You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

3000 Dubs to NOT look like a spaceship. Fair?

49 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
898 posts

So I got the Baltimore before the Cleve ( thanks for all the input ) Now I want to get a perma camo.  I have this space fantasy one ( about 12 )  that I won during an event and unless I use it I have to pay 3000 Dubs to NOT look like a star wars cartoon with the weird sounds.. 

Cannot sell or swap for  Normal Permacamo?   I will never use fantasy Camos.  I came here for WW1 WW2 battleships.

I understand people love the fantasy stuff but they have the OPTION to use them.  A straight trade should be made possible for those who prefer not to use them.

Simple thing to ask.  Easy to provide. Happy people all around.

Unless happy/fair means nothing and it's all about the Benjamins that is.

That is all

• Cool 4
  • Boring 9

[ARGSY]
Members
15,181 posts
9,959 battles
5 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

unless I use it I have to pay 3000 Dubs to NOT look like a star wars cartoon with the weird sounds.. 

I also have a limited-edition Balt camo that I won last year, but that's the art-deco one same as the special for the Cleveland.

The difference between us is that I'm not embarrassed to put the space permacamos on my ships if it saves me up to 4000 doubloons (T9 permacamo cost) a shot. 

Maybe the Benjamins aren't the problem - maybe your pride and inflexibility are the problem. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 3

[TDR]
Members
381 posts
6,299 battles
6 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

So I got the Baltimore before the Cleve ( thanks for all the input ) Now I want to get a perma camo.  I have this space fantasy one ( about 12 )  that I won during an event and unless I use it I have to pay 3000 Dubs to NOT look like a star wars cartoon with the weird sounds.. 

Cannot sell or swap for  Normal Permacamo?   I will never use fantasy Camos.  I came here for WW1 WW2 battleships.

I understand people love the fantasy stuff but they have the OPTION to use them.  A straight trade should be made possible for those who prefer not to use them.

That is all

Didn’t WG just provide an option in setting to hide the camo so it isn’t visible but still provides the xp and other bonuses the camo provides? I thought I read this somewhere and sounds like it would solve this.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,181 posts
9,959 battles
8 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Is there anything about the game that you actually like?

Some people are like the joke about the fanatical Christian trapped on a melting iceberg in mid-ocean. Along comes a destroyer, and the captain says "Hop aboard! We'll send a boat across for you."

"No, I trust in the Lord Jesus for my salvation."

Along comes a cruiser, and the captain says "Hop aboard! We'll send a boat across for you."

"No, I trust..." etc.

A few hours later, with the tip of the iceberg almost gone, a helicopter appears and drops a line. But he refuses it with the same answer.

And so he drowns. 

As soon as he gets to the Pearly Gates, he says to Jesus, "I trusted in you but you did not save me! WHY?"

Jesus replies, "I sent you two warships and a helicopter, and you refused them all."

Dude gets free permacamo and would rather spend 3000 doubloons because of aesthetics. There is no pleasing some people.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 2

[SOFOP]
Members
1,593 posts
10,615 battles
1 minute ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Didn’t WG just provide an option in setting to hide the camo so it isn’t visible but still provides the xp and other bonuses the camo provides? I thought I read this somewhere and sounds like it would solve this.

I think that change was basically that if YOU have special camos hidden and an ENEMY shows up with one on, you can still see that they have camo on and they won't appear to have none.  So lets say I have special camo hidden but a space Balti shows up - he will appear to have normal camo.  Why does this matter?  Who knows.

If you hide your own special camos, all special camos are removed and you can not put them back on.  This is my belief in how it works but I can't find the specific notes you mentioned (I know a read it though)

[WOLF5]
Members
2,926 posts
3,227 battles
13 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

That is all

Uh, demount and pick another one maybe? You didn't pay for it, it was given to you for free, what's the issue? Don't like it don't use it. Yeah you have to buy another perma camo, but that's where you were before you got one for free. You can either use it or not use it, not sure what the issue is, it costs you nothing to use and nothing to demount so quit whining.

Side note, if I got a free perma camo for a high tier ship I liked I don't care what it looks like I'll use it. If it's really offensive I'll find a mod pack to hide it, but free camo is free camo.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,580 posts
23,577 battles

Why you use the camo if you don't like it? Free stuff i free stuff.

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles
8 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Didn’t WG just provide an option in setting to hide the camo

IIRC there is a mod in the ModStation that "hides' fantasy camos from view (both on your ship and others) and just displays the type 1 or 2 cammo in one's client. 

[FORM]
Members
941 posts
8,337 battles
16 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

So I got the Baltimore before the Cleve ( thanks for all the input ) Now I want to get a perma camo.  I have this space fantasy one ( about 12 )  that I won during an event and unless I use it I have to pay 3000 Dubs to NOT look like a star wars cartoon with the weird sounds.

FWIW, I feel the same way about the Des Moines "Freedom" camo. The stats on the camo are great, the big Eagle on the ship... about as absurd as the ARP neon camos are IMO.

But they never give a discount sale price on the DM perma camo, so... I just use regular camos most of the time. It sure would be nice to trade the Freedumb camo in for any other permanent option.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
15,181 posts
9,959 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Side note, if I got a free perma camo for a high tier ship I liked I don't care what it looks like I'll use it. If it's really offensive I'll find a mod pack to hide it, but free camo is free camo.

This raises the question of just how offensive a camo would have to be before you refused to use it.

We are assuming here that WG rules would apply and that they would never, for example, commission a camo in which a naked and... um... upstanding Julius Caesar replaced the beercan on top of the Roma. On the other hand, if Kobayashi did one for a special release of the GC in which he wore a toga, I could be tempted.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SALVO]
Members
22,944 posts
23,545 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I also have a limited-edition Balt camo that I won last year, but that's the art-deco one same as the special for the Cleveland.

The difference between us is that I'm not embarrassed to put the space permacamos on my ships if it saves me up to 4000 doubloons (T9 permacamo cost) a shot. 

Maybe the Benjamins aren't the problem - maybe your pride and inflexibility are the problem. 

Well said, Cthulhu.

• Boring 3

[CMFRT]
Members
10,452 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This raises the question of just how offensive a camo would have to be before you refused to use it.

We are assuming here that WG rules would apply and that they would never, for example, commission a camo in which a naked and... um... upstanding Julius Caesar replaced the beercan on top of the Roma. On the other hand, if Kobayashi did one for a special release of the GC in which he wore a toga, I could be tempted.

I didn't buy the "parade" camos for the French or Russian ships this summer -- I am just not a fan of the parade camos.  Same with the rusty crud camos from the Not-Waterworld event.  

But then, I'm honest with myself about what I'm giving up, and that it's my decision to forgo those bonuses for aesthetic reasons. 

[SALVO]
Members
22,944 posts
23,545 battles
1 minute ago, TheArc said:

FWIW, I feel the same way about the Des Moines "Freedom" camo. The stats on the camo are great, the big Eagle on the ship... about as absurd as the ARP neon camos are IMO.

But they never give a discount sale price on the DM perma camo, so... I just use regular camos most of the time. It sure would be nice to trade the Freedumb camo in for any other permanent option.

Of course they do, though in a backwards manner.  Perma camos cost doubloons.  And they have sales on doubloons or offer coupons that can be used to buy doubloons.  They were giving 30% off coupons recently, which could be used on doubloons, which in effect would make for a 30% off sale on the cost of the perma camo you'd buy with those doubloons.

In short, anything that can be bought with doubloons can be considered on sale if you buy the doubloons when they're on sale.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,926 posts
3,227 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, I had a thought before I posted, but most things WG would allow I think I could live with for enough XP. That said, I still don't understand who thought the beercan on the Roma would ever look like anything except, well, a beercan and why they thought that was a good idea. But for that kind of credits I'd use it.

If it was a super weeb camo I might have to reconsider, I have some self respect. But again, there are a lot of good mods that can hide the more, ah, interesting camoes WG has cooked up. Haven't needed one yet, but I like to keep my options open.

[SALVO]
Members
22,944 posts
23,545 battles
26 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

That is all

It's a business!  Of course, it's about the Benjamins!  I doubt that you'll find a real game company that isn't about making money!!!

• Boring 1

[GOB]
Members
898 posts
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

WOW what a presumptive and childish response THAT was. 

I always thought you were one of the more mature people here but you are really just another kneejerk pouty  apologist aren't you. I triggered your WOWS is Perfect reflex didn't I?

Pull your head out of your 4th point of contact and RE READ my post you petulant child!

CLEARLY STATED... EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO USE WHAT THEY WANT >>> I PREFER NOT TO USE CARTOONS

If that is too much for you to comprehend please feel free to avoid all further posts by me.

Col Out

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 8

[FORM]
Members
941 posts
8,337 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

In short, anything that can be bought with doubloons can be considered on sale if you buy the doubloons when they're on sale.

That's not quite the same thing, but fair point. Either way, without a 50% off, I'm not interested in spending $20 USD (or $14 at 30% off dubs) on a camo just because I think the one on the ship looks like crap. 

[SALVO]
Members
22,944 posts
23,545 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, I had a thought before I posted, but most things WG would allow I think I could live with for enough XP. That said, I still don't understand who thought the beercan on the Roma would ever look like anything except, well, a beercan and why they thought that was a good idea. But for that kind of credits I'd use it.

If it was a super weeb camo I might have to reconsider, I have some self respect. But again, there are a lot of good mods that can hide the more, ah, interesting camoes WG has cooked up. Haven't needed one yet, but I like to keep my options open.

I agree, AJTP, about the Roma beercan.  It looks stupid.  But honestly, on top of that, I don't like the idea of the Kobayashi camos on anything other than Japanese ships.  Oh, the color scheme of the Roma's kobayashi camo is great, but the Japanese script in that camo looks really dumb on an Italian ship.   

IMO, if they're going to commission outside artists to do perma-camos for premium ships, I'd kind of prefer that they used artists who were native to the country of that ship's navy.  Or at least have certain strict requirements that prevented stupid things like Japanese script on anything other than Japanese ships.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,944 posts
23,545 battles
3 minutes ago, TheArc said:

That's not quite the same thing, but fair point. Either way, without a 50% off, I'm not interested in spending $20 USD (or $14 at 30% off dubs) on a camo just because I think the one on the ship looks like crap. 

I don't blame you.   Very recently, there were some very nice national camos for some tier 6 premium ships that were about $20 US.  And I thought that they seemed very overpriced.  It took me a while to realize that these camos weren't just regular, run of the mill tier 6 premium camos with standard benefits but a very nice paint job.  They actually had some very good statistical bonuses.  And I was very tempted to pick up the camo for the Shinonome.  But I decided against it because I have so many ships and premium ships that it didn't really seem worth the cost, particularly since I don't play the Shinonome enough (IMO) to justify the purchase.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,926 posts
3,227 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I agree, AJTP, about the Roma beercan.  It looks stupid.  But honestly, on top of that, I don't like the idea of the Kobayashi camos on anything other than Japanese ships.  Oh, the color scheme of the Roma's kobayashi camo is great, but the Japanese script in that camo looks really dumb on an Italian ship.   

IMO, if they're going to commission outside artists to do perma-camos for premium ships, I'd kind of prefer that they used artists who were native to the country of that ship's navy.  Or at least have certain strict requirements that prevented stupid things like Japanese script on anything other than Japanese ships.

The whole Kobayashi thing was a bit strange IMO. WG was like hey, we got this really cool artist to design some camos for us. He's Japanese too.

Players: Cool, so we going to get some cool camoes for the IJN.

WG: Naw, just the Yamato and the Roma.

Roma? That's not even Japanese?

Yeah, but it's the newest premium we've got, and you know, both Axis so all good.

OK, so two different camoes?

Nope, same camo. But it's really cool, it's got Japanese writing all over and a beer can on top.

Beer Can? wth? Kidding right?

Nope, beer can. Really good artist, and we got him to do a camo that involved scribbling all over the ship and sticking a beer can on top.

Sooooo...you guys spent a good chunk of money paying someone to design something my little brother could do with a crayon and a picture of a ship?

NO..it's art!

So since it's all the same camo, can we get it (not sure why we'd want it), will it be available for lots of ships?

Nope, only those two.

Yeah, might explain why we haven't seen another artist collaboration since.

[SALVO]
Members
22,944 posts
23,545 battles
10 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

WOW what a presumptive and childish response THAT was. 

I always thought you were one of the more mature people here but you are really just another kneejerk pouty  apologist aren't you. I triggered your WOWS is Perfect reflex didn't I?

Pull your head out of your 4th point of contact and RE READ my post you petulant child!

CLEARLY STATED... EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO USE WHAT THEY WANT >>> I PREFER NOT TO USE CARTOONS

If that is too much for you to comprehend please feel free to avoid all further posts by me.

Col Out

I don't think that it was childish at all.

You have the right to decide whether to use odd camos or not.  But Cthulhu was correct (indirectly) that it's a question of what's more important to you, looks or benefits.  If looks matter more to you, that's your call.  But you then have to live with the consequences of that decision, which include not getting the benefits that come with the camo you're deciding not to use.

If anyone's being childish here, it's you because Cthulhu described the situation quite well and you're unhappy with not getting your way (i.e. having to choose between looks or benefits).

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2