Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FrodoFraggin

Killer Whale objective question

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

738
[EQRN]
Members
1,608 posts
13,443 battles

Do not let enemy enter the haven.  OK, sounds straightforward, but what are the boundaries?  I imagine it’s within the islands, but some of the ships in the north are spawning virtually within the haven itself.  But that’s not the strangest part to me, sometimes that objective is satisfied before the first wave is even detected!  Is this objective bugged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,280
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,127 posts
19,915 battles

Its not bugged. On the west it is their entering through the 2 cuts. In the North they seem to only need to get to row 2 or 3 and that CL is usually not detected until it is too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[BEWBS]
Members
173 posts
5 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Is this objective bugged?

Yes, it absolutely is, but in a way that benefits the humans. Occasionally it trips as completed early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,178
[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts

You need to kill the Kolberg in the North before it crosses the D line. If people are too deep into the harbor you may not see him until you have lost a star. So, if you are in a BB, don't go past the long island in the middle of the harbor, and don't go in the South entrance where you are just torp bait for the G-101.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,862
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,546 posts
23,511 battles

It is the same like before.

The difference is: players don't play for objectives lately, they just want to farm damage.

Most teams didn't even get the two BB killed, because everyone is in a hurry to leave the map.

With the Royal Ark, I usually send torp bombers to the north before the last ships is killed and attack the Kolberg since he sits still at the spawn. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,872
[RLGN]
Members
12,019 posts
21,526 battles
32 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

You need to kill the Kolberg in the North before it crosses the D line. If people are too deep into the harbor you may not see him until you have lost a star. So, if you are in a BB, don't go past the long island in the middle of the harbor, and don't go in the South entrance where you are just torp bait for the G-101.

Kolberg in north; sometimes spot it as a carrier, always ping it no matter what I’m in.

If you go north in a battleship, and sometimes even a cruiser; commit fully. KILL the two forts and the Kolberg, and at least harass the Koenig until help arrives, let the others worry about the south.

G-101; if you have a carrier and it has two brain cells to rub together and spots the G-101, get in there and KILL THE BLOODY THING.

The only reason anyone is Torp bait is they don’t kill the arffing thing when the opportunity presents itself...

...but then, it seems like players are utterly clueless about how to shoot at destroyers lately, and I’m perhaps asking for the the impossible anyway... (common sense, and something besides brainless farming.)

6 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I wish they showed a proper boundary as well.

I like to joke that all a bot crewman has to do is stick their digital big toe across the boundary to steal away that star.

It literally used to be that bad. A bot would barely touch the (coughunmarkedcough) boundary, then run away.

It does seem to ‘satisfy’ in a bizarrely arbitrary way now, but at least it also seems like the bots have to commit deeper into the haven now to steal away the relevant star.

Just now, Erebthoron said:

It is the same like before.

The difference is: players don't play for objectives lately, they just want to farm damage.

Most teams didn't even get the two BB killed, because everyone is in a hurry to leave the map.

With the Royal Ark, I usually send torp bombers to the north before the last ships is killed and attack the Kolberg since he sits still at the spawn. 

Arc does make things easier with such slow aircraft.

As for me; SW battleship, G-101, SE battleships, NW battleships, then anything else as the opportunity arises.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30
[F4E]
Members
139 posts
2,699 battles
24 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

It is the same like before.

The difference is: players don't play for objectives lately, they just want to farm damage.

Most teams didn't even get the two BB killed, because everyone is in a hurry to leave the map.

With the Royal Ark, I usually send torp bombers to the north before the last ships is killed and attack the Kolberg since he sits still at the spawn. 

I agree that folks seems to just want to farm damage...painting with a broad brush — cruisers trying to farm damage rather than killing DDs...which leaves BBs to do that job, which is sub-optimal to say the least...New Mexico and Bayern are not ideal DD-hunters

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,862
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,546 posts
23,511 battles
3 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

I agree that folks seems to just want to farm damage...painting with a broad brush — cruisers trying to farm damage rather than killing DDs...which leaves BBs to do that job, which is sub-optimal to say the least...New Mexico and Bayern are not ideal DD-hunters

1) cruiser usually went direct to the transports. They donÄt care about the two BB, but scream hell when they take a full salvo=it's the BB's/CV/DD fault, why they don't sink the two BB

2) players are too keen to take no damage, because they think everyone need to make it out. Just 50% of the survivors will do.

3) crusiers turn to late to the west to kill the DD's, no BB usually goes north to kill the Kolberg and Kaiser. 

4) people ignore any advice...

Last match, we had 3 minutes to go and the second BB was down to 5k. Got my torp planes in position, but 5 stars denied because the north group sailes into the exit.

Only second five star this weekend needed to talk a cruiser into suiciding against a BB. One in cap, two out, 1 1/2 minute to go. The two cruisers never would have made it to the exit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,729
[TBW]
Members
8,601 posts
15,456 battles
44 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

It is the same like before.

The difference is: players don't play for objectives lately, they just want to farm damage.

Most teams didn't even get the two BB killed, because everyone is in a hurry to leave the map.

With the Royal Ark, I usually send torp bombers to the north before the last ships is killed and attack the Kolberg since he sits still at the spawn. 

They shoot at bases and transports that aren't shooting at them and then duck out early leaving lots of stars and credits and xp behind. The thing Killer Whale has going for it is that it isn't Newport Station. Newport Station with the same group of players is nigh impossible, at least you can 5 star Killer Whale sometimes with out a designated team.

Some times the mini map looks like I just flipped over a rock and scared a colony of ants.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,872
[RLGN]
Members
12,019 posts
21,526 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The thing Killer Whale has going for it is that it isn't Newport Station. Newport Station with the same group of players is nigh impossible, at least you can 5 star Killer Whale sometimes with out a designated team.

Sometimes even without a team.

Had the Itchy and north second wave Kaiser down to doable levels, but my own brainless carrier sailed into the cap and cost us two stars.

Part of the reason I like playing carriers in KW (despite despising the rework,) is that you can still reach out and touch who you need to.

Arc just makes things even better, since her planes can do things that make bot ruddershift foolishness all but pointlesss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[ICOP]
Members
306 posts
14,050 battles

People shooting the transports while the two BBs are still floating is my biggest gripe.  And it's not just cruisers that do it, BBs will do the same at times as well.

Some good advice is often given out in chat, but the people it is directed at will often ignore the advice.

I always assume that the people doing all the wrong things are new to the OP.  Otherwise I would be frustrated more than when I'm driving on the freeway.   :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[-BRS-]
Members
1,266 posts
17,713 battles

In regards to this objective for not letting entry to the haven, this is what I use as my boundaries. Whether the haven is actually smaller than this, I do not know for certain and honestly do not care to experiment with. See what you think.

3DnXx9D.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles
4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

It is the same like before.

The difference is: players don't play for objectives lately, they just want to farm damage.

Most teams didn't even get the two BB killed, because everyone is in a hurry to leave the map.

With the Royal Ark, I usually send torp bombers to the north before the last ships is killed and attack the Kolberg since he sits still at the spawn. 

Being in a rush to end the game is a result of the overall garbage rewards in PVE.  Throw PVE a bone of some kind.  Sure, sure, those missions pay really well the first time you play them, but after that?  its pretty meh....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[WOLFC]
Members
116 posts
9,374 battles

Here it is, marvel at the worst experience I have ever had in this Operation:

558062789_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2019_09.22-00_14_53_56.thumb.png.b6f5ff3d975ac31ac93e3388e2054a14.png1984838176_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2019_09.22-00_25_58_03.thumb.png.c2b8203ac6e99e137bbf15a85344bfec.png

Yes, only 10 minutes to go and no one but myself (dead) and the cv have even entered the harbor. I assumed the force behind me would follow me into the harbor like every other match but they declined and I got focused by everything.

From this point on it's just "heat death of the universe" bad.

There are probably many ways to do this scenario competently, and it's fine if people want to explore them.

This is not one of them.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,877 posts
3,294 battles
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

Being in a rush to end the game is a result of the overall garbage rewards in PVE.  Throw PVE a bone of some kind.  Sure, sure, those missions pay really well the first time you play them, but after that?  its pretty meh....

Operations are arguably the most lucrative investment of your game time for most people. I consider them the highest ratio of fun vs. pain. Higher win rate than randoms, easier farming of directives and achievements, great credit earning, and you can feel pretty confident in loading up special signals and camps with a low chance of failure on most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[ICOP]
Members
306 posts
14,050 battles
10 hours ago, Lightninger said:

In regards to this objective for not letting entry to the haven, this is what I use as my boundaries. Whether the haven is actually smaller than this, I do not know for certain and honestly do not care to experiment with. See what you think.

3DnXx9D.png

Those are the boundary limits I use as well, but I was in a match over the weekend where a red DD made it to the top of the 'T' in your 'The Haven' and we still got 5 stars.  Go figure....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[-BRS-]
Members
1,266 posts
17,713 battles
14 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Those are the boundary limits I use as well, but I was in a match over the weekend where a red DD made it to the top of the 'T' in your 'The Haven' and we still got 5 stars.  Go figure....

I've also seen the star lost while the destroyer while it was going through the southern entrance way before the point you are talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
944
[WOLF8]
Members
5,628 posts
5,340 battles

When does the V-25 at the west spawn in? Sometimes I see it hustling its way toward the boundary as soon as the ships at the harbor are destroyed, which then I immediately intercept it... while other times I can't seem to find it for the life of me in my planes. I send rocket planes towards C1/D1 as soon as the objective updates, but sometimes it ain't there and I just end up wasting time.

I see a lot of CV players going straight for the Kawachii, which is fine, but my own experience is that most of the time, the V-25 can wreak some serious havok when unchecked. One time I've seen that thing taking out two ships on my team single-handedly... granted they were really dumb so they deserved it, lol. Nevertheless, I try to weaken it (if I can't take it out) as much as I can, while keeping it lit with my fighter planes, hoping for the team to shoot at it and sink it before it comes too close to the boundary. However, I have to find it first, and sometimes it's not there when I get there.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
861
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,642 posts
7,278 battles
59 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

When does the V-25 at the west spawn in? Sometimes I see it hustling its way toward the boundary as soon as the ships at the harbor are destroyed, which then I immediately intercept it... while other times I can't seem to find it for the life of me in my planes. I send rocket planes towards C1/D1 as soon as the objective updates, but sometimes it ain't there and I just end up wasting time.

I see a lot of CV players going straight for the Kawachii, which is fine, but my own experience is that most of the time, the V-25 can wreak some serious havok when unchecked. One time I've seen that thing taking out two ships on my team single-handedly... granted they were really dumb so they deserved it, lol. Nevertheless, I try to weaken it (if I can't take it out) as much as I can, while keeping it lit with my fighter planes, hoping for the team to shoot at it and sink it before it comes too close to the boundary. However, I have to find it first, and sometimes it's not there when I get there.

V-25 spawns slightly lower south on the C1/D1 line at minute 12:00 and it can either motor down south or actually head north depending who's there or not at the moment.

 

There's a small trick where if every enemy ship and forts are killed in the harbor before the 12 min mark and no one is in range of being spotted by anything, then the V-25 will sit still in its spawn until someone on your team gets spotted. Easy pickings on the V-25 especially when using torp planes on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[-BRS-]
Members
1,266 posts
17,713 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

When does the V-25 at the west spawn in? Sometimes I see it hustling its way toward the boundary as soon as the ships at the harbor are destroyed, which then I immediately intercept it... while other times I can't seem to find it for the life of me in my planes. I send rocket planes towards C1/D1 as soon as the objective updates, but sometimes it ain't there and I just end up wasting time.

I see a lot of CV players going straight for the Kawachii, which is fine, but my own experience is that most of the time, the V-25 can wreak some serious havok when unchecked. One time I've seen that thing taking out two ships on my team single-handedly... granted they were really dumb so they deserved it, lol. Nevertheless, I try to weaken it (if I can't take it out) as much as I can, while keeping it lit with my fighter planes, hoping for the team to shoot at it and sink it before it comes too close to the boundary. However, I have to find it first, and sometimes it's not there when I get there.

The V-25 spawns on the west side on the D line at 12:00 remaining on the clock. I have a video where I explain all the spawn times and locations for all the waves.

You can go to my thread I made for this operation to see the other videos I made as well.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[WOLFC]
Members
116 posts
9,374 battles
41 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

There's a small trick where if every enemy ship and forts are killed in the harbor before the 12 min mark and no one is in range of being spotted by anything, then the V-25 will sit still in its spawn until someone on your team gets spotted. Easy pickings on the V-25 especially when using torp planes on it.

I was wondering what produced this behavior.

Good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
944
[WOLF8]
Members
5,628 posts
5,340 battles
9 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

V-25 spawns slightly lower south on the C1/D1 line at minute 12:00 and it can either motor down south or actually head north depending who's there or not at the moment.

 

There's a small trick where if every enemy ship and forts are killed in the harbor before the 12 min mark and no one is in range of being spotted by anything, then the V-25 will sit still in its spawn until someone on your team gets spotted. Easy pickings on the V-25 especially when using torp planes on it.

 

9 hours ago, Lightninger said:

The V-25 spawns on the west side on the D line at 12:00 remaining on the clock. I have a video where I explain all the spawn times and locations for all the waves.

You can go to my thread I made for this operation to see the other videos I made as well.

 

I see. So it's time-based on when the V-25 spawns. I didn't know that. Thanks a lot. :Smile_great:

That being all said... sometimes I even wonder if it's worth going for the DD in the first place. I'm not good enough to reliably hit it with torp bombers, so I have to use the rockets... but the rockets are too weak for me to take it out by myself, which means that most of the time it still makes its way to near the boundary anyway. Especially considering that I play with bunch of random people all the time, I might as just go straight for the Kawachii and farm it instead. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Blorgh2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
861
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,642 posts
7,278 battles
13 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

 

I see. So it's time-based on when the V-25 spawns. I didn't know that. Thanks a lot. :Smile_great:

That being all said... sometimes I even wonder if it's worth going for the DD in the first place. I'm not good enough to reliably hit it with torp bombers, so I have to use the rockets... but the rockets are too weak for me to take it out by myself, which means that most of the time it still makes its way to near the boundary anyway. Especially considering that I play with bunch of random people all the time, I might as just go straight for the Kawachii and farm it instead. :Smile_sceptic:

Even if you don't hit it with torps, you force the V-25 to evade and slow it down on its advance into the haven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
904
[WOLF3]
Members
1,747 posts
6,592 battles
7 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Even if you don't hit it with torps, you force the V-25 to evade and slow it down on its advance into the haven

I have rotten aim versus destroyers using torps, but I always make at least one torp run on the V-25 to give my team a better chance of killing it before it breaches the red line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×