You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Cleveland or Baltimore ?

16 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
903 posts

Have both researched , just need to let go of the credits.  Love both my T7s but not excited about T8  getting up tiered.  which is the bigger improvement of it's line?

Thanx for all input!

Col Out

• Boring 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,566 battles

DM is the better ship at the end of the line.  Cleveland is better than Baltimore, though, assuming you have both CE and IFHE on the former.  

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
3,875 posts
22,064 battles
1 hour ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Cleveland is great for pew pew, but Baltimore AP shells are so satisfying! All-in-all, I'd say go Cleveland for more guns, more consumables, and more America!

Image result for america gif will ferrell

Baltimore is American too...& it has "More" in its name.

Members
2,642 posts
7,566 battles

Personally I’ve enjoyed Baltimore more recently than I have Cleveland (even though I enjoy both the light and heavy cruiser playstyles), plus the CA line gets the super heavy AP that broadside ships fear and eventually leads to DM, as well as the 27mm bow (finally) that allows you to bow tank 15 inch AP. Cleveland’s big improvement over Helena is the faster reload and access to radar (although you lose a turret). Both ships have their uses and both are good ships, but in terms of which line is better, definitely the CA line.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

Both solid boats. US CAs starting with the Baltimore can bow tank 15 inch or smaller AP rounds though.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,593 posts
10,811 battles

Depends really what you'd prefer. If camping behind an island with IFHE is your jam, go with Cleveland. If you want a cruiser that sometimes forgets it's a cruiser, not a battleship, go for Baltimore. Baltimore doesn't need IFHE to have max effectiveness as well, freeing up 4 points elsewhere.

Me personally, I prefer Baltimore. However I must add a disclaimer, I am the mad man that will use it like it's a pocket battle ship, and especially against 15 inch gun ships and some others, will in fact charge battleships in it. But slamming the Super Heavy AP in to the sides and even getting citadels while both disabling and out running main battery guns is very satisfying to me. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,568 posts
4,550 battles

Baltimore, well played, is a beast at tier.  Cleveland is pretty darn good too.  Between the two, I'd take Balto.  But if you're looking ahead, and can get Salem, go for Cleaver.

Members
2,201 posts
5,007 battles

Both have the island camping / terrain dependent play style due to the high shell arcs, so you can't really play either as an open water kiting / brawling ship unless you've got allies near you to take the heat and / or you have a numerical advantage. Cleveland, with Demolition Expert, and IFHE, has good rate of fire and can pump out lots of damage. Baltimore has a good rate of fire for a CA and it's got those super heavy AP shells that pack a punch. Overall I prefer the CL playstyle because I've done well in ships like Atlanta, Helena / Boise, but both can be good if played well so I'd suggest you could give both a try. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,204 posts
9,959 battles

The American Cruisers collection has a very gaudy permacamo for Cleveland; rather hard on some people's eyes, but it does help with the repair costs on an ongoing basis, while WG gave us an opportunity to win a space-themed permacamo during the Space Battles event earlier this year. You can buy one crate to get one item or unlock one through the first Halsey campaign mission and complete the collection (gradually, eventually) through normal daily crates. This does require playing Tier 8 ships, though.

If you have either of these permacamos, get that ship first.

I finished the Cleveland just before she moved up from T6 to T8 in the US cruiser split last year, and then finished her again about a month ago. I never understood what the fuss was all about, either back then or now. I much preferred the Baltimore. US super-heavy AP shells wreck stuff, but your positioning has to be right. OTOH, Cleveland is the better firestarter and DD killer because of her rate of fire, and if you want to be a complete troll you can mount a spotter plane instead of the radar and spam campers from long range.

[NUWES]
Members
2,623 posts
8,440 battles
9 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Have both researched , just need to let go of the credits.  Love both my T7s but not excited about T8  getting up tiered.  which is the bigger improvement of it's line?

Thanx for all input!

Col Out

Baltimore. Cleveland is not bad by any means but Baltimore is more versatile. It has a better radar. It has the USN superheavy AP, the improved autobounce angles and the 27mm bow armor that allows it to ignore a good number of the same-tier BBs if angled properly which lets it operate in open water if it needs to. It doesn't fire as fast as Cleveland but it hits a lot harder and is much more durable in every way. Plus as others have said, Baltimore is on the highway to Des Moines. :)

Cleveland tends to be an island camper and HE spammer. That isn't a bad thing but that is basically what it does and it has to do it as long as there are BBs or heavier cruisers around. If that is your style Cleveland is better. It's theoretical DPS is somewhat higher but actual tends to be situational and map-dependent due to the need for island cover if there are battleships of any size around. Cleveland is also a better DD hunter (not that Balti is bad) because it can run hydro at the same time and fires faster although the shells are really floaty at even moderate ranges. A final consideration is that Cleveland and all the USN CLs are VERY captain skill-heavy. They NEED IFHE and to a lesser extent the improved fire chance skill for maximum damage potential, and that is in addition to all the skills that the CAs like Baltimore need.

Both have very strong base AA  but Baltimore's AA will tend to be better in practice simply because she can afford to take AA skills which Cleveland can't afford to due to the costs of the other needed skills like IFHE. 

For the reasons above I recommend Baltimore, but you won't go wrong with Cleveland if you prefer that style. 

[BOTO]
Members
843 posts
12,284 battles

You really can't go wrong either way, they're both great cruisers at that tier.  I find it easier to deal damage in the Cleveland because you have 12 guns with a very high rate of fire but you will have to use 4 captain points on IFHE to maximize your damage output.  She's also better at dealing with DDs with the higher ROF, radar, and hydro.

Baltimore has the bigger guns, you're looking for alpha strike damage with AP since you not only have the improved auto-bounce angles with her but you step up to the Super Heavy AP rounds as well.  

Personally I prefer the Cleveland, I do quite a bit better in her than the Baltimore, but I really like both of them.

[GOB]
Members
903 posts

Thank you all for your input... I went with the Baltimore first...I will get the cleve when I rebuild my creds.  MAN I like this ship!!!

I'm being a bit stingy and only put my spare 6 pnt in it. I want to keep my 16pnt in the Helena for OPS ( for now )

I LOVE the play style, it fits me perfectly.  I am playing it in aggressive mode and shes great at it.  When I run out of things to shoot at it's great to sling rounds downrange at others who don't know I'm there yet.

This thing EATS planes : )

Thanx again for all your positive input it's much appreciated.

Col Out

Edited by Col_Nasty