You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chain_shot

Engine noise SFX

5 comments in this topic

[RELAX]
Members
1,139 posts
8,603 battles

Wow WG who decided that the engine noise should sound so bad?

The engines on the ships sound like they are all suffering from rod knock or a tappet problem. Should seriously tune the motor sound up a bit. At the moment the engines sound like they are on the verge of grenading a piston or two.

If I heard that knock in my engines I be tearing it down and rebuilding it before it blew up.

Back to the fx engine drawing board for you WG :Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 3

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
2 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

Wow WG who decided that the engine noise should sound so bad?

The engines on the ships sound like they are all suffering from rod knock or a tappet problem. Should seriously tune the motor sound up a bit. At the moment the engines sound like they are on the verge of grenading a piston or two.

If I heard that knock in my engines I be tearing it down and rebuilding it before it blew up.

Back to the fx engine drawing board for you WG :Smile_ohmy:

The whole thing is a bit ridiculous. I don’t recall ever seeing a thread about “Improve our sounds- not immersive enough! Need fire and flooding klaxon! Need to sound like we are in the bowels of the ship plx.”

I understand the game needs to stay current and fresh but adding sounds to some of the most offputting elements of the game (Fire / flooding) on endless repeat is not how you do it. 

I can’t imagine the meeting of minds that occurred where it was agreed to run klaxons throughout the entirety of each fire event... knowing that these can last up to a minute every. Single. Fire.

And with Gumos, Colbert’s, Thunderers, Conqs, Zaos, and Smolensks running around at that. 

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. 

Members
1,940 posts
6,133 battles

The engines sounds are accurate. Big diesels at that time all had some kind of knock and a pulsating pounding this is the 1940"s No turbines. as for the rest of the sounds that's call immersion. The realistic sounds have improved the game.

• Confused 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,218 posts
11,364 battles
1 minute ago, Raven114 said:

The engines sounds are accurate. Big diesels at that time all had some kind of knock and a pulsating pounding this is the 1940"s No turbines. as for the rest of the sounds that's call immersion. The realistic sounds have improved the game.

Wrong. That’s called over-generalization, and wrong over-generalization at that.

The vast majority of ships slotted intoT6 and above had steam turbines and reduction gears. And turbo-electric drive, which some in-game ships had IRL, goes back 100 or more years.

The current sounds for engines are inaccurate for either of those types.

And prior to that, most ships modeled in-game had triple-expansion steam engines.

Diesels comprised a small minority of propulsion plants of the ships modeled in the game.

And apart from engine sounds, turret rotation that sounds like barber’s clippers is not acccurate either.

• Cool 2