Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NippleSnipplez

How to tell radar ranges.

15 comments in this topic

[LDQ]
Members
152 posts
716 battles

So I've just picked up the Chapayev in the Russian light cruiser line and I'm struggling to understand when I should be using my radar. I know that if a DD is most likely spotting my teammates/me then using radar to determine it's location is a good idea, and I understand that when we are being fired at from smoke then it's a good idea to pop the radar, but a lot of the time I don't know if that smoke cloud is within range of me for my radar to be effective. From what the wiki tells me Chapayev's radar has a range of 11.7km, how do other players tell if a smoked up DD is within range of radar?

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

Radar ranges are generally as follows (they were standardized in February-ish):

-USN Heavy Cruisers, UK Light Cruisers: 10km

-USN Light cruisers: 9km

-Russian Radar: 12km.

-Special Snowflake Radars: T7 radar premiums usually have 8.5km range. 

In order to tell how far away a smoke cloud is, zoom in on it with your binocular view; there's a range indicator to right right of your crossheir.

[HSD]
Members
516 posts
11,043 battles

You can enable a radar range circle on the minimap display, in conjunction with display last known spotted position it allows for educated guessing.

Secondly if the DD is smoked up and you have strong reason to believe it is still in there zoom in, aim your guns at the back of the smoke and observe the range displayed by the crosshairs.

Edit: As for caps the simplest way is to simply cover the entire cap with the radar and use it upon sign of an enemy in it. Though there are risks related to how close this can sometimes put you in regards to some caps.

Edited by Meatshield_No13

Members
2,914 posts
10,771 battles

As others have said, it's displayed where your aiming by your crosshair.

There are some things you may need consider before you hit the radar button though. Smart DD players will typically drive out of radar range if he sees you. Even more experienced DD players may not even have to have spotted. Theyll take into consideration things like common places radar cruisers sit, if they have a CV that initially spots the flank you start on they may play more defensively. 

I will usually wait till I know for sure I can get the max salvos off on the DD before I pop it. If it's low health though or on the other side of some terrain, I may pop it for a teammate.  

If someone asks me to pop it, I usually will oblige. Even if it doesnt make sense to me, just for "teamwork". 

Edit: Maybe Ill expand a bit more on how I effectively use radar in randoms solo, but I just at some chinese food and falling into a food coma. Maybe later.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
340 posts
11,418 battles
5 minutes ago, ThatsAPaladin said:

Radar ranges are generally as follows (they were standardized in February-ish):

-USN Heavy Cruisers, UK Light Cruisers: 10km

-USN Light cruisers: 9km

-Russian Radar: 12km.

-Special Snowflake Radars: T7 radar premiums usually have 8.5km range. 

In order to tell how far away a smoke cloud is, zoom in on it with your binocular view; there's a range indicator to right right of your crossheir.

All very good info, I would add a few things:

-Missouri has special 9.5 km radar

-Salem has 8.5 km radar

-Indianapolis has 10 km radar

-all DDs, from Black to Pan-Asia T8-10, has 7.5 km radar

Also, note that with full concealment build, Chappy has ~10.5 km detection, but 12km radar, so if you are detected when not firing your guns, you can immediately use radar and detect the dd spotting you.

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles

You have to calculate arc length each time, and every time you move you have to recalculate it. This is one of the challenges of WOWS.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,398 posts
16,832 battles
2 hours ago, NippleSnipplez said:

So I've just picked up the Chapayev in the Russian light cruiser line and I'm struggling to understand when I should be using my radar. I know that if a DD is most likely spotting my teammates/me then using radar to determine it's location is a good idea, and I understand that when we are being fired at from smoke then it's a good idea to pop the radar, but a lot of the time I don't know if that smoke cloud is within range of me for my radar to be effective. From what the wiki tells me Chapayev's radar has a range of 11.7km, how do other players tell if a smoked up DD is within range of radar?

You should have spotted the DD before he smoked or have a sense of distances without going to the minimap - he's not likely going to sit in smoke waiting for you anyways

If he wasn't spotted, he's probably sitting outside your range and will remain in smoke only so long as he knows he's safe - you can see his location by origin of shots fired

Try to coordinate your radar with other ships … you likely would go first since you have the greatest range unless another radar ship is further ahead 

You can hunt a DD or sanitize an area/cap pretty effectively operating in pairs - 20 sec radar alone is not normally enough to kill a DD 

Most times you're forcing a DD out of an area and he'll know where are, but occasionally they screw up and get too close

Edited by Commander_367

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

You can also enable on the minimap a radius display around your ship of your radar display. Same with AA guns, Hydro and secondaries along with primary armaments.

[PVE]
Members
3,916 posts
22,121 battles
4 hours ago, NippleSnipplez said:

...but a lot of the time I don't know if that smoke cloud is within range of me for my radar to be effective...how do other players tell if a smoked up DD is within range of radar?

Just like the circles for main battery, torp ranges & detection there's alternate circles you can set for radar (as well as hydro/AA/& 2ndaries).

In battle you have to set these things individually for each ship as each ship had different options to choose from.

At the right top of the mini map there is a little gear icon...click on it in any ship & there's a list of different options depending on what's available for that ship.

Beware that choosing too many at once can clutter up your mini map & make it hard to tell which ones which sometimes.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLF2]
Members
4,398 posts
16,832 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Just like the circles for main battery, torp ranges & detection there's alternate circles you can set for radar (as well as hydro/AA/& 2ndaries).

In battle you have to set these things individually for each ship as each ship had different options to choose from.

At the right top of the mini map there is a little gear icon...click on it in any ship & there's a list of different options depending on what's available for that ship.

Beware that choosing too many at once can clutter up your mini map & make it hard to tell which ones which sometimes.

The problem is a smoke cloud doesn't show up on minimap … 

It's better to memorize distances and use the reticle 

[CNO]
Members
5,189 posts
16,310 battles

I always have my radar range ring on the mini-map.  I also  have "last spotted" icons.  If the DD is spotted before he smokes up, then you can use your radar range ring and the last spotted icon together to get a good read.  If the DD  just smoked up, and you can get that icon inside your radar ring, you can light him up.  

My only caution on this is the last spotted icon is a diminishing asset.  So you need to factor in how fresh it is.  If the DD just smoked up, then he won't be far, and that's a good indicator.  If the DD was headed in your direction and you were headed in his direction, then you can factor in the closure rates and the ability of the DD to open the range (i.e., the last spot icon has a longer life).  If the DD was perpendicular (or even pointed away from you), then he has often turned away to extend...in this case, you might hold off.

Continue to close on the smoke, and if you get spotted, sometimes that's the best time to pop it.  Good DD captains might run parallel out of smoke at the max spot range (which is more than your radar range), but if you are full speed on the attack, sometimes you will get radar overlap before he can turn away and extend.  This works best when the DD is the only ship that spots you.  If he sees you closing, he'll often use smoke to run away and hope you burn a radar for nothing.

Although you can still catch DDs out in the open (that can smoke), most of your good DD captains know how to use terrain as either the primary or backup protection.  Yes...radar pens terrain...but if you can't get a firing solution, all you have is SA without shells on target.  Sometimes worth it depending on the situation, but you really want to use radar to put damage on target in most instances.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,019 posts
8,071 battles
11 hours ago, NippleSnipplez said:

From what the wiki tells me Chapayev's radar has a range of 11.7km, how do other players tell if a smoked up DD is within range of radar?

you got step 1 down, understanding your range. 

understanding the range of the red ship requires "alternative interface mode" you can activate this mode by pressing ALT key, however, I recommend that you permanently turn on the mode in the settings.   the extra information that will display includes the distance to target. 

the mini-map is also useful, (in case you do not know, the settings are ship and need to be set within battle.) you can activate your mouse mid battle using the CTRL key. 

using a combination of alternative mode, map identifiers and "last know position" on the mini-map, can help you determine if a red is within Radar range. 

Happy hunting. 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,398 posts
16,832 battles
6 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I always have my radar range ring on the mini-map.  I also  have "last spotted" icons.  If the DD is spotted before he smokes up, then you can use your radar range ring and the last spotted icon together to get a good read.  If the DD  just smoked up, and you can get that icon inside your radar ring, you can light him up.  

My only caution on this is the last spotted icon is a diminishing asset.  So you need to factor in how fresh it is.  If the DD just smoked up, then he won't be far, and that's a good indicator.  If the DD was headed in your direction and you were headed in his direction, then you can factor in the closure rates and the ability of the DD to open the range (i.e., the last spot icon has a longer life).  If the DD was perpendicular (or even pointed away from you), then he has often turned away to extend...in this case, you might hold off.

Continue to close on the smoke, and if you get spotted, sometimes that's the best time to pop it.  Good DD captains might run parallel out of smoke at the max spot range (which is more than your radar range), but if you are full speed on the attack, sometimes you will get radar overlap before he can turn away and extend.  This works best when the DD is the only ship that spots you.  If he sees you closing, he'll often use smoke to run away and hope you burn a radar for nothing.

Although you can still catch DDs out in the open (that can smoke), most of your good DD captains know how to use terrain as either the primary or backup protection.  Yes...radar pens terrain...but if you can't get a firing solution, all you have is SA without shells on target.  Sometimes worth it depending on the situation, but you really want to use radar to put damage on target in most instances.

I wouldn't assume most DD captains are stupid … the ones that remain are likely experienced with radar and very wary of being spotted by planes 

If the OP wants to charge into smoke at speed (high risk), he'd best have his eyes on the target and reticle to gather as much real-time information as possible … 

Momentarily spotting the DD, observing angle and speed, changes in the shape of the smoke cloud and whether or not the DD is firing his guns are things you don't want to miss

You also need to dodge incoming torps and choose your own firing angles - that's a lot to do in a short space of time :)

Having a backup radar or even planes overhead would be ideal since his radar is only good for 20 seconds

The best way to kill a DD is to corral them into areas where they have only 1 or 2 escapes (low risk) … inevitably, the kill will come after the DD expends his consumables and fires torps

Finally, if escape is not an option … most DDs will happily trade their ship for a larger one and he can circle back on you faster than your turrets can track him

Better a scared DD on the run than a suicidal DD lying in wait :)

Edited by Commander_367

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,546 posts
3,895 battles

Steps to using Radar effectively:

1- Hide behind an island in a position where your radar range covers the entire cap circle

2- Wait for cap circle to start changing colors

3- Alert your team

4- Push button

5- Magical radio waves penetrate solid rock and perfectly render the unsuspecting destroyer

6- Watch his game be ruined while you laugh in perfect safety

Sign in to follow this