You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Drifter_X

Is T10 worth playing to you?

75 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
157 posts
7,542 battles

I am new to tier X, and while I was excited to play with my brand new GK with the Kitty Purrfurst flag I found that T10 only matches now have at least 3 smolensk cruisers per team plus other fire breathers. I feel the high tier game is more about camping behind islands and forward/reverse movements. While I cant run the RU server without lag, perhaps its time to start rewarding active game play somehow in order to get games to be less inbred and static. I'm not very good at forum discussions but I had to vent some. Thanks.

Edited by Drifter_X

[WOLFC]
Members
2,119 posts
12,066 battles

I never had an interest in anything above Tier 8.  I didn't even go beyond Tier 7 for a long time  The higher tier meta looked too boring.  

I did purchase the Jean Bart and Smolensk just to have something to play a little Ranked in ... but that and Co-Op is the only place I use them.

Beta Testers
1,403 posts
17,143 battles

I feel your pain....we grind to tier 10 thinking when we get there that we have finally made it and we get to play with the pros...... then we see that the level of play hasn't improved.

In fact it seems to be worse in many ways ...longer ranges promote static BB play, Cruisers seem to adopt the island hugging style and DDs are afraid to play to their potential cause CVs and radar everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

T10 only matches now have at least 3 smolensk cruisers per team plus other fire breathers.

While we have had "fire breathers" in the game for a while now, Smolensk and Friesland (both of which I own) are in a league of their own when it comes to setting fires and they are the new boats we love to hate.

It seems that there are many more lopsided games in tier 10 as well....(though i have no data to back it up)

Personally i have adopted the  "if you can't beat them , join them" attitude.

Still my favorite game!

[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
15,242 battles

I won't claim to have the definitive take on Tier 10 game play. I think it comes down to what you like, honestly. To me, the most fun is Tiers 6-7. It's not that I have never had fun games in Tiers 8-10, because I have. But mistakes are so much more costly in high tier matches that players (understandably) play more cautiously. Taking big risks is much more often met with big failure, imo. So many players avoid taking the big risks. Me, I like games where the risk/reward ratio is tilted a bit more toward 50/50, so lower tiers are better for me. I think a lot of us prefer to be able to take chances and be a hero while playing shooty-botes. And at high tiers, that is a lot more difficult to pull off.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
19,993 battles

@Drifter_X I have a few tier 10s and I rarely use them but when I do I enjoy it and I don't care at all how anyone else plays nor what ship they are using. If you are playing tier 10 and don't enjoy and feel the need to be critical of other's play then don't play tier 10.

• Confused 1

[SOCOM]
Members
425 posts
16,776 battles

Tier 9 is a nightmare, T10 is about hide and seek which I hate. t 8 and below can be fun, but with the coming of subs I don't have to worry, I am done with WOW. I will run my level ones while I have my morning coffee, then log off and go to a fun game

[VW]
Members
3,228 posts
16,288 battles

I dont play it because it’s too expensive credit wise. Recent acquisitions smo and stal might change this. The rest of me tier 10 are just for supercontainers.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,572 posts
23,564 battles

Since I have all T10 techtree plus multiple T9/10 premiums: yes.

The gameplay isn't any different by now of lower tiers. BB camp at max range in lower tiers like in higher tiers. Maybe less bow on, but they do. Cruisers get deleted with the same speed (if they don't hide behind some rocks). DD decite the games (OK, less radar in low/mid tiers). And you face less CV then in lower tiers. Since they turned the low tier IJN CV into first class seal clubbers and allow more then two per team, I prefer T10, were you have a chance to fight back (if you see one). 

But I also have premium time and more then 500mio credits, so I don't have to care about money.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
892 posts

T10 is a love hate thing with me.

I have only the One T10 (Gearing )  Mainly because I stalled at T8 in all other lines due to the gameplay change that is pretty drastic.  Like most I thought when I make it to t10 I will be playing with the PROS!!!  Well it was the opposite.

No interest in being a T10 BB  I have T8's and a T9 but I thrown in with the fire breathers and it's no longer a game of positioning and tactics anymore.. It's stay far away from ANY island in the open and try not to get BLAPPED by the T10s.

T10 DDs are a different story though.  Yes , you have to deal with wall to wall Radar but you can at least move around and be worth something to your team.

I have the most exciting games in T10 DD.  Not interested in the hide and spam HE meta.  I like to challenge and win or get blapped type of play.

Find a type you like and jump in.  You will be fine.  not many PROS playing at 10 anymore.. Actually you will find better play at 6-7

Col Out

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles

To answer the question posed...  Yes playing T10 is worth it to me even with the campy-ness you describe.   I enjoy trying to break that meta in each game played there.   Sometimes it frustrating but I enjoy the challenge of it.   I don't play it on this account (personal challenge at being totally FTP from day one) simply due to the pushing economy without Prem account and camo but, when I do play it I find that its worth it.

[WOLFG]
Members
503 posts

I only have three tier X ships.  Mino, Smolesnk and Henry IV.  I enjoy playing those ships.  Not so much the fact that they are tier X.  The whining and crying that goes on at X is really a turn off.

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,568 posts
14,702 battles

If you want to compete regularly in Clan battles, KotS, or other high level game modes then you have to become familiar with tier 10  game play and comfortable with your performance in tier 10 ships.  Otherwise, the most fun can be had in tier 4-8 for casual players in my opinion .

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles
19 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

I feel your pain....we grind to tier 10 thinking when we get there that we have finally made it and we get to play with the pros...... then we see that the level of play hasn't improved.

Like any organizations/group in the real world  (out side of pro sports)...   T10 is populated mostly by people of normal/unremarkable ability that have failed to the top of the chain  :Smile_teethhappy:   (I resemble this remark BTW)

[3COWS]
Members
712 posts
48 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

I am new to tier X, and while I was excited to play with my brand new GK with the Kitty Purrfurst flag I found that T10 only matches now have at least 3 smolensk cruisers per team plus other fire breathers. I feel the high tier game is more about camping behind islands and forward/reverse movements. While I cant run the RU server without lag, perhaps its time to start rewarding active game play somehow in order to get games to be less inbred and static. I'm not very good at forum discussions but I had to vent some. Thanks.

Kurfurst is one of those ships that needs all the mods in just the right places, a 19point commander and this is just to be competitive at this tier let alone MM give you a competent team. 

[PVE]
Members
877 posts
6,537 battles

I view T8-10 as kind of a different game mode. Sometimes I am in the mood for it and other times not.

I have been grinding through a couple neglected tech trees at T9 lately and found that I miss my T7 and T6 boats.

[RKLES]
Members
10,751 posts
12,377 battles
28 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I dont play it because it’s too expensive credit wise. Recent acquisitions smo and stal might change this. The rest of me tier 10 are just for supercontainers.

It can still be worth it during times of free Premium time, plus the current +200% XP bonuses since you can add special major economic  Camo and economic signal flags to haul in Massive amounts of Free XP and Captain XP on your first wins in Randoms.

It does help matters though that I got the HSF perma Camo for Yamato, Gearing I can run without premium damage control which helps on cost plus with spotting damage ect I can break even or profit, and Salem is premium ship. So really the main credit burnets onnaverage would be my Zao and my Republique if the battles went badly. And since my cost reduction signal flags are reserved for tiers VIII-X on ships at risk for losing credits, plus the fact the “Just a Flesh Wound”awards are easily obtained, I manage to keep credit losses at minimum for the times I play tier X. But I mostly play mid tier though which helps on credits.

Members
548 posts
8,205 battles

Tier 10 has the most balanced, competitive, and challenging gameplay which has it's appeal. However it also tends to be very static and risk-averse, with matches most often decided by who makes the first mistake rather than who makes the first bold move.

Mid-tiers are a little less challenging but probably provide more FUN with a more open, dynamic flow to the matches.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,043 posts
21,595 battles
43 minutes ago, Chief_SeaDog said:

Tier 9 is a nightmare, T10 is about hide and seek which I hate. t 8 and below can be fun, but with the coming of subs I don't have to worry, I am done with WOW. I will run my level ones while I have my morning coffee, then log off and go to a fun game

No?

Even with all the general experience I have; playing Tier 10 is about as fun as being a new player in Tanks, when the seal clubbers we’re out in force on Mittengard, (before it was removed.)

When I play a big ship, it seems like nobody wants to spot. When I play a destroyer and spot things, it seems like nobody wants to shoot at them.

Mowing my yard is more fun. At least doing that is a kind of Zen relaxation; as opposed to the ‘waiting for someone else to make a mistake first’ drudgery of Tier 10 games.

• Cool 2

[CSALT]
Members
1,380 posts
1 hour ago, Drifter_X said:

Nope.  You can keep Tier X.  It is the sea of ship gimmicks with a bridge full of Dunning-Kruger effect.  I know I am an idiot and I play what I enjoy, T VII/T VIII.