the fewest mistakes while doing that.    

Legendary Gearing with Fletch torps, Daring, and Z52 would be my top picks    all bring good daka, torp and spotting capability to the table..  The Daring in particular will be a big help spotting torps coming through the cap.

Second tier for me would the the Shima, (spotting, wall of skill and good alpha on the guns for clean up),  Groz (heal will keep it in the game and good daka especially with legendary mod)

third tier  YY  (radar and smoke are nice but it onw gives up too much after the nerf to the guns and torps), French and Khab (to me they both need sea room to make the most of the ships, the small brawl maps will constrain them to much)

[PQUOD]
Members
3,042 posts
11,657 battles

I'll bring my long in the tooth Gearing. In a CB meta, being able to use voice and work with clan mates. It should do okay.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
37 minutes ago, BadWolfz said:

IMO Clan brawl (like Clan battles) will go to the the team that has the tightest coordination to make best use of the tools individual ships/drivers bring to the table and make the fewest mistakes while doing that.    

Legendary Gearing with Fletch torps, Daring, and Z52 would be my top picks    all bring good daka, torp and spotting capability to the table..  The Daring in particular will be a big help spotting torps coming through the cap.

Second tier for me would the the Shima, (spotting, wall of skill and good alpha on the guns for clean up),  Groz (heal will keep it in the game and good daka especially with legendary mod)

third tier  YY  (radar and smoke are nice but it onw gives up too much after the nerf to the guns and torps), French and Khab (to me they both need sea room to make the most of the ships, the small brawl maps will constrain them to much)

No mention of the Harugumo?

[SCREW]
Members
656 posts
7,145 battles
30 minutes ago, InvisibleKONY said:

Decent smoke will be important YY might do but I think that if it's your first DD I'd go for the Gearing.

Best smoke,
Good torps,
Decent Concealment (Even better if you grind out the legendary mod)
Workable guns.

Pretty much the universal DD.

[ICBM]
Members
649 posts
14,473 battles

3 v 3 is a stimulating variant of the game, quite a bit more than 6 v 6....

Essentially...

First, to seize the area and squat shall win...

Balanced ships - well-executed strategy...

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:
2 hours ago, BadWolfz said:

No mention of the Harugumo?

I knew I was forgetting something!    The haru I would also put in the second tier   Fearsome daka (with AR shooting a haru just makes it angry) but I think its clumsy handling  and 6.1 KM detection (IIRC) will hamper it in the close confines of the brawl maps, especially against teams that can out spot it and show good focus/coordination.    

[SAA]
Members
377 posts
5,248 battles
1 hour ago, swifttex1 said:

3 v 3 is a stimulating variant of the game, quite a bit more than 6 v 6....

Essentially...

First, to seize the area and squat shall win...

Not necessarily, in the one this past weekend, very few of our games were cap points a determining factor and only 1 went full term. 

I will say the tighter the map the more hydro helped.  On more open maps, torp boats did better.  On Shatter the Kraut boats were hard to beat... and of course we got that map 12 times (including 5 in a row).

If one boat went down early, that is hard to come back from.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[AAA]
Members
165 posts
12,810 battles

It would be nice if WG would switch up the nights for this mode. It's Sat night every time, which is a never go for me. Why not Sat one week, Friday or Sunday the next?