You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CommodorePerryIPA

Most Efficient Turning?

13 comments in this topic

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles

Here is a question I had in the back of my mind for sometime.

Say the game starts and you are playing a BB (assume Colorado for example).  You want to get to  a point 15 KM away exactly 45 degrees starboard.  What is the most efficient way to do that?

A.  Full power, hard rudder immediately until just over halfway turned

B.  Full power, hard rudder immediately until almost all the way turned, then reverse rudder until pointed the way you want.

C.  Full power, wait until have a little speed (5-10 knots) going, then hard rudder

D.  Full power, wait until have a lot speed going (10-18 knots), then hard rudder

E-H.  The above options, except light on the rudder

I.  Something else

And yes, I know the game will be over before a Colorado can go 15 KM.  ;)

I guess i could use a stopwatch on my iPhone and do some tests in training room, but it is easier to just ask the experts.

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles
1 minute ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

Say the game starts and you are playing a BB (assume Colorado for example).  You want to get to  a point 15 KM away exactly 45 degrees starboard.  What is the most efficient way to do that?

B.  Full power, hard rudder immediately until almost all the way turned, then reverse rudder until pointed the way you want.

C.  Full power, wait until have a little speed (5-10 knots) going, then hard rudder 

D.  Full power, wait until have a lot speed going (10-18 knots), then hard rudder

I.  Something else

I guess i could use a stopwatch on my iPhone and do some tests in training room, but it is easier to just ask the experts.

By the way, I normally do:

G.  Full power, wait until have a little speed (5-10 knots) going, then light rudder 

I have no idea if it most efficient.

[-TNG-]
Members
60 posts
1,578 battles

In my experience, if you want to turn well without turning too wide or burning too much speed, set your engine to 3/4ths power, then half-rudder in the desired direction. Go back to neutral rudder as you get close to the desired heading, then increase to full as your rudder gets to zero. But, I’m more familiar with cruisers than with BBs, so I may be wildly off the mark.

Edited by Shadow0206
Grammar

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,039 posts
9,138 battles
29 minutes ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

I.  Something else

Get up to full speed, put the rudder hard over, complete the turn.  Don't touch the rudder afterwards and motor your way over the 15km in about four and a half minutes.

• Cool 4

[WOLF5]
Members
2,926 posts
3,224 battles

I try and run up to about 20 knts and then start turning. Of course, that doesn't work so well for the CO because 20 knts is about where is tops out. I think though turning is most efficient at 3/4s speed, I'd run it up to there and start the turn.

[WG-CC]
11,039 posts
9,138 battles
14 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I try and run up to about 20 knts and then start turning. Of course, that doesn't work so well for the CO because 20 knts is about where is tops out. I think though turning is most efficient at 3/4s speed, I'd run it up to there and start the turn.

Your turning circle radius is smallest between 15kts and 20kts -- whatever that engine setting ends up being for your ship.  For destroyers, that's usually 1/2 speed.  For cruisers it's about 3/4s speed.  For slow battleships that's 4/4 speed.  Your rate of rotation is fastest the faster your ship goes.  So if you want to come about quickly and the amount of room you need isn't an issue, accelerate.  Activate Engine Boost if you have it.

fzSqlGa.jpg
Duke of York comes about more quickly the faster she goes.  However, the amount of room she needs minimizes at her 3/4 engine setting as this falls into that "sweet spot" of 15kts to 20kts.  However, the reduction in the turn radius isn't enough to make her come about faster than she would if she applied more speed.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[187]
Members
1,625 posts
9,534 battles

Not sure if it is relevant to you but in a BB especially I use the map to chart a course.  This way you know where you are going exactly and then can focus on your guns being properly trained to targets. Resist the urge to maneuver unless you have to to avoid torps etc. because when you do it nullifies your mapping commands. Since the patches a few back the autopilot really works really well. This frees you up to look at the mini map as well as selecting targets while the boat sails itself. It will auto route between islands and maneuver very very well now changing speeds as it is "Computed" as necessary to navigate successfully. Try it...biggest problem I see with BBs on both sides is not getting into a good flanking positions and staying stationary. The quicker at the start of a match you get into a good position it can make an enemy totally make a 180 degree turn and head the other way. 

[_-_]
Members
2,650 posts
7,585 battles
6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Your turning circle radius is smallest between 15kts and 20kts -- whatever that engine setting ends up being for your ship.  For destroyers, that's usually 1/2 speed.  For cruisers it's about 3/4s speed.  For slow battleships that's 4/4 speed.  Your rate of rotation is fastest the faster your ship goes.  So if you want to come about quickly and the amount of room you need isn't an issue, accelerate.  Activate Engine Boost if you have it.

fzSqlGa.jpg
Duke of York comes about more quickly the faster she goes.  However, the amount of room she needs minimizes at her 3/4 engine setting as this falls into that "sweet spot" of 15kts to 20kts.

It may just an erroneous impression, but it seems to me that acceleration/deceleration plays a role in tight turning, as with a car. Especially if I'm about to Notser into an island or team mate.

I back off going into the turn, then go balls to the wall about half-way through. Seems to help the stern fish-tail a bit.

Like I said, just my impression.

[WG-CC]
11,039 posts
9,138 battles
5 minutes ago, C_D said:

Not sure if it is relevant to you but in a BB especially I use the map to chart a course.  This way you know where you are going exactly and then can focus on your guns being properly trained to targets. Resist the urge to maneuver unless you have to to avoid torps etc. because when you do it nullifies your mapping commands. Since the patches a few back the autopilot really works really well. This frees you up to look at the mini map as well as selecting targets while the boat sails itself. It will auto route between islands and maneuver very very well now changing speeds as it is "Computed" as necessary to navigate successfully. Try it...biggest problem I see with BBs on both sides is not getting into a good flanking positions and staying stationary. The quicker at the start of a match you get into a good position it can make an enemy totally make a 180 degree turn and head the other way. 

This isn't a bad practice of navigating, but it's a bad practice once you begin engaging the enemy.  Varying course and speed can do a lot to throw off the aim of enemy shells and torpedoes.

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
11,039 posts
9,138 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

It may just an erroneous impression, but it seems to me that acceleration/deceleration plays a role in tight turning, as with a car. Especially if I'm about to Notser into an island or team mate.

I back off going into the turn, then go balls to the wall about half-way through. Seems to help the stern fish-tail a bit.

Turning in World of Warships has everything to do with rudder position and speed.  Speed ultimately dictates the minimum possible size of a turning circle your ship will travel.  It's largest at very low speed, tightest at 15 to 20 knots and it balloons bigger the faster you go (though not as fast as when you move slowly).  Your rudder position then acts as a multiplier to that turning circle radius.  With the rudder half over, you double the size of the turning circle.  With it 3/4 of the way over, it's 1.25x as big.  When it's all of the way over, it's a 1:1 ratio. 

Thus, if you want the tightest turning radius, get to that 15 to 20 knot speed ASAP.  If you want to change your heading more quickly, make sure your rudder's hard over and your ship is moving FAST.

• Cool 1

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles
22 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Get up to full speed, put the rudder hard over, complete the turn.  Don't touch the rudder afterwards and motor your way over the 15km in about four and a half minutes.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have already put this information to use.

[187]
Members
1,625 posts
9,534 battles
22 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Agree