You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

Detonation Increase?

17 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
1,582 posts
10,462 battles

Detonations are not real fun for everyone but they are here to stay.  However, it seems that, perhaps around 8.8 or 8.7, the detonation chance has dramatically increased across the board.  It used to be so rare that I basically just left off the flags, with no issue.  Games in which there was even 1 detonation were fairly rare.

Nowadays it seems like games without a detonation are pretty rare, and multiple detonations in a game is pretty common (I can't say that I had ever seen a multi-detonation game prior to 8.7).

I do not recall seeing any notes relating to this.  Anyone else notice a sharp increase in detonations lately?

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,786 posts
13,811 battles

No really, its just rng, some days will going see more somedays less.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
6,912 posts
4,942 battles

I refuse to answer on account of it might increase my detonation rate.

As a matter of fact, I was never here.

• Funny 4

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,591 posts
10,798 battles
19 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Detonations are not real fun for everyone but they are here to stay.  However, it seems that, perhaps around 8.8 or 8.7, the detonation chance has dramatically increased across the board.  It used to be so rare that I basically just left off the flags, with no issue.  Games in which there was even 1 detonation were fairly rare.

Nowadays it seems like games without a detonation are pretty rare, and multiple detonations in a game is pretty common (I can't say that I had ever seen a multi-detonation game prior to 8.7).

I do not recall seeing any notes relating to this.  Anyone else notice a sharp increase in detonations lately?

It's RNG - I get frustrated by the fact SC's will give me the anti-det flags I almost never use. Because while my RNG sucks most everywhere else, it's not often my ship gets detonated. Though occasionally the game goes 'your turn to suffer' and start running the flags because I suddenly have a series of them. 

Wargaming hasn't released what the actual chances of detonation are, the most info we have is that A: Each ship has it's own native chanced based on factors and B: it increases as the Magazines take damage. And that HE is more likely to trigger it cause it just has to be close enough to hit with splash damage as opposed to AP needing a direct hit. So landing 5 5 of each round type on the same spots could generate 1 roll for AP and 3 for HE. 

That said, I had a Nurnberg I think it was running down my Ark Royal cause the flank collapsed and as it was shooting at me a rocket hit it and it's HP vanished to which I initially thought another ship had shot it, yurned out a single RP-3 (because it was below threshold at that point) detonated it. So maybe they did cause other than maybe once with a Tiny Tim (because it's basically a 12 inch BB round with a 14 inch rounds bursting charge), I've never actually seen a normal rocket detonate anything but again, RNG.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles

No I have seen no increase. In fact I have had to work hard to get detonated for quite a while. It took several days to get detonated one time since 8.8 went live.

[INTEL]
Members
2,551 posts
13,035 battles
57 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Anecdotally, it seems so.   This weekend had two DDs on my team detonated within the space of 30 seconds so I noticed.  Several other noticeable detonations over other games this past couple of weeks and I've detonated a few ships myself.  But I have no data to back up a real increase.

[NUWES]
Members
2,614 posts
8,402 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

That's what's called a "Clustering Illusion." Detonations happen just like they always have. It's the same as a person getting a good or bad streak and thinking the odds have changed. Like most of the playerbase I don't find detonations fun or engaging, but they happen with the same odds that they always did. You just happened to view a small cluster of them occurring in quick succession. 

• Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

They're still pretty rare IMO.

But I did detonate a Soviet BB with 1 torp the other day. I found that to be very fun and engaging. :)

Even he commented in-game chat that it's never happened to him before...

[GOB]
Members
887 posts

I know they all have their spreadsheets to shoot down any claim but it seems 3 out of 10 times I play my T10 DD.. JUST as I am having a great game DET!! 

Lemme put my tinfoil on but they are just forcing us to waste a signal space on a MAYBE so we can't stack so many.

[USCGC]
Members
414 posts
3,593 battles
4 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

They're still pretty rare IMO.

But I did detonate a Soviet BB with 1 torp the other day. I found that to be very fun and engaging. :)

Even he commented in-game chat that it's never happened to him before...

The first one I can remeber happened to me in Alabama during the last clan battle. She has either 2nd best or 4th best torpedo belt in the game, I can't remember which. I had a torp spread coming in which looked liked I was going to take two, maybe three after putting the rudder hard over. It wasn't to be sadly, the first torpedo hit near turret 1, for a detonation. I was surprised at that one :cap_wander_2:

It happens to me sporadically other wise.

Members
2,608 posts
509 battles

suffering from premature detonation??
There's a  pill   FLAG for that ya know

:Smile_trollface:

OH yeah... AND.....

hB9FKzM.gif

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Funny 1

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,601 battles

There's two kinds of detonations.  There's the one where you have 4 torpedoes about to hit you which is going to make you very dead but the first one makes you detonate.  Kind of shrug your shoulders about those.

Then there's the one where you get hit by a shell that should take you from 65% health to 60% health but it detonates you instead.  Those are the ones that hurt.

I got detonated in back to back battles this weekend, one of each type... but I'm not waving any conspiracy flags.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,912 posts
4,942 battles
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I refuse to answer on account of it might increase my detonation rate.

As a matter of fact, I was never here.

Guess what happened today? 

Do not tempt fate.

Just don't.

Image result for Detonation gif

[INTEL]
Members
11,327 posts
31,775 battles
6 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Seems to be RNG. It goes in streaks. It's a stupid, unethical mechanic that WG keeps in the game to inflict arbitrary damage on hard working, aggressive players, but as you say, they need to make their damage quotas and they won't get rid of it.