You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

Catapult fighters are worthless

28 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

Their patrol radius is too small and their duration is short enough that a CV can just circle outside your AA range until the fighters duration ends and returns to your ship, at which point the carrier can attack as they please. WG needs to either increase the radius fighters patrol or lengthen the duration they last; either of them would be an improvement at this point.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[SHOJO]
Beta Testers
249 posts
1,752 battles
4 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Their patrol radius is too small and their duration is short enough that a CV can just circle outside your AA range until the fighters duration ends and returns to your ship, at which point the carrier can attack as they please. WG needs to either increase the radius fighters patrol or lengthen the duration they last; either of them would be an improvement at this point.

Congrats! The changes are included in the next patch! 

You still take 10k damage from the torps after the fighter goes down. 

[SHOJO]
Beta Testers
5 posts
1,306 battles
1 minute ago, HoIo said:

Don't forget 10k from Tiny Tim rockets. Rocket planes don't fear catapult planes   : ) 

• Boring 2

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
1 minute ago, HoIo said:

Not particularly threatening if it's Midway torpedoes. Landed all six on a stationary Kurfurst before and didn't even break 10k damage.

[SHOJO]
Beta Testers
5 posts
1,306 battles
28 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Not particularly threatening if it's Midway torpedoes. Landed all six on a stationary Kurfurst before and didn't even break 10k damage.

The Midway's torps are worse than the Lexington's on paper but you get double the torps. Stationary or not the Kurfurst is the top German BB with 25% torp protection. 

[LWA]
Members
793 posts
11,971 battles
4 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.  I have been playing a lot of CVs lately and those pesky fighters do interfere with aircraft attacks.  The bomb and torpedo aiming devices CV players use are too big and don't pin point under fighter attack.  Your small group of fighters might not shoot a lot of planes down, but they will keep the "dispersion" of the ordnance very large, and help keep you from being hit.

• Cool 1

Members
1,493 posts
10,771 battles
24 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.  I have been playing a lot of CVs lately and those pesky fighters do interfere with aircraft attacks.  The bomb and torpedo aiming devices CV players use are too big and don't pin point under fighter attack.  Your small group of fighters might not shoot a lot of planes down, but they will keep the "dispersion" of the ordnance very large, and help keep you from being hit.

I have to agree....seemingly the fighter throws off TB aim pretty well.

I would like to see the catapult plane help to spot better, because in matches w/out a CV I always want it to help me find any nearby DDs when I'm unscreened....I could be wrong, but I don't think it helps with that at all.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
19,990 battles
5 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Their patrol radius is too small and their duration is short enough that a CV can just circle outside your AA range

Then don't use them. Use a spotter plane instead.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

There are a number of instances where it’s one or the other... not both available. 

Edited by _ENO_

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,423 posts
4,872 battles
6 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Unless you were the last player in a match why would a CV want to circle outside of fighter range until they landed and do absolutely nothing?   Wouldn't that mean your CAP actually helped you and your team for ....1:30 -2:30 (?) seconds by stopping a CV from attacking you or anyone on your team?   Most CVs will move on to new target or waste their planes to get off an attack anyway... Fighters always kill enemy planes once they get them targeted..100% of the time they kill a plane for every fighter they have up or at least as many as there are attack planes.    Seems to be working as intended to me?   

• Cool 1

[AK-47]
Members
719 posts
4,225 battles

Well... If you have CV squadrons circling around, they are loosing time. BBs and CLs are not mini CVs...

• Boring 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,618 posts
8,418 battles

It isn't a forcefield. It is supposed to be a short-term impediment, which it is. That being said, it is a bot with as much intelligence as any bot in the game. If the CV player understands how they work he or she can work around them.  Most of the time the CV will go away, attack someone else, and come back later. In that case it served its purpose. The CV can wait it out, which costs him time on a ship that already requires a lot of time to build DPS. For me it depends on how much I need to attack that particular ship. If I have to attack it I may do a dry drop or 2 to reduce my squadron size so that when I make the attack, the fighters lock on, but then I expend all the plans in the attack leaving nothing left for them to go after. 

Fighters will generally kill one plane per fighter. If the floatplane fighter squadron has 4 planes, and the ship is being attacked by a CV with large squadrons like Enterprise or Kaga, he may just choose to pay the ferryman's price, let the fighters kill 4 planes and attack with the rest. Like I said earlier, it isn't a forcefield. Floatplanes will never protect a ship by themselves. It is a bit of a boost to your local defense. That's it. Skilled players can deal with them easily. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
24,791 posts
6,122 battles

....and their duration is short enough that a CV can just circle outside your AA range until the fighters duration ends...

Considering how quickly a CV can cycle sorties, that means 2 less opportunities for the CV to attack you. 

CV is better off just going in and losing x planes from the first wave, and then following up during cooldown, or attacking another target.

If a CV is waiting a minute for your fighters to return, he's either an idiot, has no other targets, or is low on planes.

[WOLFG]
Members
24,791 posts
6,122 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

What does a spotter plane do against air attack?

[CMFRT]
Members
10,333 posts
7 hours ago, Zaydin said:

1)  Their action radius is a bit small, especially at higher tiers, and they're not aggressive enough. 

2)  If they cause the attacking CV to wait for 60 seconds, you've just caused the enemy CV to waste 60 seconds.

3)  Use them during the refresh of your Priority Sector (which is finally useful), and time launching the fighters until it's hard for the attacking planes to just veer off.   And  if you make the attacking CV wait to attack, then your Priority Sector will have reset as well. 

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

Catapult fighters?

Kaga laughs at your puny attempt to protect yourself.

Kaga just loses 4 planes then torps you with the other eight.

ProTip: Next time turn your AA off and leave Kaga's capture points alone or you might tick off Kaga.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SHOJO]
Beta Testers
5 posts
1,306 battles
5 hours ago, commodore_torakula said:

I have to agree....seemingly the fighter throws off TB aim pretty well.

I would like to see the catapult plane help to spot better, because in matches w/out a CV I always want it to help me find any nearby DDs when I'm unscreened....I could be wrong, but I don't think it helps with that at all.

The only thing that they don't really throw off is rockets but unless the CV is running Tiny Tims, it shouldn't hurt. I agree, fighters should be able to help spot stuff in the area because their concealment is so high at higher tiers that even if I'm in my planes I can't see them until they are right below me. But concealment is a whole other messy matter that his kind of a perma-hot topic

[NH]
Members
934 posts

Just delete CVs so the OP will be happy. Ship launched fighters are already enough to deal with at high tiers because every ship has 3-4 and they eat the majority of a squadron not counting all the AA flying around.

• Boring 3

[WOLF3]
Members
157 posts
7,541 battles
5 hours ago, Mikebello said:

Old time single fighter was better.

More realistic, last longer, it does less damage but was a lot better.

Imho

I miss the old double catapult fighter skill. You could get reasonable screening when they were available.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,259 posts
6,088 battles

my graf zep planes just outrun the crap catapult fighter.

catapult fighters are relics of an ancient era of wows.

Edited by Cruxdei

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Just delete CVs so the OP will be happy. Ship launched fighters are already enough to deal with at high tiers because every ship has 3-4 and they eat the majority of a squadron not counting all the AA flying around.

Yeah, genius? I play carriers. I'm not an anti-CV player. I'd just like a more reliable method of attempting to protect myself in my surface ships versus aircraft than what we have now.

Members
27 posts
1,745 battles
On 9/24/2019 at 1:21 AM, Zaydin said:

My experience both as a player who defends BBs with the catapult fighter and one who can fairly easily avoid them when playing as a carrier, they do seem to need a slight buff.  Perhaps making a Special Upgrade available in slot 1, similar to Spotting Aircraft Modification 1?

[TRU]
Members
190 posts
11,824 battles
On 9/24/2019 at 2:29 AM, Zaydin said:

Ok good I thought I was the only one to have this happen. Tier 10 carriers are rough on the economy and seem to do well in only very specific situations.  

I hit a Kremlin with every torpedo and he shrugged it off as my planes were getting shot down.  Could not get a second pass due to his AA.  

• Funny 1

Members
27 posts
1,745 battles
3 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Ok good I thought I was the only one to have this happen. Tier 10 carriers are rough on the economy and seem to do well in only very specific situations.  

I hit a Kremlin with every torpedo and he shrugged it off as my planes were getting shot down.  Could not get a second pass due to his AA.  

It's odd.  The only Dev Strike I've ever gotten in the Midway was when all 6 torpedoes hit a fairly healthy Montana.  This was before the recent buff to the torpedo damage and flooding.  I was surprised (and pleased) to sink her.  Not sure if they all had to hit within a short time window for that to happen, or if something else unusual occurred.  That is the only time I can remember hitting with all 6, though.