You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cantgobacknow

Submarines and transferable skills

17 comments in this topic

Members
78 posts
447 battles

Outside of World of warships (WoWs), I've always like the idea of submarines, so I'm excited to try them in WoWs.

I've not played WoWs in some time. A noisy PSU kept me away, but I've recently replaced it. I wonder which class people think would have the most transferable skills to submarines? I realize that submarines are a new class and will play differently than all current classes, but that doesn't mean there are no transferable skills.

Edited by cantgobacknow

Members
206 posts
1,751 battles

I would think that the skills needed to be the 'sneaky dd'  (map awareness, knowledge of radar envelopes, detection ranges etc) would be the ones most transferable of 'skills' to subs.  

Members
78 posts
447 battles
11 minutes ago, BadWolfz said:

I would think that the skills needed to be the 'sneaky dd'  (map awareness, knowledge of radar envelopes, detection ranges etc) would be the ones most transferable of 'skills' to subs.  

Would you recommend a destroyer line that you think might best fit? Or would any do?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,958 posts
13,900 battles
16 minutes ago, cantgobacknow said:

Outside of World of warships (WoW), I've always like the idea of submarines, so I'm excited to try them in WoW.

I've not played WoW in some time. A noisy PSU kept me away, but I've recently replaced it. I wonder which class people think would have the most transferable skills to submarines? I realize that submarines are a new class and will play differently than all current classes, but that doesn't mean there are no transferable skills.

If you are a good IJN Torpedo boat captain you may be a good Sub captain.

Pre-planning your moves and excellent situational awareness are going to be a big skill set for Sub Drivers.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,958 posts
13,900 battles
3 minutes ago, cantgobacknow said:

Would you recommend a destroyer line that you think might best fit? Or would any do?

IJN Shima line.

[RKLES]
Members
10,810 posts
12,413 battles

Indeed torpedo boat DDs would have the most overlapping skills. Or you can do what I have done if possible and have a few captains from United States, Japan, and Germany with 10+ skill points not spent on them thanks to resetting them for the purpose of using them for subs later.

But skills like Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Concealment Expert, Last Stand, and Survivability Expert are likely to be useful skills on submarines. Since subs will have very weak armor to make them vulnerable, they will rely on stealth and torpedoes. And these skills live extra health, allow steering and engines to still function if hit, extra stealth, and faster weapons reload.

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
38 minutes ago, cantgobacknow said:

Outside of World of warships (WoW), I've always like the idea of submarines, so I'm excited to try them in WoW.

I've not played WoW in some time. A noisy PSU kept me away, but I've recently replaced it. I wonder which class people think would have the most transferable skills to submarines? I realize that submarines are a new class and will play differently than all current classes, but that doesn't mean there are no transferable skills.

1. The acronym for World of Warships is WoWS, not WoW.  Just an FYI.

2. As for that class of DDs would have the most player skills that would be transferable to playing subs, torpedo bote DDs, I suppose.  But having watched some of the CC's sub preview videos, it looks to me like submarines are going to be so different from even DDs that they're going to require a lot of new skills to play well.  They'd almost be like playing torp bote DDs that had microscopic concealment and were super vulnerable to any damage whatsoever.

Subs appear to be at their most dangerous when they can land two "pings" on an enemy target, because with 2 pings, their torpedoes can somewhat home in on the target and do truly massive damage.  However, it seems that the instant you start pinging, the enemy knows it, so it's something you have to do with care.  And you have to be ready to run away at a moment's notice.

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Indeed torpedo boat DDs would have the most overlapping skills. Or you can do what I have done if possible and have a few captains from United States, Japan, and Germany with 10+ skill points not spent on them thanks to resetting them for the purpose of using them for subs later.

But skills like Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Concealment Expert, Last Stand, and Survivability Expert are likely to be useful skills on submarines. Since subs will have very weak armor to make them vulnerable, they will rely on stealth and torpedoes. And these skills live extra health, allow steering and engines to still function if hit, extra stealth, and faster weapons reload.

Thrawn, I'm not entirely sure that he was talking about captain skills.  I think that he may have been talking about the player skills that you or I or anyone else gain from experience playing the game.  That is, learning about positioning and situational awareness and so on.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
22,984 posts
12,826 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

With their only firing two torpedoes at one time the single fire RN ships may have more overlap.

Members
78 posts
447 battles
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Thrawn, I'm not entirely sure that he was talking about captain skills.  I think that he may have been talking about the player skills that you or I or anyone else gain from experience playing the game.  That is, learning about positioning and situational awareness and so on.

In particular I meant ships whose playstyle may be most similar to subs (which are a bit of an unknown I realize). But player skills and crew skills are useful to for my answer.

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
10 minutes ago, cantgobacknow said:

In particular I meant ships whose playstyle may be most similar to subs (which are a bit of an unknown I realize). But player skills and crew skills are useful to for my answer.

Well, playing stealthy torpedo boat DDs will give you a feel for trying to be the sort of stealthy hunter that subs will be.  But of course, subs will be an even more extreme version of the stealthy hunter.  The proverbial eggshell armed with a hammer.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,361 posts
4,321 battles

RPF is likely to be the most useful sub captain skill of all. You're not completely blind when submerged.

[RDDTX]
Beta Testers
4 posts

I'm seeing more RPF in the three days I've had in closed subs beta than I've seen in four years of playing the main game.

Edited by Bobcat_Cal
A word

[RKLES]
Members
10,810 posts
12,413 battles
1 hour ago, cantgobacknow said:

I did figure you would be training captain skills.

And if you really wanted to get some training on ship attacks you could try the tier 2 German DD, Japanese Shimakaze Line is very good. Also the Minekaze is good. Personally though I feel Kagero class with full stealth build and torpedo Reload Booster to be some of the best practice for submarine tactics as you don’t get smoke, your detection is down to 5.4km. And same with the German tier 2 DD only it gets better detection. These ships do force you to figure out how to get in close enough to launch torpedoes while at the same time trying to not get detected and sunk.

[RKLES]
Members
10,810 posts
12,413 battles

And if you really wanted to get some training on ship attacks you could try the tier 2 German DD, Japanese Shimakaze Line is very good. Also the Minekaze is good. Personally though I feel Kagero class with full stealth build and torpedo Reload Booster to be some of the best practice for submarine tactics as you don’t get smoke, your detection is down to 5.4km. And same with the German tier 2 DD only it gets better detection. These ships do force you to figure out how to get in close enough to launch torpedoes while at the same time trying to not get detected and sunk.

One thing to remember about subs with their oxygen meter, is you want to travel surfaced as much as possible and only submerge if Enemy is about to see you, or you are about to attack. 

Members
78 posts
447 battles
16 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I don't remember if there were captain skills the last time I played or not. If there were, I'd completely forgotten about them :)

[RKLES]
Members
10,810 posts
12,413 battles

I don't remember if there were captain skills the last time I played or not. If there were, I'd completely forgotten about them :)

I think there always were since it’s a good way for Wargaming to allow players to enhance and customize their vehicles in their games. But if you have been gone for long time it’s something easy to forget since often it’s something that’s just there for you, quietly enhancing your ship’s performance. So unless your grinding captain XP or something captain related it could be easy to not think about them.