You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_6iron

fix the pensacola

23 comments in this topic

[LODGE]
Members
12 posts
8,745 battles

Regrinding the line and the Pepsi has been nerfed into almost non-playable. Keep the craparmor, keep the crap17 sec reload, but fix the damn turret rotation.  

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
19,990 battles

Learn to play it there has not been any change. Mine works just as well now as it did when I first got it over a year ago.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
1,097 posts

Works fine for me. 

Please WG don't fix what is not broken just because someone does not know how to play.

[SALVO]
Members
22,935 posts
23,508 battles
3 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

The Pensacola was never a good ship and that has not changed.  

The Pensacola is a super squishy ship with slow loading, but hard hitting 8" guns.

• Cool 1

[CTF38]
Members
4,525 posts
13,231 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Pensacola is a super squishy ship with slow loading, but hard hitting 8" guns.

Tru dat.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,562 posts
23,555 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_6iron said:

Regrinding the line and the Pepsi has been nerfed into almost non-playable. Keep the craparmor, keep the crap17 sec reload, but fix the damn turret rotation.  

Serious, she got a kind of buffed by being T6.

Her AP easy cit any other cruisers.

Crap armor? Welcome to a cruisers life.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,837 posts
12,789 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Learn to play it there has not been any change. Mine works just as well now as it did when I first got it over a year ago.

It does need the turret rotation buff it got as a tier 7. It is a ship that relies on bob & weave which the painfully slow turret rotation impedes. Even without it isn't a bad ship but it is hard to bob & weave while still firing.

@Capt_6iron If you don't have Expert Marksman it is a must for this ship.

[TBW]
Members
8,624 posts
15,482 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_6iron said:

Grinding Pensacola is why they made tier 6 scenarios, signals and camos.

• Funny 1

Members
2,624 posts
7,538 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

It does need the turret rotation buff it got as a tier 7. It is a ship that relies on bob & weave which the painfully slow turret rotation impedes. Even without it isn't a bad ship but it is hard to bob & weave while still firing.

After playing Pensacola at t7 before the split (and having a complete blast once I got the upgraded turrets with the faster turret rotation so you can actually maneuver while still firing instead of picking one or the other), this is the single biggest reason why I don’t like the t6 version compared to the t7. If I had just played the t6 version, I’d probably think it was sluggish but something I had to work with, but having known how it felt at t7, EM just takes it from painfully slow to just very sluggish and has the same damage or dodging that stock t7 did. It’s still somewhat enjoyable to play (at least in co-op and ops), but it just feels so much less comfortable than the upgraded t7 version was.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,837 posts
12,789 battles
16 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

After playing Pensacola at t7 before the split (and having a complete blast once I got the upgraded turrets with the faster turret rotation so you can actually maneuver while still firing instead of picking one or the other), this is the single biggest reason why I don’t like the t6 version compared to the t7. If I had just played the t6 version, I’d probably think it was sluggish but something I had to work with, but having known how it felt at t7, EM just takes it from painfully slow to just very sluggish and has the same damage or dodging that stock t7 did. It’s still somewhat enjoyable to play (at least in co-op and ops), but it just feels so much less comfortable than the upgraded t7 version was.

I have been playing her quite a bit on the sub test server.

[CVA16]
Members
4,043 posts
12,848 battles
16 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Her AP easy cit any other cruisers.

Problem at T6 is that she often overpens cruisers. She can however do serious damage to most broadside BBs, including occasional cits. The flip side of this is that same BB will be doing VERY serious damage to you.

[CVA16]
Members
4,043 posts
12,848 battles
16 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It does need the turret rotation buff it got as a tier 7.

Agree. It seems if you even look at the 'A' or 'D' keys you guns will break lock. You often have to choose whether you are going to shoot OR dodge.

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles
18 hours ago, Capt_6iron said:

But fix the damn turret rotation.  

True, the turrets can be extremely sluggish. But it is not like you cannot work with them; the ship itself is quite maneuverable. Fixing the turret rotation would place it decisively within tier VII, however; it has approximately the same firepower as New Orleans.

34 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Problem at T6 is that she often overpens cruisers. She can however do serious damage to most broadside BBs, including occasional cits. The flip side of this is that same BB will be doing VERY serious damage to you.

Let's take this apart:

she overpens cruisers

In my 2000 PR experience, she doesn't. Because of the improved overbounce angles, she could easily penetrate a citadel belt even 45 degrees angled back. Furthermore, she can strike reliably up to maximum range because her shells have among the best ballistics of the tier.

The flip side of this is that the same BB will be doing VERY serious damage to you

Only if you don't angle. Angling is very easy in the Pensacola provided that your guns get on target because of the extremely good turret angles. Myoko, not so much.

[CVA16]
Members
4,043 posts
12,848 battles
51 minutes ago, tyinnow said:

In my 2000 PR experience, she doesn't. Because of the improved overbounce angles, she could easily penetrate a citadel belt even 45 degrees angled back. Furthermore, she can strike reliably up to maximum range because her shells have among the best ballistics of the tier.

The flip side of this is that the same BB will be doing VERY serious damage to you

Only if you don't angle. Angling is very easy in the Pensacola provided that your guns get on target because of the extremely good turret angles. Myoko, not so much.

It often overpens when you get that perfect broadside shot. You actually have to wait for a bit of an angle. Have the same problem with Molotov. Fire the guns at close range expecting a kill and get 6 overpens. Of course that is mostly against T5 and T6 cruisers.  T7 and T8 ships are (generally) a bit tougher. Its armor is certainly better than some but it still seems an eggshell armed with hammers.

Not saying the ship is useless. It has 10 guns at T6. Guns are actually OK. It is the turrets that drive me crazy. If you want to use the guns, you pretty much have to drive straight.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,837 posts
12,789 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Agree. It seems if you even look at the 'A' or 'D' keys you guns will break lock. You often have to choose whether you are going to shoot OR dodge.

With EM you can use a one click turn and still mostly keep them on target.

[CVA16]
Members
4,043 posts
12,848 battles
33 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

With EM you can use a one click turn and still mostly keep them on target.

I tend to use EM on some ships more than AR because I feel I lose more shots during the game because the guns aren't locked on than I gain in that last gasp before I die exchange. Haven't calculated it out but the decision is more based on the frustration factor during a game waiting for the green circle. Pepsi is one of those ships.

That said, the turrets are STILL damn slow.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,837 posts
12,789 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

I tend to use EM on some ships more than AR because I feel I lose more shots during the game because the guns aren't locked on than I gain in that last gasp before I die exchange. Haven't calculated it out but the decision is more based on the frustration factor during a game waiting for the green circle. Pepsi is one of those ships.

That said, the turrets are STILL damn slow.

EM is my go to first tier 2 skill except on ships that already have extremely fast turrets like the Minotaur and Smolensk. I do a lot of bobbing and weaving so being able to shoot is a must. When I got the Minotaur I moved the captain from the Neptune which had EM, the gun crews on the Mino were getting whiplash the turrets were turning so fast! I changed that after the next free reset.

[CVA16]
Members
4,043 posts
12,848 battles
36 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I do a lot of bobbing and weaving so being able to shoot is a must.

Which is a crux to the whole AR vs EM. Doesn't matter how fast your guns fire if you can't keep them locked on target.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
Members
308 posts
11,077 battles

The Pensacola turrets are slow to reload and even slower to rotate. (15 sec. reload and 45 sec. for 180º turn or 4º/sec. ). So unless you have  Steven Seagal  John Doe or Halsey with improved Expert Marksman skill.
To make it more tolerable at 5º/sec. traverse speed. I suggest to use the ruder as primary aiming tool, kind of like a BB.

• Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles
47 minutes ago, Sammy_Small said:

To make it more tolerable at 5º/sec. traverse speed. I suggest to use the ruder as primary aiming tool, kind of like a BB.

And it's good at that. Pensacola has above-average maneuverability.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, Sabot_100 said:

It often overpens when you get that perfect broadside shot. You actually have to wait for a bit of an angle. Have the same problem with Molotov. Fire the guns at close range expecting a kill and get 6 overpens. Of course that is mostly against T5 and T6 cruisers.  T7 and T8 ships are (generally) a bit tougher. Its armor is certainly better than some but it still seems an eggshell armed with hammers.

Not saying the ship is useless. It has 10 guns at T6. Guns are actually OK. It is the turrets that drive me crazy. If you want to use the guns, you pretty much have to drive straight.

Right, but typically you should be staying far away. You're fragile, and staying far would allow shots to be dodged. That's why Pensacola is such a good ship; it can snipe a cruiser and take down most of its health.

Edited by tyinnow

[CVA16]
Members
4,043 posts
12,848 battles
3 hours ago, tyinnow said:

Right, but typically you should be staying far away.

True, but sometimes the red team doesn't get that memo and closes with you. 

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles
10 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

True, but sometimes the red team doesn't get that memo and closes with you. 

Run. They might be faster, but they would only be converging at 2 knots or less. Not only do you have good firing arcs forward, but backwards also.

Edited by tyinnow