You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Roberto577_One

Should I save my free XP?

24 comments in this topic

Members
71 posts
961 battles

I have 200K free XP, enough for me to completely free XP the Amagi from the Nagato along with all of it's modules. Should I spend it all, or grind the Nagato? I don't mind either option, I'm liking the Nagato, and I just had a 140K damage, 2.5K base XP carry in it, but I've heard good things about the Amagi, and I'm looking foward to the 32mm armor to keep me from getting overmatched. Keep in mind that the Amagi will be my first ever Tier 8 ship.

Members
2,891 posts
10,661 battles

If you are enjoying the game, save for a FXP ship. If you are unsure about your thoughts on the game, do as you please. 

Also one of the first lines I progressed was the IJN BBs, I personally disliked nearly all prior ships in that line till the Amagi. Really enjoyed it, now not sure how power crept it is now. This was 2 years go. 

I was tempted to quit the game prior to the Amagi, but now here I am 10k games later. Darn you Amagi. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[SCREW]
Members
656 posts
7,145 battles
16 minutes ago, Roberto577_One said:

I have 200K free XP, enough for me to completely free XP the Amagi from the Nagato along with all of it's modules. Should I spend it all, or grind the Nagato? I don't mind either option, I'm liking the Nagato, and I just had a 140K damage, 2.5K base XP carry in it, but I've heard good things about the Amagi, and I'm looking foward to the 32mm armor to keep me from getting overmatched. Keep in mind that the Amagi will be my first ever Tier 8 ship.

Save it incase the Izumo doesnt agree with you... or save it for something that really pisses you off in other lines.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,025 posts
17,147 battles
17 minutes ago, Roberto577_One said:

Amagi is one of the strongest t8 battleships....

Enjoy her.

[BB22]
Members
468 posts
5,797 battles

Don't skip Nagato. It doesn't take long to grind and I kept it. One of my favorite tier 7s. I think I skipped half of the izumo. But even that has been buffed since I played it last.  

Generally save your exp so you can avoid the stock grind and play the ships fully upgraded.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,803 posts
12,776 battles
2 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

Don't skip Nagato. It doesn't take long to grind and I kept it. One of my favorite tier 7s. I think I skipped half of the izumo. But even that has been buffed since I played it last.  

Generally save your exp so you can avoid the stock grind and play the ships fully upgraded.

It does take a bit to get used to the less nimble but much harder hitting Nagato but it is not a candidate for by passing. Hang onto that free experience for the Izumo which while not a bad ship is frustrating to play in the tier 10 environment. The new MM may have fixed that but I don't know.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

General recommendation I read is to save the free experience for unlocking modules for new ships, not the ship itself since some ships are painful grinds stock.

Members
71 posts
961 battles

Wow thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna save the Nagato, been really enjoying it. Just had a 167K Kraken as top tier. I dev-striked a Kongo, which was my first time dev-striking a BB in anything other than a DD.

Edit: apparently in the 4 games I've had in the Nagato, I've averaged 126K damage and won 3 of the 4. Hoping I can keep it up!

Edited by Roberto577_One

[O-PN]
Members
2,098 posts
4,408 battles

I spend FXP -- depending on the ship I may just skip it if it's been in the game a while and has had its efficacy eroded by the continual power creep of each "new" ship.

I'm nearly at 1mil FXP again though.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,798 posts
5,556 battles
1 hour ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

If you are enjoying the game, save for a FXP ship.

I would add, if you are enjoying a ship (and by your following posts, you are having a good time with Nagato)  - even if she has weaknesses - enjoy playing out the grind.  Bank the FXP, and snag an FXP ship. 

• Cool 2

[VW]
Members
3,212 posts
16,263 battles

Do you have nelson, alaska, friesland? If not do you want one? I have never spent free xp on anything other than free xp ships until this year and now only to get a few more tier 10 for more supercontainers. Personally i dont think any other use is worth it. 

Members
151 posts
8,113 battles

If your fairly new you should probably hang onto the FXP and spend it on Nelson. Pretty sure its still up for 375k FXP and its a pretty decent credit earner (and you will need good credit earners!). Nagato and Amagi are both great so I'd just grind through those. Even Izumo has seen buffs over the years and isn't bad like it use to be. 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
1 hour ago, PowerSurged said:

If your fairly new you should probably hang onto the FXP and spend it on Nelson. Pretty sure its still up for 375k FXP and its a pretty decent credit earner (and you will need good credit earners!). Nagato and Amagi are both great so I'd just grind through those. Even Izumo has seen buffs over the years and isn't bad like it use to be. 

Hard ship, but when you figure Nelson out she will farm Dreadnoughts and Fireproofs like few others can. Both of which giving signals great for a newbie. It's easy to get 10 of each reward signal per day if one uses Nelson often.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

Members
151 posts
8,113 battles
1 hour ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Hard ship, but when you figure Nelson out she will farm Dreadnoughts and Fireproofs like few others can. Both of which giving signals great for a newbie. It's easy to get 10 of each reward signal per day if one uses Nelson often.

Nah not bad at all really. Just remember point bow at the enemy and if you can fire your 3rd turret then the enemy can citadel you (generally speaking). It has a RN super heal so while your armor isn't super amazing you can print a new ship multiple times in a battle. 

[H_]
Members
2,892 posts
13,291 battles
5 hours ago, Roberto577_One said:

I'm an IJN main.  To be honest, save what ever FXP you can because, as said above, one of the IJN BB's will be too much of a cross to bear"...  For me, I had to put the Amagi down or quit the game.  I don't know why, but that ship was my cross and the Izumo and I had a blast???  I didn't spend FXP on the Amagi BUT, had I thought about it, I probably should have !    Morale of the story is save whatever you can !  At some point, there will be an expense, a ship or a grind you'll love to have that FXP to obtain or avoid something.....

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
7 hours ago, Roberto577_One said:

I'm looking foward to the 32mm armor to keep me from getting overmatched.

Musashi and Yamato say hello. 

Also with being your first tier 8 I recommend playing through the Nagato so that your abilities meet the needs of the tier.

I don’t say this because you NEED to be good or even competent. Some people are just playing “for fun” etc- if you rush into high tier, FXPing through competitive ships  and exposing yourself to tiers you haven’t played yet... Do you really want to skip through Nagato to end up in tiers where you’ll see Ohio’s, Colberts, Smolensks, Bourgognes... 

Enjoy tier 7 and play through it. Build up your FXP, save it. Become comfortable with gameplay up to tier 9 before putting the trigger. Develop your situational awareness and make sure your aiming is on point... 

Or just FXP into Amagi. It’s your FXP after all... 

[TIAR]
Beta Testers
818 posts
15,712 battles

I would suggest NOT skipping Nagato.

While grinding you will also increase your captain skills which you will need at tier 8.

I would advise to have at least a 14 points captain for any tier 8 and up ship .

[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles
2 hours ago, PowerSurged said:

Nah not bad at all really. Just remember point bow at the enemy and if you can fire your 3rd turret then the enemy can citadel you (generally speaking). It has a RN super heal so while your armor isn't super amazing you can print a new ship multiple times in a battle. 

It's a T7 BB with a very high citadel. Pointing your bow at the enemy isn't as reliable as in a T8 BB. If they can overmatch your bow and you're not angled for that, you will likely die as if you gave broadside. Getting close to a ship like NC, for example, no matter the angling you try to do, tends to go extremely poorly. It's so bad that the moment ships like that get within 10km of me I'll start reversing, as the closer they get the easier it is to punch through the opening in your defenses. Angling for the side tends to leave the bow vulnerable and vice versa, and if they are any good at aiming you're in for a world of hurt.

You may have a super heal, but you can't heal a dev strike, after all.

[CNO]
Members
5,172 posts
16,266 battles
9 hours ago, Zaydin said:

General recommendation I read is to save the free experience for unlocking modules for new ships, not the ship itself since some ships are painful grinds stock.

^^^this^^^  Quite often it's the hull upgrade.  Some ships have significant performance differences between stock and full spec.  It's not fun to free XP to a new ship that you have to grind stock before it can perform properly.  Better to grind to the ship with regular XP, then free XP almost immediately to a properly performing ship.

[FORM]
Members
939 posts
8,304 battles
9 hours ago, MinkeWhale said:

I'm playing it now, and the Izumo is terrible. Not nearly as good a ship as the Musashi. I'm only bothering b/c of the 200% exp bonus for the anniversary. As soon as that is about to end, I'm spending the FXP to get the Yam. Izumo seems to get over pens or failed to penetrated 2x as often as any other BB I've seen. And the main & secondary turret layout means you have to expose too much of a soft broadside to get any firepower going. Yah... it is terribad.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,521 posts
6,749 battles

As a side note, you can grind up to a brand new ship, then find you don't have a captain for it.  FXP is the most versatile currency in the game, so don't forget its uses in bringing a new captain to proficiency or tacking on that extra point you needed for the captain's skill you really want.  

In general, I'd save your FXP until you come up against something you decide you cannot pass up.  Be that a FXP ship, a module grind to bring a ship you just purchased to the performance you expect of it, or a new captain when you don't have one to spare, only spend your FXP when you can't bear not to.

[BB22]
Members
468 posts
5,797 battles
15 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I'm playing it now, and the Izumo is terrible. Not nearly as good a ship as the Musashi. I'm only bothering b/c of the 200% exp bonus for the anniversary. As soon as that is about to end, I'm spending the FXP to get the Yam. Izumo seems to get over pens or failed to penetrated 2x as often as any other BB I've seen. And the main & secondary turret layout means you have to expose too much of a soft broadside to get any firepower going. Yah... it is terribad.

Yeah you need to mostly ignore that turret,  like an Iowa. If you are using it a lot bad things happen.  I agree, just lackluster. 

For the firepower you get are just a huge target. I played it pre carrier rework, and carriers loved bombing that huge thing. I assume it's still a juicy bomb target.

[FORM]
Members
939 posts
8,304 battles
12 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

Yeah you need to mostly ignore that turret,  like an Iowa. If you are using it a lot bad things happen.  I agree, just lackluster. For the firepower you get are just a huge target. I played it pre carrier rework, and carriers loved bombing that huge thing. I assume it's still a juicy bomb target.

It is a juicy target for EVERYTHING... and the gun range is really short w/o spotter planes up, which means you need to be inside the fire range of all the dakka dakka fire starters. If the goal is to set a new personal record for over pens though, she's awesome! 

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles
10 hours ago, Roberto577_One said:

Do you have Nelson?