Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Filth_

Please use islands for SPG class

41 comments in this topic

[-BBL-]
Members
55 posts

I truly suck at tanks but when I play SPG I can somewhat hide how bad a player I am.

Can you please add this class to Warships.

Cheers.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 3

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

Try a sniper BB if you want to SPG.

Just look for the closest map border, point, click, delete unsuspecting cruisers, farm damage and salt, rinse, repeat.

• Boring 5
  • Angry 1

Members
71 posts
961 battles

The closest thing to the SPG class in WoWS is the CV (carriers). Be wary though, CV's get nearly as much salt in Warships as SPG's do in Tanks, and there's global chat in WoWS.

• Cool 2

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
9 minutes ago, Roberto577_One said:

The closest thing to the SPG class in WoWS is the CV (carriers). Be wary though, CV's get nearly as much salt in Warships as SPG's do in Tanks, and there's global chat in WoWS.

Uhhh yeah, I don't think I'd compare carriers to SPG's. Carriers have to dodge, weave, aim, fight close range, and do it in 20 second bursts every 60 seconds. The game-play is totally different than a WoT's SPG.

If you wanna SPG... sniper BB is near identical. Takes the same amount of skill too.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 5

Members
3,932 posts
4,205 battles

Would be a neat after death feature though. Player dies, takes a cap, suddenly player controlled bastion-lite.

[RLGN]
Members
830 posts
6,359 battles

Pre rework carriers could have been VERY loosely compared to SPGs from WoT, but the comparison doesn't really hold water anymore.  Speaking of islands though I would say the closest thing to SPG gameplay now is jumping in a CL with rainbow arks and cuddling up to an island.  You can sit there safe and sound burning BBs to the waterline to farm damage while counting on your team to impact the success of the flank and outcome of the game.

[_-_]
Members
2,621 posts
7,511 battles
10 hours ago, FilthyScrub said:

I truly suck at tanks but when I play SPG I can somewhat hide how bad a player I am.

Cheers.

We call them CV's. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLFC]
Members
617 posts
22,345 battles
10 hours ago, FilthyScrub said:

Get yourself an Atlanta. Or any of the American cruisers which tend to have low velocity main armament resulting in high shell arcs.

Camp behind an island.

Rain down a stream of HE shells on your enemy.

Enjoy.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,412 posts
4,847 battles

Obvious troll is obvious......  

However Kudos to OP for coming up with the most original stealth Anti-CV post in months...  +1    

• Boring 4

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
12 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Obvious troll is obvious......  

However Kudos to OP for coming up with the most original stealth Anti-CV post in months...  +1    

Lol... except he (and others) can't see the obvious similarities between a NooBB with a spotting plane with it's top-down point, click, delete game-play...

• Boring 4

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
9,050 battles

SPG in WoT can comfortably be played with one hand.  CV?  Not so much.  My best game in 10k+ WoT games was an 11 kill win in my lefh18b2 so if that option existed in WoWS I would be all over it!

[V-MF]
Members
84 posts
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

We call them CV's. :Smile_teethhappy:

WG calls them CV's. A large segment of players have some rather creative NSFW epithets for them, as witnessed in game chat, Reddit, and these forums.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles

Ignore people claiming it's carriers.

The closest thing to an SPG in this game is a battleship. Particularly the IJN who focus on long range and bigger guns.

• Boring 3

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
9,050 battles
17 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The closest thing to an SPG in this game is a battleship. Particularly the IJN who focus on long range and bigger guns.

This!

Spawn Yamato

Click S

Deploy Spotter Plane

Enjoy SPG play!!!

Need to hurry up and finish my IJN BB grind!

• Boring 1

[XG]
Members
169 posts
28 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Ignore people claiming carriers are anything but artillery.

Carriers farm easy-peasy damage at long range at no risk to their hull, and can't be arsed with the finer points of the game like positioning, evasion, angling, or line of sight.

Edited by Hookie_Bell
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Hookie_Bell said:

Carriers farm easy-peasy damage at long range at no risk to their hull, and can't be arsed with the finer points of the game like positioning, evasion, angling, or line of sight.

Can you shoot down shells fired by SPGs in World of Tanks?

I admit I never played it but I didn't realize it was that different from the STuG in WThunder.

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,760 posts
9,171 battles
12 hours ago, FilthyScrub said:

Cheers.

try any battleship, sit at the back of the map, and press fire.

In WOWS, ships such as Yamato deal the very long range super accurate very high skeel shell dmg.

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
9,050 battles
57 minutes ago, Hookie_Bell said:

You are dead wrong.  Arty in WoT can sit in spawn, totally oblivious to anything that's happening in game other than the single target they're focusing on. 

Yamato in WoWS can do exactly the same thing.  Two hands not required to play.

Even trying to be braindead as possible,  you still have to be more engaged as a CV.

[NWNG]
Members
85 posts
677 battles

I never played WoTs so I had no idea what an SPG was, so was very confused. Did a quick search (like any responsible person should), if I gathered the information correctly: Self-Propelled Gun.

On a Technicality, that's every ship in the game, except CV. Considering the fact, the smallest diameter gun I have found for an SPG is 105mm... Don't hurt me.

On a more serious note, after doing the research, I have come to the conclusion that The following quote is the most accurate comparison to SPGs from WoTs, in terms of play style:

1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

[_-_]
Members
2,621 posts
7,511 battles
39 minutes ago, CelestialSwan said:

I never played WoTs so I had no idea what an SPG was, so was very confused. Did a quick search (like any responsible person should), if I gathered the information correctly: Self-Propelled Gun.

On a Technicality, that's every ship in the game, except CV. Considering the fact, the smallest diameter gun I have found for an SPG is 105mm... Don't hurt me.

On a more serious note, after doing the research, I have come to the conclusion that The following quote is the most accurate comparison to SPGs from WoTs, in terms of play style:

75/76 mm howitzers were found on a lot of SPG's, like the StuG III A-E models, the Soviet Su-76 Suka, and early US Army/Marine gun motor carriages.

The diffrence in-game is one of direct vs indirect fire in most cases. Aside from the high-arc gunboats, most DD, BB, and CA/CL engage in direct fire, more like a tank. CV's are all indirect*, like an SPG (but actually more like off-map aviation assets).

*Of course the Graf Zeppelin's secondaries are a notable exception.

• Cool 2

[NWNG]
Members
85 posts
677 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

75/76 mm howitzers were found on a lot of SPG's, like the StuG III A-E models, the Soviet Su-76 Suka, and early US Army/Marine gun motor carriages.

The diffrence in-game is one of direct vs indirect fire in most cases. Aside from the high-arc gunboats, most DD, BB, and CA/CL engage in direct fire, more like a tank. CV's are all indirect*, like an SPG (but actually more like off-map aviation assets).

Oh cool. Not afraid to admit my search wasn't thorough, just enough to get me an idea of what is being talked about. If I did a more thorough search, I probably would've found the smallest SPG bore diameter myself. So thank you for that information.

The biggest difference between CVs and SPGs, is that the aircraft can be shot down, while shells from SPGs cannot. CVs are also able to spot for everyone, while SPGs must rely on the team to do the spotting, or have a good eye to see where shells are being fired from.

CVs also don't have the alpha strike like SPGs do, while battleships do (able to delete a cruiser in a single volley... I've done that myself). Battleships are also capable of indirect fire, and capable of being further away from the action than CCs and DDs.

So while CVs are more akin to SPGs in that they have high survivability (CV probably being higher than SPG, though I'm not sure, I don't play WoT), while CVs have spotting potential that SPGs do not. Battleships are Akin to SPGs in that they both have Alpha Strike, and most likely have similar survivability stats (again speculating, because WoT plays much differently than WoWS). All three mentioned in this paragraph, have indirect fire capability (ignoring the fact that you play the aircraft not the ship, thus giving you direct fire with CVs). I chose to focus on the Alpha Strike rather than survivability, in the comparison.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles
15 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Everything that uses guns in this game is indirect fire. How do you know? Shell arcs. Everything that can shoot over an island is an indirect fire weapon.

The only direct-fire weapons we have in this game are torpedoes. Because they need a clear line of sight to hit the target.

Bombs are debatable. But ship artillery is the same as any other artillery-- indirect, arcing/parabolic attacks.

• Boring 1

[_-_]
Members
2,621 posts
7,511 battles
24 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Everything that uses guns in this game is indirect fire. How do you know? Shell arcs. Everything that can shoot over an island is an indirect fire weapon.

The only direct-fire weapons we have in this game are torpedoes. Because they need a clear line of sight to hit the target.

Bombs are debatable. But ship artillery is the same as any other artillery-- indirect, arcing/parabolic attacks.

You don't understand the meaning of direct fire. All projectiles, from Daisy BBs to howitzers, follow a ballistic arc. Gravity, the wind, and the earth's rotation are all things.

Direct fire means line of sight to target. You can see what you're shooting.

Over-island or behind smoke etc., yes, that's indirect. Everything else is direct fire.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this