You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Waxing_Gibbous

Bots are back.

57 comments in this topic

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,754 posts
9,171 battles

had a border humping Benham bot earlier, they do seem to prefer the reward ships for their botting, also often members of (bot?) clans.

[NSC]
Members
1,744 posts
29 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

we had two of these guys in my last game. 189 xp. in his Azuma......

NWevirU.png

All of the tier 9s this guy has have been purchasable directly for cash.

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,754 posts
9,171 battles
8 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

All of the tier 9s this guy has have been purchasable directly for cash.

I don't understand this, such a waste of time and money.

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,754 posts
9,171 battles
8 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Did any of you bother to report them in a support ticket?

look; if WOWS own anti-cheat filters and teams are incapable of identifying a bot/cheat of this scale and crude behaviour, I doubt a "ticket" would change much. I mean, you'd think it fairly easy, to identify active bot accounts without tickets. WG has the data.

Members
1,279 posts
2,399 battles
6 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I don't understand this, such a waste of time and money.

Some people are just that lazy. My guess is if they are already spending that much money spending a bit more on converting the exp generated by the 1000s of botted games isnt a big stretch.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles
Just now, LoveBote said:

I doubt a "ticket" would change much.

Then don't bother, just turn a blind eye and condone the cheating.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles
1 minute ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Some people are just that lazy

No some people are just cheating and need to have their accounts deleted.

@Bualar

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,754 posts
9,171 battles
7 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

speaking up on the forum, is not turning a blind eye, it is quite the opposite. It is bringing this problem to public attention.

The OP is right, there is a recent surge in botting at higher tiers. I and I'm sure others do use the in game reporting function. But, when a bot has 400+ battles, in reward and free xp ships, with a -35%wr in all ships, then it shouldn't require reports, or tickets, it should be automatically flagged in WG offices.

When an account, on entering battle, turns 180% and heads to the border, then, proceeds to follow the border all the way around the map, until the match ends or until sunk, should trigger an automatic investigation, whether reported or not reported. Surely WG has the tools to detect this pattern of behaviour?

[WORX]
Members
6,356 posts
16,150 battles
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Its not that Mudd.... The bar for staff to even begin an investigation is extremely high and the evidence to ban them is extremely hard to detect...

Even in the forums you accuse someone of aim-botting and they give that guy the "benefit" of the doubt... SO in summery

1. There is just no way for everyone to detect and to be sure someone is cheating
  2. When you do accuse, what evidence is conclusive?
  3. The bar of starting an investigation by staff is extremely high..

Based on the above points Mudd, what would you recommend ?

[PVE]
Members
1,441 posts
12,858 battles

Fixing the bot problem doesn't make WG money plus takes up room on the spreadsheet that could be used to justify releasing more OP ships.

Another thing: As you can see in the example, allowing botting does make WG money. There's at least 240 bucks in premiums there. The data doesn't show how much those bots ruin the fun for everyone. 

Edited by Rabbitt81

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Based on the above points Mudd, what would you recommend ?

If one goes to the trouble to post on the forum then one needs to go to the trouble to make a support ticket with the replay and let WG sort it out. Their automated system is to detect those using botting programs but not to detect players that just set a course and speed and then do nothing.

Using a botting program is cheating and so is the other!

REPORT THEM WITH THE REPLAY!

• Boring 1

Members
846 posts
3,928 battles

And there my brain goes again.  As soon as I read the OP's post title and Thin Lizzy's "The Bots are Back in Town" got stuck in my head.  Thinking a support ticket was a good idea, I called the Doc's office about it and they're sending over a couple of "very nice technicians".  I don't really know why they felt the cops were necessary...

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,622 posts
2 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

If one goes to the trouble to post on the forum then one needs to go to the trouble to make a support ticket with the replay and let WG sort it out. Their automated system is to detect those using botting programs but not to detect players that just set a course and speed and then do nothing.

Using a botting program is cheating and so is the other!

REPORT THEM WITH THE REPLAY!

The thing is, there is absolutely nothing stopping someone from joining a match, setting throttle to full ahead, hitting an slavo or two and then alt tabbing out or watching TV for a while.

Is it pretty pointless?  Absolutely, it's a waste of time as far as I am concerned, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a player sitting behind a keyboard doing it.

Is it wrong to ban that player?  Yes.  There isn't a rule that says a player must do X damage per game or get banned.

This is what WG is dealing with.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles
11 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I and I'm sure others do use the in game reporting function.

That does nothing but reduce Karma. A support ticket with the replay will at least get looked at and the more often a name is mentioned the sooner the offender will be done away with.

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,754 posts
9,171 battles

for those in doubt, what a bot looks like, and why we are amazed they are so hard to detect and ban, this is a realistic example of bot behaviour (I had one tonight doing just this)

bot.thumb.png.97ce0ea9053ca872e0f08c6a7063d191.png

Just now, Burnsy said:

Is it pretty pointless?  Absolutely, it's a waste of time as far as I am concerned, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a player sitting behind a keyboard doing it.

see my illustration.

[A-D-F]
5,622 posts
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

for those in doubt, what a bot looks like, and why we are amazed they are so hard to detect and ban, this is a realistic example of bot behaviour (I had one tonight doing just this)

see my illustration.

I get it, but WG can't start banning people for doing dumb things.  That sets a VERY dangerous precedent.  They have to be SURE, there isn't a player sitting at the keyboard doing it.  That is not an easy thing to be absolutely sure of.

Any of us could do what you have in the illustration, it would be dumb, but that doesn't mean the account is using a bot.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Is it wrong to ban that player?

No it is not. Cheating is cheating and deserves penalties be applied when properly reported.

Members
2,884 posts
10,650 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

see my illustration.

Speculatively, this is often how they are programmed. At least the few encounters I have suspected bots. 

[A-D-F]
5,622 posts
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

No it is not. Cheating is cheating and deserves penalties be applied when properly reported.

Playing poorly and making poor decisions, is not cheating mudd.  This distinction is both very important and also makes the dealing with the situation difficult.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles

I get it, but WG can't start banning people for doing dumb things.

It isn't dumb things. It is an intentional act of cheating.

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,754 posts
9,171 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

but WG can't start banning people for doing dumb things. 

this isn't "dumb", this isn't occasional bad play, this is systematic every match exactly the same routine/pattern. There is no risk of banning players who are learning the game, such players do not have rigid movement patterns, .they do not display zero progress, they do not play 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Players who are bad at the game, do show improvement, variation, they do have good matches and bad, in short, the fact they are human is quite evident.

I understand your fears, but they are misplaced.

[PN]
Beta Testers
8,126 posts
19,912 battles

Playing poorly and making poor decisions, is not cheating mudd.  This distinction is both very important and also makes the dealing with the situation difficult.

Then send a support ticket with the replay and let WG decide.