You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ElectroVeeDub

Is WoWs due for a Commander Skills Re-work?

17 comments in this topic

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

With the introduction of CV's  in 0.8.0.0 , and the future upcoming submarine release... does this indicate we might all see a re-work concerning the Commanders skills? Some of the skills we presently have are... well... not applicable or even useful. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[FML]
Members
3,186 posts
13,596 battles

I think they’ll need to introduce (or at least rework) some skills to suit submarines. 

Eg, survivability Expert - 20 per cent increase to air reserves, so you can stay underwater longer, etc...

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,942 posts
9,171 battles

I'd like rdf to work on both cv squadrons and submarines ; so that they can find one another more quickly/

more importantly, it is quite illogical to hoist a flag on a submerged submarine (surfaced, a cross and bones after a successful objective completion or/and kill would make sense), so we will need an alternative. I am sure devs already have ideas/plans, but I am curious to know what they are;

• Confused 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,261 posts
10,040 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

more importantly, it is quite illogical to hoist a flag on a submerged submarine

You can do it, but they're dripping wet and hanging limply when you surface. I think that's something we can handwave away.

2 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Some of the skills we presently have are... well... not applicable or even useful. 

I can see some of the aircraft skills being redefined to double up for subs - e.g. improved engines for a couple of extra knots while at periscope depth. That could make cross-decking captains rather amusing for anyone who had premiums in one or both of subs or carriers.

Given the across-the-board 10% for concealment expert, I can sort of see this one eventually being baked in and disappearing in the long run, to be replaced by something more submarine-exclusive, e.g. improved oxygen reserves or faster O2 recharge.

1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I would like it if they went back to PT and RDF not being in the game.

NO. You can go directly to the Hell of eternally having to play original stock Izumo alone against 20 Harugumos. :Smile_trollface:

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

Well... when I was watching a CC's stream with subs... he showed his build. And it made me realize that there isn't alot to choose from for subs.

And then the skills for CV's are kinda... weak to say the least.

Massive AA? Hmmm... people argue it's near useless...

Members
3,170 posts
6,349 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

I'd like rdf to work on both cv squadrons and submarines ; so that they can find one another more quickly/

more importantly, it is quite illogical to hoist a flag on a submerged submarine (surfaced, a cross and bones after a successful objective completion or/and kill would make sense), so we will need an alternative. I am sure devs already have ideas/plans, but I am curious to know what they are;

I would think that decals or symbols would be painted on the side of the conning tower to indicate the same as signals/flags.  Maybe on the hull as well. 

Members
866 posts
3,942 battles
2 hours ago, dionkraft said:

I would think that decals or symbols would be painted on the side of the conning tower to indicate the same as signals/flags.  Maybe on the hull as well. 

Not painted, then the Exterior "MOUNT/DEMOUNT" in port would say "PAINT/SCRAPE".  You could make them like big refrigerator magnets, but I think stickers or decals is the way to go.  That way when depth-charges do them under the surface their little flags will come gently floating to the surface amidst the bubbles. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,966 posts
16,350 battles

The skills will be changed or have behaviors added to apply to submarines (probably the latter, though we're due for the former). There's no way WG would create multiple tech tree lines that are immune to the need to level, transfer, and spec/respec commanders. Money sinks gotta sink.

[VW]
Members
3,240 posts
16,355 battles

There is no variety in captain builds. If you choose to have fun you nerf yourself by not taking required skills such as concealment, fire prevention, superintendent, etc. about the only way to balance captain skills is to get rid of them completely (i’m not advocating this.)

Members
766 posts

How about homing shells for underwater targets?

A double radius depth charge skill?

Anti torpedo shock wave emitter for BB's Skill?

{All these skills are  extreme counter measures A JOKE ! }

How about leaving the decisions to the minds of the bass ackwards Developers.

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles
4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Stopped messing with things just to mess with them.

If WG did that what would we hang out righteous outrage on?   What would we do with all the pitchforks and torches?!?   The forums would be a wasteland...  there would be no place for our decedents to rage!!!   Think of the future!  Think of the CHILDREN!!! 

(yes I'm being trollish in an attempt at humor :Smile_trollface:   There is no seriousness intent here.   If it does not tickle your funny bone, I apologize for wasting a few bytes of bandwidth)

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,019 posts
8,071 battles
24 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

There is no variety in captain builds. If you choose to have fun you nerf yourself by not taking required skills such as concealment, fire prevention, superintendent, etc.

I disagree with you here. The captain skills along with mods, and flag usage provide viable changes to maximize strategies which can change the way you would want to sail a singular ship. I can tell you with certainty, I deviate from the popular builds on the FDG, Hipper and Udaloi, to name a few. 

[VW]
Members
3,240 posts
16,355 battles
46 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

I disagree with you here. The captain skills along with mods, and flag usage provide viable changes to maximize strategies which can change the way you would want to sail a singular ship. I can tell you with certainty, I deviate from the popular builds on the FDG, Hipper and Udaloi, to name a few. 

i do too, with georgia, missouri, and others, but i clearly notice the lack of FP while roasting marshmellons on the side of the bridge.

Members
663 posts
7,797 battles

All the way back in October 2018, here is what I mentioned (tongue-in-cheek) regarding submarine commander skills:

Here are the first captain skills I intend to take on my sub commander:

Expert Valve Turner (1-point) 20% quicker response in closing valves to combat flooding when depth charged.

Scope Cleaner (2-points) 1.5km additional spotting range when viewing through periscope.

Deceptive Refuse (3-points) Enemy 10% more likely to believe the detritus you eject means that you have been destroyed.

Deafening Silencer (4-points) Reduces enemy Hydroacoustic Search acquisition by 50% when rigged for Silent Running.

After I have ground the commander up a bit I will also add:

Crush Resistance (2-points) Able to withstand 25% deeper depth than rating.

Torpedo Dodger (3-points) +10% gyroscopic distortion to enemy torpedoes shot at your submarine.

And then either:

Undersea Sixth Sense (4-points) Detect submerged enemy submarines within 2km.

or

Acoustic Torpedo (4-points) Torpedo shot within 500m of enemy moving at greater than 1/4 speed will turn to track target.