You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TexasHammer_

Indianapolis, Atlanta or New Orleans for Clan Brawl?

15 comments in this topic

[NAM-5]
Members
35 posts
2,499 battles

I'm relatively new to the game and have never played cruisers before. My clan has asked me to get a cruiser and was curious which you think is the best. It seems the Atlanta is better for AA which you wont face in Clan Brawls. The Indianapolis seems to have better cannons and radar. I have yet to play the New Orleans, but have it in my port. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

[INTEL]
Members
11,367 posts
31,838 battles

For different reasons, all of those will be hard to do well in for you. Inexperienced cruiser players will have trouble with Atlanta, which takes some skill in positioning and at least a 14 point captain. N Orleans brings no special skills to the table. In your case i would take Indy. With its good radar and decent armor, you might live long enough to make a contribution.

Have you thought about Boise? It has 15 guns, solid performer, the heal lets it live, it has sonar, and decent armor.

Edited by Taichunger

[PQUOD]
Members
3,083 posts
11,709 battles

Don't have the Atlanta, but have played against them. They are HE spammers, short range torps, radar, crumples under a citadel.

Indianapolis, good hard hitting 8" AP. Radar and hydro capable, may be the most fragile CA in the game. (even more so than the Pensacola)

New Orleans definitely the tank'iest of the three. Same hard hitting 8" AP of the Indianapolis. No radar, decent HE.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,824 posts
3,793 battles

Not really my business, but I do see several red flags in this... It goes without saying that having a clan dictate you buying a tier 7 premium you may not be familiar with is a sketchy situation. Play what you want when you want to. Sure it's nice to be versatile, but it's your wallet and your enjoyment. All I hope for you is that YOU want a tier 7 CB meta ship, not the clan. Also the next, and only planned, clan brawl is tier 10, not tier 7. Buying a ship specifically for clan brawl would be a waste (as of right now). 

I didnt play last CBrawls, but I have a fair bit of CB expirence, and from what I gathered from clanmates, my predictions were pretty spot on. I personally would take the Atlanta. Radar is a very nice tool to have at tier 7 3v3, and the rof comes in more handy than the alpha of Indianapolis (BBs can deal with alpha). Second pick is Indy because radar, and lastly NO. 

Again though, this is assuming same tier and format. Well it can be assumed clan brawls will return, there is no telling if it will be tier 7, or in the 3v3 format we saw a few nights ago.

• Cool 2

[O-PN]
Members
2,107 posts
4,424 battles
28 minutes ago, _TexasHammer_ said:

I'm relatively new to the game and have never played cruisers before. My clan has asked me to get a cruiser and was curious which you think is the best. It seems the Atlanta is better for AA which you wont face in Clan Brawls. The Indianapolis seems to have better cannons and radar. I have yet to play the New Orleans, but have it in my port. 

Unless something has been announced I'm unaware of, T7 has been spent already in both clan brawl and ranked sprint for the next few months at least.  Next clan brawl and clan battles are both T10 while next sprint is T8.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,179 posts
6,996 battles

I'd say Indianapolis is good, but the best thing would be to simply play a cruiser line to T7. The AP is very strong as is the radar, so you can stand off a bit if you need to.

[NAM-5]
Members
35 posts
2,499 battles
5 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

Unless something has been announced I'm unaware of, T7 has been spent already in both clan brawl and ranked sprint for the next few months at least.  Next clan brawl and clan battles are both T10 while next sprint is T8.

I was just told that Clan 7 Clan Brawls is pretty much over and to save my doubloons. Next Clan Brawls is rank 10 in early October, so I have some work to do. Thanks guys for the quick replies. 

Members
2,634 posts
7,566 battles

As others have said, I wouldn’t buy a ship for a competitive mode we may not see again only because your clan wants you to, especially as a new player (especially without any significant experience in cruisers) where you won’t necessarily have the skill or experience to make a more situational ship work. It’s your money and your enjoyment, so I’d only say to purchase it if you want to buy it, not because your clan wants you to.

That being said....

Assuming we get another t7 clan battle (either a brawl or a full season), Atlanta and Indy would be better than NO purely because of the added spotting they can provide with radar. Beyond that, it’s really a question of personal preference and what you want to do better, as well as what your team brings.

Atlanta is better at killing destroyers with the much faster rate of fire, and does pretty well at being the death-from-a-thousand-cuts ship that constantly chips away at the enemy cruiser and battleship with a constant rain of shells. You also have usable torpedoes for when the enemy rushes you, but your armor is extremely weak (your citadel is very vulnerable, you don’t have a lot of health to tank damage in, and your bow armor is thin enough that pretty much every cruiser and battleship you face can punch right through your bow into your citadel). It’s a good ship in brawl and a very good choice for farming t7 ops, but is definitely not forgiving for newer players - I wouldn’t recommend playing it unless you’re very comfortable with the USN light cruisers, preferably at least up to the t7 light cruiser (Helena).

Indy is probably always going to be a strong pick in t7 competitive since you have the same radar that the t8-10 USN CAs get (10km range) with very hard hitting guns that have improved penetration angles. Your reload is slower than New Orleans, but your range is much longer (19km). The longer distance and duration radar is more helpful in spotting the enemy destroyer or cruiser hiding behind an island, but you won’t be able to deal with it by yourself since your rate of fire is too low to kill it. Where you really excel is killing other cruisers, and ripping chunks of health off the enemy battleship. But you’re still a USN cruiser so your citadel is more vulnerable and your bow armor isn’t enough to tank battleships (27mm can tank 380mm battleship guns, but any tier with 406mm armed BBs will almost only play those since they can overmatch your bow and again punch right into your citadel). You are tankier than Atlanta, but you aren’t as tanky as the New Orleans. Indy’s a strong ship, but I would definitely recommend not purchasing it until you have experience playing at least New Orleans (as the tech tree USN CA of the same tier) if not higher up the tree as well. Since it’s a similar playstyle, if you don’t like the USN CA playstyle, you most likely won’t like Indy.

New Orleans is the tankiest of the three armor wise since the Indy armor is more akin to Pensacola than New Orleans, and has very similar gun performance to Indy (similar ballistics, same improved angles and similar damage). You also have a better rate of fire compared to Indy but a very similar playstyle minus the radar that the tech tree ships don’t get until t8.

If we get another t7 competitive season with similar brawl setups (or even a full season), both premiums would be stronger picks because of the radar and either the better RoF to deal with destroyers and cruisers or the harder hitting shells to deal with cruisers and alpha strike on battleships, but there won’t be any more competitive modes at t7 for at least the next few months most likely (the next brawl is t10, the next ranked season is t8, and regular competitive will likely go back to higher tiers after that), so even if you are considering getting one of them for a potential future competitive or random battles use, I’d wait a while and take the time to play tech tree US cruisers and decide which playstyle you like more and use that to influence which you buy.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,034 posts
17,200 battles

Atlanta.

Radar.

Hydro.

Rapid fire guns to delete DD.

AP that can do serious damage to broadside ships.

Outrageous fire chance.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,566 battles
1 hour ago, _TexasHammer_ said:

I was just told that Clan 7 Clan Brawls is pretty much over and to save my doubloons. Next Clan Brawls is rank 10 in early October, so I have some work to do. Thanks guys for the quick replies. 

It was only one day.  There's another one next month.  

To answer your question, probably Atlanta, but Flint and Belfast are the ideal cruisers with their smoke and torps/radar. 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,131 posts
7,006 battles
3 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

It was only one day.  There's another one next month.  

To answer your question, probably Atlanta, but Flint and Belfast are the ideal cruisers with their smoke and torps/radar

Your suggestion of Flint and Belfast comes off a little oddly. The way you phrased it might bring people to believe Flint has radar or Belfast has torps.

Not saying it's not a good suggestion, just that it could be worded better. Wouldn't want to confuse a newbie, right?

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,124 posts
10,587 battles
5 hours ago, _TexasHammer_ said:

Fiji is currently the best t7 cruiser to have at the moment.

USN cruisers require a certain skill, and radar ships require a knowledge of not only other ships detection range, but your own; on top of your 25s radar range and duration.

It's almost night and day between Atlanta's and Indianapolis's radar. 

T7 Radars:

Belfast: 8.49km, @25 seconds

Atlanta: 8.49km, @25 seconds.

Indianapolis: 10km radar @25 seconds.

It sounds small but 1.51km is a huge gap in this regards, especially when there's a minimum 5s delay before your team can even start locking onto the radar'd ship.

Atlanta's not only the hardest ship to play in the game, her shell velocity is atrocious against any ship that manages to turn sturn and run. 

New Orleans has the 2nd longest base range of USN cruisers in the game and is extremely agile.

I cant speak for Indianapolis but from what I've heard, she's not a ship to get into close ranger; not even radar range.

Hope this helps.

[BOTES]
Supertester
52 posts
5,290 battles

Belfast would be the ideal pick due to radar and hydro and being able to smoke itself on top of that since it does not have heal like fiji does. However, belfast does not have torps unlike atlanta and fiji so it cannot stop a battleship pushing it's smoke unlike other ships.

But you pick your cruiser to complement of what dd and bb you are running. 

[SAA]
Members
406 posts
5,363 battles

I don't understand this thread since  the T7 Brawl was last weekend and the next one is T10 in a few weeks.

Also, the suggestions for Flint or Belfast are silly since Flint is a Steel ship (he said he's sorta new) and Belfast is practically NLA.

That said, if I were you last Friday, I would get Atlanta since that ship will continue to serve you well into the future.  It is easily the best ops farming ship there is.  Mine has 5.5 million XP and counting.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,437 posts
4,891 battles
5 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I don't understand this thread since  the T7 Brawl was last weekend and the next one is T10 in a few weeks.

Also, the suggestions for Flint or Belfast are silly since Flint is a Steel ship (he said he's sorta new) and Belfast is practically NLA.

That said, if I were you last Friday, I would get Atlanta since that ship will continue to serve you well into the future.  It is easily the best ops farming ship there is.  Mine has 5.5 million XP and counting.

Pretty much agree with this..  As a long term investment you'll get more use out of Atlanta.  She'll make more credits day in and day out than Indy..   Indy is a decent ship but with her slow reload time and also fragile nature...its a difficult ship to get close to a fight in.    Personally I think Fiji, with the absence of Belfast would be best at tier for most purposes except lack of radar.      I don't think I would buy a ship strictly for Clan brawls?  They are relatively infrequent and tier is always changing?     But that's a personal matter between you and your wallet.   Atlanta is a fun ship  and I like Indy also.   Just two really different play styles.