You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jarod997

Multiple Installations, limited bandwidth

8 comments in this topic

[CS7]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
340 posts
3,876 battles

Dear Wargaming

I appreciate that you want to have separate installations ensure code is separate between Live, Public Test, and "special" TST, (and whatever else). My problem is I dislike (to put it politely) to have to download 45 gb worth of data ever time I want to either download a new instance, or update one of the "special" instances. I have country DSL where I get at max 5.5 mb down - my average download speed for a game update is 600 kb. It took me 3 nights of solid downloading to finish installing the TST instance.

Could you look and implementing some sort of smart tech where you can see what files the user already has and use those for a new instance (either a fresh install, or an update) instead of downloading new copies? It should be easy enough to build an XML or CSV data file of existing file names, paths, and versions, then compare that to what the user needs for a new instance (or to update an instance), copy the existing files, then download the new data.

The most frustrating thing for me though, is I can see a fiber termination 2 telephone poles down the street from me. :(

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,959 posts
13,900 battles
44 minutes ago, Jarod997 said:

The most frustrating thing for me though, is I can see a fiber termination 2 telephone poles down the street from me. :(

This is where I would start my problem solving.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
3 hours ago, Jarod997 said:

Dear Wargaming

I appreciate that you want to have separate installations ensure code is separate between Live, Public Test, and "special" TST, (and whatever else). My problem is I dislike (to put it politely) to have to download 45 gb worth of data ever time I want to either download a new instance, or update one of the "special" instances. I have country DSL where I get at max 5.5 mb down - my average download speed for a game update is 600 kb. It took me 3 nights of solid downloading to finish installing the TST instance.

Could you look and implementing some sort of smart tech where you can see what files the user already has and use those for a new instance (either a fresh install, or an update) instead of downloading new copies? It should be easy enough to build an XML or CSV data file of existing file names, paths, and versions, then compare that to what the user needs for a new instance (or to update an instance), copy the existing files, then download the new data.

I like the way Eagle Dynamics does this for DCS World... you can change a property in the shortcut and it downloads a few necessary files to activate an early access version of the program without having to download the whole thing multiple times. 

I've had some integrity checks in WoWS require 20gb downloads when I'm experiencing frequent crashes- which is annoying even if I'm bringing data in at 10mb+ per second. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

[CS7]
340 posts
3,876 battles
52 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Wait... you have a 600kb connection in Ottawa?

I live in the heart of Calgary and 45GB's would take... between 1 - 2.5 hours probably.

Actually I'm 30-45 minutes west of Ottawa, in the country, where my closest neighbours are the deer and turkeys that wander through my back yard. I can do a speed test and get 6 mb on average, but I'm sure Bell prioritizes those packets to make themselves look good.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
22,986 posts
12,826 battles
1 hour ago, Jarod997 said:

Dear Wargaming

The patches are just that and usually not as large as initial down loads although we have had some rather large ones recently but with 5.5 Mb you should be able to download the full install over night. It took me about 1/2 hour to download and install the TST client on my 100 Mb cable line which typically gets 115 - 116 Mb.

[CS7]
340 posts
3,876 battles
19 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The patches are just that and usually not as large as initial down loads although we have had some rather large ones recently but with 5.5 Mb you should be able to download the full install over night. It took me about 1/2 hour to download and install the TST client on my 100 Mb cable line which typically gets 115 - 116 Mb.

Again, my practical average download speed for Warships patches is about 600 kb (max) - regardless of what my line is rated for (10 mb), and what I can get max (5.5 mb at the distance from the CO I'm at on my DSL line).

But again, aside from my personal situation which I'm sure isn't unique, there is a smarter way to handle patch downloads than what is being done right now through the WGC.

[CS7]
340 posts
3,876 battles
On 9/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, ElectroVeeDub said:

Wait... you have a 600kb connection in Ottawa?

I live in the heart of Calgary and 45GB's would take... between 1 - 2.5 hours probably.

If I put "White Lake" as my location nobody in Canada, let alone the US will have a clue where I live. If I say Ottawa then Canadians are on the ball and half of the Americans have an idea where I'm at. ;)