You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Clan Brawl: Utter Disaster. 24 hours later, where is the response?

135 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles

We've had server issues, we've had nights when clan battles weren't working for anybody for whatever reasons, we've had buggy patches, and all that.  To some extent that kind of thing is unavoidable for a constantly developing game.

Saturday night's clan battles were a failure on a level that, as far as I know, is unprecedented in WoWS history.  The start time being wrong?  Unfortunately that's the sort of error that we've come to expect, and nothing too out of the ordinary. 

But the second problem - the inexplicable infinite queue times experienced by many (but not all) clans - is the real disaster.  It's one thing to have an event go off wrong.  To have an event more or less working, but in such a way that a significant number of people are locked out of participation through no fault of their own?  A competitive event with individual and clan rewards?  It demands an apology, an explanation - and an immediate one at that.  I'd say it demands compensation as well but given WG's track record I wouldn't hold my breath there.

Mods, Admins, where are you?  You need to show up and let us know what the hell happened, and you need to do it 24 hours ago. 

Edited by Brhinosaurus
typo in title
  • Cool 12
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 5
  • Angry 1

Members
1,072 posts

They may still be sorting it out.  It's not a subscription game, and it's the weekend in Russia.  You can scream louder, but I doubt anyone is really listening.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[SAA]
Members
406 posts
5,363 battles

Didn't realize there were major issues.

Except for one really annoying thing.  My team got the Shatter Map in close to half the battles and even 4 times in row at one point.  Since our ship line up was at a disadvantage in that map,  by the 10th time we had that map again I was screaming at my screen, "You gotta be kidding me...."

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
5 minutes ago, agm114r said:

They may still be sorting it out.  It's not a subscription game, and it's the weekend in Russia.  You can scream louder, but I doubt anyone is really listening.

When we had the server weirdness this morning, we got action and a response within an hour:

So clearly people are on the clock.  Clan brawls?  Not so much as a "we're looking into it".

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

Didn't realize there were major issues.

Several clans were unable to play at all.  The queues just timed up and up.  People tried all the tricks - reentering the queue, reforming the division, restarting the client.  Nothing.  I don't know what percentage of people were able to play and what weren't, but there were definitely several clans that couldn't.

• Cool 1

[SAA]
Members
406 posts
5,363 battles
4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Several clans were unable to play at all.  The queues just timed up and up.  People tried all the tricks - reentering the queue, reforming the division, restarting the client.  Nothing.  I don't know what percentage of people were able to play and what weren't, but there were definitely several clans that couldn't.

In that case they should give you guys the full rewards.  It's not like it was a bunch anyway.

[BS]
Members
1,848 posts
9,420 battles
46 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

We've had server issues, we've had nights when clan battles weren't working for anybody for whatever reasons, we've had buggy patches, and all that.  To some extent that kind of thing is unavoidable for a constantly developing game.

Saturday night's clan battles were a failure on a level that, as far as I know, is unprecedented in WoWS history.  The start time being wrong?  Unfortunately that's the sort of error that we've come to expect, and nothing too out of the ordinary. 

But the second problem - the inexplicable infinite queue times experienced by many (but not all) clans - is the real disaster.  It's one thing to have an event go off wrong.  To have an event more or less working, but in such a way that a significant number of people are locked out of participation through no fault of their own?  A competitive event with individual and clan rewards?  It demands an apology, an explanation - and an immediate one at that.  I'd say it demands compensation as well but given WG's track record I wouldn't hold my breath there.

Mods, Admins, where are you?  You need to show up and let us know what the hell happened, and you need to do it 24 hours ago. 

Whinosaurus

jk, yeah... it's [edited].

• Cool 3

[GWG]
Members
6,503 posts

I think Clan Brawl should be Tier 8 CVs ONLY..  As in 3 CVs against 3 CVs.

May the best secondary armament win.  I'm wagering on either Kaga (8") or Graf Zeppelin.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles

I'm sure WG is scrambling everything they have on this huge issue.

tenor.gif

But seriously i wouldn't expect to see anything until tomorrow. Business hours.

Edited by xalmgrey

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,566 battles

They never gave any compensation for the cross-realm clan battles test, when all of NA were unable to play.  I wouldn't hold my breath for them to compensate a small subset of players who had problems this time. 

• Cool 2

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
15 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

They never gave any compensation for the cross-realm clan battles test, when all of NA were unable to play.  I wouldn't hold my breath for them to compensate a small subset of players who had problems this time. 

I had forgotten about the cross server testing failure. I guess screwing over the entire north American server is worse than screwing over some of it. 

As I said at the start, compensation would be reasonable but the precedent is don't count on it. Mostly I want an explanation for what exactly happened and assurance that they'll straighten it out before the next one. 

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Members
5,788 posts
12,700 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I had forgotten about the cross server testing failure. I guess screwing over the entire north American server is worse than screwing over some of it. 

As I said at the start, compensation would be reasonable but the precedent is don't count on it. Mostly I want an explanation for what exactly happened and assurance that they'll straighten it out before the next one. 

I am completely expecting them to ignore it. Mods have been around the forums and such in the past 24 hours. They obviously know about it, they are just choosing to ignore it. It's absolutely pathetic.

• Boring 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
6 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

You do realize that the developers have lives too? It's a 9-5 job somewhat? They get weekends off? Their presence on the forums will be diminished on weekends? Let the poor people have a day off will ya? :)

I have no idea what you're talking about. Calling it "unprecedented" , "disaster" , and demanding an "immediate apology" is being a little overly dramatic, don't you think? You need to have heart and develop a thick skin.

I play on the same server as you and we had about 28 games played between 3 players alone. The Clan Brawl MM seems to be working just fine from what I saw...

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 10

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
3 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

You do realize that the developers have lives too? It's a 9-5 job somewhat? They get weekends off? Their presence on the forums will be diminished on weekends? Let the poor people have a day off will ya? :)

I work for a small company with about 25 employees, effectively 1.5 of which are the IT department (I'm the half).  We work normal business hours but you best believe if the network goes down over the weekend somebody is going in to deal with it though.  Given the size of the player base, WG absolutely has a weekend crew and an overnight crew.  As I said, someone was around to restart the servers early on Sunday.

3 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Calling it "unprecedented" , "disaster" , and demanding an "immediate apology" is being a little overly dramatic, don't you think? You need to have heart and develop a thick skin.

I play on the same server as you and we had about 28 games played between 3 players alone. The Clan Brawl MM seems to be working just fine from what I saw...

So I should calm down, because it was working just fine for you?  Okay then.  Next event let's switch.  My clan will do the event to its fullest and you can sit in a queue for two hours before you give up.  Then we can meet back up here and I can tell you to lighten up.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles

Don't respond to it, dude.

Sucks so many people had trouble with clan brawls, I'm certain wg will do nothing in response.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I work for a small company with about 25 employees, effectively 1.5 of which are the IT department (I'm the half).  We work normal business hours but you best believe if the network goes down over the weekend somebody is going in to deal with it though.  Given the size of the player base, WG absolutely has a weekend crew and an overnight crew.  As I said, someone was around to restart the servers early on Sunday.

So I should calm down, because it was working just fine for you?  Okay then.  Next event let's switch.  My clan will do the event to its fullest and you can sit in a queue for two hours before you give up.  Then we can meet back up here and I can tell you to lighten up.

That means nothing... I have a BA in CIS... I work in the same industry... it doesn't mean the people assigned to public relations in the NA forums are on shift. You're posting a rant late on a Sunday demanding customer service like it's McDonalds. I specifically recall seeing a post from Femenenly stating that they get weekends off. You can't just snap your fingers and expect people jump to your beckon call.

Sure! Let's switch! We didn't experience any outages of any sort. Right now I have half an inclination to not even believe you considering we're on the same server and our experience was flawless. So your claims it was a "disaster" obviously were a bit of an exaggeration as it was not a widespread issue experienced server wide.

Nonetheless... I wouldn't be so worked up over a video-game that I'd get borderline abusive towards developers over a self perceived right to have clan battles in a F2P game like it was pre-ordained by God himself. Relax... it's a video game...

You might wanna consider seeking help if a mere outage in a video game gets you so worked up you actually experience anger. It kinda suggests there's a problem. The sky isn't falling...

The staff will be nice and tight lipped. I'm not staff. I can tell you you're acting like a spoiled Brat no problem.. :)

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Boring 5

[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
1,088 posts
17,531 battles
3 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Sure! Let's switch! We didn't experience any outages of any sort. Right now I have half an inclination to not even believe you considering we're on the same server and our experience was flawless.

tB7FJHb.png

This was an issue experienced by multiple clans on multiple servers. It does not get worse than a bug that literally does not allow you to play the game. This was reflected by their extremely quick response to random battles being broken (on the weekend). Clan brawls? Not even an acknowledgement that they know about it. Not a single word of communication about a bug which prevented multiple clans from being able to participate at all. I think you would be pretty mad too if you had to sit and stare at a queue timer while most of the rest of the server is playing.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
1 minute ago, Gaishu_Isshoku said:

tB7FJHb.png

This was an issue experienced by multiple clans on multiple servers. It does not get worse than a bug that literally does not allow you to play the game. This was reflected by their extremely quick response to random battles being broken (on the weekend). Clan brawls? Not even an acknowledgement that they know about it. Not a single word of communication about a bug which prevented multiple clans from being able to participate at all. I think you would be pretty mad too if you had to sit and stare at a queue timer while most of the rest of the server is playing.

Nonetheless... it obviously was not a widespread outage.

We play on NA. We played 28 battles without one hiccup.

Even if the servers had an issue... I sure as heck would not get so angry about it that I'm belligerent to WG staff over it. It's not like it happened on purpose...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 6

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles

And here's the one from my clan.

unknown.png

This particular div threw in the towel at around 110 minutes.  Other people had shorter queues because they would try exiting and coming back, or restarting their clients, etc.

Edited by Brhinosaurus

[CMFRT]
Members
10,432 posts

What I'm seeing in this thread...

"I didn't have a problem, so no one else had a real problem, and anyone who says they did is a whiner and deserves nothing but derision." 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Members
1,728 posts
12,457 battles

I find it amusing that these “server mishaps” and WG subsequently ignoring it still surprises you... 

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
4 minutes ago, JustAdapt said:

I find it amusing that these “server mishaps” and WG subsequently ignoring it still surprises you... 

This is kind of a new one though, isn't it?  I mean yeah if the whole server went down, or if NOBODY could enter a battle, we're used to that.  But the fact that some clans could battle and some couldn't... what was it?  Was it certain ships?  Was MM trying and failing to do some kind of skill-based matching?  Fair questions to ask.

[WOLFG]
Members
7,004 posts
5,011 battles
4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

This is kind of a new one though, isn't it?  I mean yeah if the whole server went down, or if NOBODY could enter a battle, we're used to that.  But the fact that some clans could battle and some couldn't... what was it?  Was it certain ships?  Was MM trying and failing to do some kind of skill-based matching?  Fair questions to ask.

I wondered the same thing (didn't participate).  Is there some sort of MM division like there can be in CB?

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
16 minutes ago, JustAdapt said:

Would you please help me understand the meaning of an ellipsis in this particular context? Is there some continued unwritten message here? Thanks.

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I wondered the same thing (didn't participate).  Is there some sort of MM division like there can be in CB?

On the surface, no.  There's not separate leagues or anything, and their announcement doesn't say anything about it.  The ranking is based on number of victories, so a clan that had 10 wins and 20 losses would have ended ranked higher than a clan that had 9 wins and 1 loss.

Behind the scenes we can't know what it was doing unless they tell us.  For those who were able to participate: Did it seem like you were mostly getting matched up against teams with similar abilities to yourselves?  Or was it all over the place, full range from the best to the worst players?