You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GUTB

Checking in: Game Getting Better?

27 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
732 posts
3,319 battles

With the recent updates has the game gotten any better? Has the carrier design change gone live yet? 

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,650 posts
6 minutes ago, GUTB said:

With the recent updates has the game gotten any better? Has the carrier design change gone live yet? 

I think so.

The CV rework went live 9 months ago.  Submarines are being added to the game now and are currently in testing.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,894 posts
8,457 battles

The new CVs have been around for a while, you should try out the soviet BBs. Basically immune bow on and extremely fire resistant. Might be right up your alley. 

But otherwise not really, wg is doing wg things. 

[WULUF]
Members
80 posts
4,930 battles

I think it gets a bit better each patch. Though, to be honest, just try it out for yourself. These forums are not a good place to get an I formed opinion on if the game is better than when you stopped playing.

• Funny 1

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles

Depends on what you like.  Carriers have sort of settled in at this point.  Opinions are... divided.  The current villain-of-the-week is the HE fire spammer, led by the new premiums Smolensk and Colbert.  

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
9,539 battles

Well, depends on how long you haven't been playing, and CVs remain a fairly contentious point.

If you're coming from before CV rework things might be a bit of a shock, since almost everyone has had to adjust their playstyle to account for the increased presence of carriers.  In particular, early caps have changed significantly in terms of importance.  CVs provide a source of extremely powerful and temporary on-demand vision.  For DDs, early capping is essentially waving a big "I'm here come get me" sign.  On the other hand, there seems to be much less static camping and overwhelming vision dominance compared to pre-rework.  If your team's DDs get absolutely obliterated 3 minutes in, the CVs ensure that you'll never be completely useless against vision control (though it is still a major disadvantage).

If you're concerned about post-rework balance and already know the impact of the CV class on the meta, then it's definitely a better time to come back.  Regardless if you think vision is fun to play against or not, the tier 6 and up CVs are probably the best balanced they've been in a while.  As a whole they do less damage (dive bomber nerf + speed nerf), but are a bit harder to deplane (rebalanced plane HP values).  AA within tier was flattened, the top AA ships are nowhere as deadly, but most ships with all three AA auras have decent AA at worst  - notable winners here are Roma and the KMS BBs.  As it stands, in order to contribute reasonable damage, CVs need to be continually attacking.  If you're not their target, near their target, or no the way to their target the changes that the CV will spot you are very slim.

Combine that last point with the recent release of French Destroyers (high mobility high visibility gunboats), and the popularity of the Akizuki line, vision control play is oddly viable at the moment.  The average concealment of the enemy DD lineup has gone way up, making concealment based DDs rather fun at the moment.  I'm personally using this time to grind my z23, and often find myself to be the stealthiest boat in the bracket.  Oh, and perhaps this is just me, but I've noticed a dip in cruiser play recently in tiers 6-9.  Can't really say why.  Regardless, many of my games are 4 DDs, 2-3 cruisers, and a load of BBs w/ maybe a CV.  

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
5,172 posts
16,266 battles

I've enjoyed the game since I joined four years ago.  I enjoy the CVs.  All said, I'm having a grand time.

Note that I've been involved in online shooters for over ten years.  Every one of them eventually lost me for one reason or another.  WOWS has held me longer than any in the past, so I give it kudos for that alone.  And I can't see my fun waning anytime soon.  But I suspect it will end some day.  Just not today.  Not today.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
2,629 posts
7,524 battles
9 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Depends on what you like.  Carriers have sort of settled in at this point.  Opinions are... divided.  The current villain-of-the-week is the HE fire spammer, led by the new premiums Smolensk and Colbert.  

I am Vishnu! I am the Dark Side! I am Enterprise and Smolensk! :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFG]
Members
6,937 posts
4,987 battles
14 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

The current villain-of-the-week is the HE fire spammer, led by the new premiums Smolensk and Colbert.  

Hosho is still hanging in there.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

The new sounds seem to be drawing a fair amount of ire as well... I still haven't seen a single thread asking for improved sounds but they're here. 

Yay.

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Hosho is still hanging in there.

Right, I forgot about the Terror of Tier Four.  I've been cowering at higher tiers just to avoid it.

1 minute ago, _ENO_ said:

The new sounds seem to be drawing a fair amount of ire as well... I still haven't seen a single thread asking for improved sounds but they're here. 

Wasn't pretty much everybody who plays the test stuff saying "Wow these new sounds are borked, please don't push them to live"?  I don't pay that much attention to test servers but I know I saw several people saying that.  And then... here they are on live.

Members
3,638 posts
18,026 battles
1 minute ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Wasn't pretty much everybody who plays the test stuff saying "Wow these new sounds are borked, please don't push them to live"?  I don't pay that much attention to test servers but I know I saw several people saying that.  And then... here they are on live.

Deadlines man gotta meet the deadline does it matter if it works?:Smile_trollface:

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
6 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Yeah but I think they were literally just all screwed up. Now there's some new slider system that is completely non-intuitive and restricts any functional control of the sounds most people want to customize to suit their own preferences. 

The one at the top of my hit list right now is the klaxon alarm that sounds off throughout the entirety of a fire (and probably flooding- I don't remember since I'm just aggravated about the one I hear all game).

The sliders and general control profile for sounds is one whole problem I think you're right- was brought up during testing and rolled out anyway. My biggest grief and the one I'm starting to see more of is about specific sounds that have been changed and contribute nothing to the overall experience. 

[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,017 battles
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Carrier changes are in the game and pretty much "meh". If you liked the old carriers, the new ones probably won't be all that fun unless you like flying planes around.... 

The game is in a weird spot, it really isn't fun but it does not suck enough to bail yet... I think the operative word is "yet".

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The game is in a weird spot, it really isn't fun but it does not suck enough to bail yet... I think the operative word is "yet".

This is really well put. 

I feel like I play now since I've spent a lot of time learning the different aspects of it- and to dump it would mean I spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours over the past few years wasting my time for nothing.

I feel like I go to put "time in" to get benefit from the time I already spent... I'm not really even sure I enjoy myself. It's just a part of the routine- 

On the plus side it's a lot easier to disconnect from it when things aren't going favourably and move on. I don't care about any event, barely care about any reward and am not as emotionally engaged with the changes. 

Except the fire klaxon. [edited] the klaxon. 

Edited by _ENO_

[TNG-2]
Members
2,038 posts
4,301 battles
1 hour ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

The new CVs have been around for a while, you should try out the soviet BBs. Basically immune bow on and extremely fire resistant. Might be right up your alley. 

But otherwise not really, wg is doing wg things. 

Yoshino says high ;) 

granted she is highly situational, but 61mm pen with IFHE will pen that pesky deck of theirs.

Edited by Legio_X_

Members
487 posts
3,765 battles

Don't forget there are new toys coming to play with the Italian Cruisers will be here in the next patches, and also coming are a RN cruiser split, so we will have RN Heavy Cruisers.  I agree with a lot of what has been said here, which is contradictory, I know.  The game is in a weird spot as Taylor says.  You really should see for yourself, since folks can't seem to agree on whether the game is heading down the drain, skating on thin ice, or moving in the right direction.  The thing is the game is always changing, sometimes towards the good side, sometimes towards the bad.

[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,017 battles
2 minutes ago, HayabusaZ said:

Don't forget there are new toys coming to play with the Italian Cruisers will be here in the next patches, and also coming are a RN cruiser split, so we will have RN Heavy Cruisers.  I agree with a lot of what has been said here, which is contradictory, I know.  The game is in a weird spot as Taylor says.  You really should see for yourself, since folks can't seem to agree on whether the game is heading down the drain, skating on thin ice, or moving in the right direction.  The thing is the game is always changing, sometimes towards the good side, sometimes towards the bad.

The one thing that I am excited for are the Italian cruisers. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,943 posts
13,846 battles

For me the game started out great and has only been getting better and better.

Members
854 posts
3,931 battles

At first glace I thought someone had Necro'd an old thread.  I wonder why I thought that?

[SCREW]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
128 posts
3,096 battles

I have to take months-long break due to a combination of having two of my three kiddos being under 2 years old, work, and the little free time I have spent playing other games too.. that being said I have been playing since beta and I have only had (mostly) fun everytime I play. I have not had a moment where I thought to rage uninstall the game and that it was "going down the tubes" like some others have had.

I just really enjoy it, honestly.. But I also really enjoy(ed?) World of Warplanes as well..... So maybe that says something about me specifically, haha!

YMMV.

-JP

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,791 posts
13,813 battles

for me i'm playing a lot less then before soooo........ not really.

or i'm just getting bored from this game after 10k+ battles.