You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
orangeandblue

Friedrich der Grosse or Iowa?

26 comments in this topic

[KMS2]
Members
475 posts
6,445 battles

So I have both the Friedrich der Grosse and Iowa unlocked and can't decide which one to go for. To be painfully honest I've struggled a lot with the North Carolina for whatever reason. I have concealment and survival skills for my captain so I can disappear between salvos. I've had some pretty good games in her and still lost and then I've had some games where I was left wondering WTH. I'm not a bad BB player in general but I do struggle more with the North Carolina so I'm inclined to play it more now that I have it elited and get more used to the playstyle. I do good in my German BB's in general but I'm not sure if that's because they're more forgiving?

So...looking for recommendations on which ship to pick up. I've heard good and bad about both. The tier X's in each line seem to be decent as well. Thanks! :) o7

[CHASE]
Beta Testers
339 posts
11,418 battles

The Iowa is a much more consistent performer than the FdG. FdG suffers from fewer and less accurate guns, not to mention poor firing arcs for the rear turrets which means you need to show more broadside when firing all your guns. With the Iowa, you can go bow in and still have 2/3 of your guns available, with FdG, you only have 4 inaccurate guns. The only advantage FdG has is hydro, which lets you detect torps and DDs sooner and turtle back armor which lets you get away with showing broadside, but not really because you still eat tons of penetration damage.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
11 minutes ago, orangeandblue said:

So I have both the Friedrich der Grosse and Iowa unlocked and can't decide which one to go for. To be painfully honest I've struggled a lot with the North Carolina for whatever reason. I have concealment and survival skills for my captain so I can disappear between salvos. I've had some pretty good games in her and still lost and then I've had some games where I was left wondering WTH. I'm not a bad BB player in general but I do struggle more with the North Carolina so I'm inclined to play it more now that I have it elited and get more used to the playstyle. I do good in my German BB's in general but I'm not sure if that's because they're more forgiving?

So...looking for recommendations on which ship to pick up. I've heard good and bad about both. The tier X's in each line seem to be decent as well. Thanks! :) o7

Well judging from your stats you have a LOT more experience on the German BB line than you do on the US Mass and Bam. From a comfort zone perspective I think FDG might be the most comfortable move. You're individual stats in those ships aren't particularly better... your damage levels about the same- but clearly you've connected with the German line so I'd be "disinclined to acquiesce" a move to Iowa. 

As mentioned above, you'd excel at close to medium range and with the hydro you could operate with a little more security around cruiser and DD torps. Secondaries are okay but not sure if they're worth spec'ing full out for. I'd be leaning on damage control first with a solid investment in secondaries... I think the days of full on secondary builds are only for those not triggered by being on fire all game. 

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,824 posts
3,793 battles

Iowa is probably the more meta ship, but at the end both are very similar to their tier 8 counterparts. I would use those as your baseline for a decision.

• Cool 2

Members
56 posts
3,766 battles

How well you play the Iowa is going to depend on your skill. Her guns are way more accurate than FDG, but the lack of secondaries and turtleback armor may leave you wanting. If you are more of a casual BB player who is just okay at aiming, I would suggest FDG as your success in her will likely stem from the experience of the in-game captain (secondary build). It is forgiving in its high hp value, hydro consumable, and armor layout.

I personally would say that there is a higher skill gap if you get good in the Iowa. For example, you are liable to get one shot if broadside in the Iowa, but not so much in the FDG (it will still hurt a lot). I tend to play with concealment and speed in my Iowa to limit engagements, but this may be at odds with the preferred secondary-focused playstyle of FDG. Regardless, both are solid ships whichever you decide to pick.

Cheers!

• Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
475 posts
6,445 battles
10 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Well judging from your stats you have a LOT more experience on the German BB line than you do on the US Mass and Bam. From a comfort zone perspective I think FDG might be the most comfortable move. You're individual stats in those ships aren't particularly better... your damage levels about the same- but clearly you've connected with the German line so I'd be "disinclined to acquiesce" a move to Iowa. 

As mentioned above, you'd excel at close to medium range and with the hydro you could operate with a little more security around cruiser and DD torps. Secondaries are okay but not sure if they're worth spec'ing full out for. I'd be leaning on damage control first with a solid investment in secondaries... I think the days of full on secondary builds are only for those not triggered by being on fire all game. 

You are correct. I'm not sure why, probably the Tirptiz, but I also really, really, really, really LOVE the Bismarck, Gneisenau and I'm also fairly fond on the Scharnhorst. As an example, I just played this game in the North Carolina and this would be considered a good game for me.

image.thumb.png.706a3416711e2ed95bbe8c8bcb08c51b.png

Since time is not necessarily "of the essence" here I probably am not going to be making any moves tonight. But soon, and I'll like go FDG. It's the ship I unlocked first and then got to thinking about how close I was to Iowa as well. Alabama plays closer to the NC IMO, and the Mass, well, I like it for the secondaries and I've just gotten a captain that works well in her so started playing her more. 

[UNNAT]
Members
550 posts
5,140 battles

Iowa is the better ship overall, just be aware that her armor is terrible if you are not perfectly bow on.

[SCREW]
Members
656 posts
7,146 battles

FDG is kinda crap imho.

And my GK doesnt see anywhere near as much use as the Monty. My choice would be the Iowa.

Members
2,634 posts
7,566 battles

From a purely meta and numbers perspective, I’d say Iowa - it’s got much more accurate guns that hit hard, decent angles (plus you can stay bow in and keep 2/3 of your guns in play unlike the 1/2 that FdG gets), more speed and agility, and you still have the ability to brawl pretty well (although Iowa can’t do it as well as NC or Montana) but you are more comfortable in the 8-15km range. And it leads to Montana, still one of the best t10 BBs in the game. Yes, I’m definitely pretty biased since I’ve spent so much time playing USN ships and never really enjoyed the high tier Germans in randoms, but Iowa definitely favors the meta more. One thing to keep in mind though, is Iowa doesn’t play exactly like NC in terms of agility (in fact, it’s a fair bit like Bismarck in terms of speed, turning circle, and rudder shift).

FdG (and GK) are definitely close quarters ships, with some of the best secondary armaments in the game, the turtleback that is slightly more forgiving of mistakes (meaning you won’t get one shot with citadels, you’ll just take 25-40k pen damage that will still sting quite a bit), and guns that have the potential to hit hard but don’t have the accuracy to claim any sort of consistency beyond 12-15km. You’ll see plenty of people trying to snipe in them, but they need to get close to be really workable, and close quarters combat and brawling isn’t as good a fit in the current meta of high DPM and HE spam. GK isn’t a bad ship per se (ignoring the need to push in in a meta that doesn’t favor it), but it’s a big target with plenty of space to hit, so cruisers will eat you much quicker.

That being said, comfort is much more important than stats and meta, so if you’re more comfortable with the German playstyle, you’ll probably enjoy FdG more than you will Iowa. I have clanmates that just click with the German line and absolutely hate the US BBs and they’re much stronger (obviously) in ships like FdG and GK compared to NC or Monty, and then some like me who get the USN BBs and know how to play them; we can have similar performances in a game playing to our ship’s strengths, but it’s just a matter of comfort and preference. 

[3COWS]
Members
712 posts
4 hours ago, orangeandblue said:

Here is two videos of two different games played in the above ships. 

The Iowa was a fun game, but did not survive the match. 

Both had 19 point commanders and both are manual secondary builds. 

[U571]
Members
2,032 posts
13,957 battles

Have both.  Just reground the German BB line.  Fat Freddie, didn't sit as well with me the first time around.  Same with the NC.  My aim was bad too so that didn't help.  Working with others I got better.  Fat Freddie this time around has been a pleasant surprise, of course she just go buffs not too long ago too.  And is a lot more forgiving in the Armor department as been already mentioned.

NC started to sit with me after, I went back and played Colorado again.  (Every thing slows down for me in it now.)  I am way better at being in a good position.  So when I picked the NC back up, it helped. 

All that being said, pick the ship for the line you are more comfortable in.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,450 posts
20,530 battles
8 hours ago, orangeandblue said:

Iowa is better in gunnery than FDG, though FDG can reload fast.  FDG is also stupidly forgiving while it's pretty easy to Citadel Iowa / Missouri.

However, main battery is how you make your money in High Tier.  Because of that, Iowa is the better choice.

But the real question is this:  Which of the two Tier X BBs do you want more?  GK or Montana?  Both are great but I personally prefer Montana due to gunnery.  The Tier IX is almost irrelevant, because in general with High Tier Battleships, people only care about the Tier VIII and X ones, and Tier IX BBs are merely stepping stones (or obstacles to get past, depends on the POV) on the way to get the X ship.

GK's gunnery is still German BB wonky, but at least you now have 12 rifles instead of the 8 you've been dealing with for Tier VIII-IX.  You're not accurate at range, but keep throwing enough shells and you'll get hits and damage.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
2,029 posts
9,322 battles

It is all about where you want to be at T10.  As mentioned, most T9 ships are just an obstacle in the path to getting the T10. 

I don't have the Iowa, but do have the Missouri and love it, and it is basically the same ship as the Iowa.  I do quite well in it.  I did not do well in the FDG, even though I did well in the other German BBs.  I do like the GK and do well in it.  It is a lot of fun.  I can't comment on the Monty, but it is generally accepted as a pretty good BB.

• Cool 1

Members
2,161 posts
6,363 battles

I kept up with secondary memes on FdG because I didn't want to retrain the Captain and I regret it.

The few times where you can 'safely' use your secondaries to good effect are waaaaaaaay out weighed by the times you would have wanted FP, BoS, etc,.

Everyone knows you are easy pen and fire damage and you will be on fire, always, forever, so tank build is necessary.

Members
1,262 posts
15,967 battles

If you don't have a personal preference it pretty much becomes a coin toss. I did have both until my Missouri replaced the Iowa. My FdG has a full secondary build and that's the only way it beats out the USN T9s. With a full build plus signal flag you can take the secondary range out to something like 11.5 km. It's the ship I take out for all the secondary hit missions. If you enjoy BB brawling go with the Germans.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver

[OO7]
Members
5,788 posts
12,700 battles

Fdg is spotted from space, easy to hit, is on fire all the time and can't hit anything with its guns. 

I'd go iowa

• Boring 1

Members
1,336 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Fdg is spotted from space, easy to hit, is on fire all the time and can't hit anything with its guns. 

I'd go iowa

Stop shouting out FDGs good points.  There are some bad ones too! 

I have all the Tier 10 BBs with the exception of Bourgogne.  IMHO Iowa to Montana is the best choice. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,618 posts
8,430 battles
5 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I'd go iowa

^This. Plus it can only bring 4 guns to bear to the front and the rear turret angles are truly awful. Lion is the only T9 BB I've played where the aft turret is worse. 

I liked Biz and Tirp, I really don't like Freddy. It's fatter, slower and clumsier and doesn't really bring anything new to the table other than durability. Iowa is at least fast, with good gun angles and good AA although it is more fragile. 

[OO7]
Members
5,788 posts
12,700 battles
51 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

^This. Plus it can only bring 4 guns to bear to the front and the rear turret angles are truly awful. Lion is the only T9 BB I've played where the aft turret is worse. 

I liked Biz and Tirp, I really don't like Freddy. It's fatter, slower and clumsier and doesn't really bring anything new to the table other than durability. Iowa is at least fast, with good gun angles and good AA although it is more fragile. 

I was 0-7 when I tried to grind through it. I unfortunately had to play it as part of my personal challenge of getting every ship to 50% and managed to div up and do it with a 8-1 record, but absolutely hated it. I posted very mediocre (for tier 9) stats and was super unicum with those numbers. Told me a lot about the ship and its lack of capability.