Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AzureTerra

Weird Thing near the Bow of certain Destroyers

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
536 posts
3,343 battles

Wondering what that tube like protrusion is under the bow is. I had not noticed it before and now checking my other ships the Gallant, Cossack, Gadjah Mada and Anshan all have it.

shot-19.09.24_18.29.17-0039.jpg

Members
95 posts
253 battles
12 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Wondering what that tube like protrusion is under the bow is. I had not noticed it before and now checking my other ships the Gallant, Cossack, Gadjah Mada and Anshan all have it.

The bow /baʊ/ is the forward part of the hull of a ship or boat, the point that is usually most forward when the vessel is underway. Both of the adjectives fore and forward mean towards the bow. The other end of the boat is the stern.

I think u mean the mid-ship to stern & I have no idea

• Boring 1

Modder
1,225 posts
24 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

It's the dome for ASDIC or sonar.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
22,152 posts
16,021 battles

It's the SONAR / ASDIC dome.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
536 posts
3,343 battles
1 hour ago, zFireWyvern said:

It's the dome for ASDIC or sonar.

Ah. Thankyou. Had wondered if it was something like that but wasn't sure.

[GWG]
Members
6,505 posts

It's for the ASDIC/Sonar transducer dome.  It is sometimes just the transmit portion.

It's not to be confused with Hydro-Acoustic listening that only works on the Lo Yang, British, and German DDs in our game.  However, the hydro microphones, in addition to passive listening, are used to determine the echo direction/range of the target.  Sound travels a certain speed under water, and various receiving microphones around the ship give a rough bearing.  There was actually a mechanical computer triggering solenoids with return sound from various mic's to make the computations.

Nowadays, all this is done with a computer that can match 'signature' sounds to identify the detected ships.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this