You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoSoMo

Sea Rendering -- lower is better?

7 comments in this topic

[O-PN]
Members
2,108 posts
4,424 battles

"low" quality setting on sea rendering with high reflections....
image.thumb.png.436fa068b9b8db435f0fb2b602e70864.png

VS maxed out settings...
image.thumb.png.3ae7a2ca07c6cccbdb3bd31bce92cf9e.png

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,696 posts

The top picture looks much less realistic.  For water to reflect like a mirror it has to be flat calm, like a small lake or pond. Water in the ocean is rarely flat calm and it never is with a moving ship in it.

• Cool 1

[O-PN]
Members
2,108 posts
4,424 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The top picture looks much less realistic.  For water to reflect like a mirror it has to be flat calm, like a small lake or pond. Water in the ocean is rarely flat calm and it never is with a moving ship in it.

I think the "high" settings are a bit too much.  If you've been the only soul on a lake with no wind, the water is glass smooth, even as you're coming by at a high rate of speed -- behind you is a different story.

[A-D-F]
5,696 posts
9 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

I think the "high" settings are a bit too much.  If you've been the only soul on a lake with no wind, the water is glass smooth, even as you're coming by at a high rate of speed -- behind you is a different story.

Sure.  The ocean rarely has no wind though.  In fact it is an open plain, there is nothing to disrupt the wind for thousands of miles.  That combined with the pull of the moon means that the water is almost always moving and winds are common (see sailing the oceans).

There are "dead" areas of oceans that we discovered a long time ago but I doubt we are just so happening to have naval wars in those spots.

There are all manner of huge warships turning huge props, shooting each other, blowing each other up and airplanes dropping explosives all over the place in our maps.  It's quite literally a war zone. The water being flat calm in that area is very unrealistic.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,226 posts
11,364 battles
16 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Yeah, we ain’t fighting in Lake Tahoe.

[A-D-F]
5,696 posts
9 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yeah, we ain’t fighting in Lake Tahoe.

Aye, in fact if you watch old war footage of actual warships on the ocean, the waves in the game should be MUCH bigger.   Especially on maps where we fight in "storms", waves should be breaking over the top of the bow of DDs, water should be draining off the decks by the thousands of gallons with each wave and our ships should be rising and falling many feet.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,226 posts
11,364 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Aye, in fact if you watch old war footage of actual warships on the ocean, the waves in the game should be MUCH bigger.

Yes, they should, but then that would make apparent the lack of vertical dynamics (heave, pitch, and roll of the ships) in a heavy sea state.

Then, if proper vertical dynamics were introduced, there would be the attendant difficulty in aiming and timing shots, which would not sit well with the player base.