You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Soggytacoos

What the hell is smolensk supposed to be?

18 comments in this topic

[TRIGR]
Members
39 posts
3,437 battles

Smolensk is overpowered and needs to be nerfed. It has way too much range, its fire rate is ridiculous, its very hard to citadel, and the amount of shells that pen is just stupid. What was the goal of the Smolensk? to loose players? I was playing in alaska with ap loaded and shot at a full broadside Smolensk at 8km. I got 9 overpens and not a single citadel???? wth is the deal with smolensk??? Can this please get some attention and stop ignoring the issue wargaming?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
141 posts
7,879 battles
18 hours ago, Soggytacoos said:

[angry] its very hard to citadel, and the amount of shells that pen is just stupid. [very angry] I was playing in alaska with ap loaded and shot at a full broadside Smolensk at 8km. I got 9 overpens and not a single citadel???? wth is the deal with smolensk??? Can this please get some attention and stop ignoring the issue wargaming?

Maybe it will become more obvious if I paraphrase. "I fired large 305mm AP at the broadside of a lightly armored (100mm) cruiser at close range and every hit overpenetrated. Why?"

In non-technical words, overpenetrations occur when you shoot AP that is very much too heavy for the target. An overpenetration means that the shell punched a clean hole through the ship before it blew up. It worked like an old-style solid cannonball rather than an explosive shell. This is not going to explode any part of the ship, not even the citadel.
You can see the same mechanic if you use a battleship and fire AP at destroyers.

Wargaming explains it in the wiki and there's even a Youtube video. There are also forum discussions about overpenetration and the differences between Armor Piercing and High Explosive shot.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TOG]
Members
3 posts
16,005 battles

Easy way to delete one in my mogidor, come up behind isle his guns pointed other way about 7 k broadside, launched torps, hit reload boost and put like 12 cits into him and gone before torps even got there, easy

[ONAVY]
Members
6 posts
3,664 battles
On 9/22/2019 at 3:57 PM, Soggytacoos said:

Smolensk is overpowered and needs to be nerfed. It has way too much range, its fire rate is ridiculous, its very hard to citadel, and the amount of shells that pen is just stupid. What was the goal of the Smolensk? to loose players? I was playing in alaska with ap loaded and shot at a full broadside Smolensk at 8km. I got 9 overpens and not a single citadel???? wth is the deal with smolensk??? Can this please get some attention and stop ignoring the issue wargaming?

They're abot to introduce a new sucessor:

FB_IMG_1571959774673.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,673 posts

The only way to nerf it is to over-saturate the game with it to the point WG recognizes that the ship is a problem. If it was a very rare acquire, like Colbert or Ohio, nobody would bat an eye... but with everyone and their dog being able to get one for coal... THAT is where the biggest problem lies.
Once the game is literally nothing but Smolensks, WG will have to decide; nerf or increase rarity

[TOG]
Members
4,051 posts
21,680 battles
6 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

The only way to nerf it is to over-saturate the game with it to the point WG recognizes that the ship is a problem. If it was a very rare acquire, like Colbert or Ohio, nobody would bat an eye... but with everyone and their dog being able to get one for coal... THAT is where the biggest problem lies.
Once the game is literally nothing but Smolensks, WG will have to decide; nerf or increase rarity

That's the issue. Anyone can get it given time.

Beta Testers
302 posts
5,099 battles
On 9/22/2019 at 11:57 AM, Soggytacoos said:

Whether this will help you or not, here's a video that gave me a little help when I first started playing her.

[TXGUN]
Members
200 posts
14,074 battles

I love that video!  It gets your blood pumping.  Smolensk reminds me of the tier VI Cleveland.  One salvo and everyone on the map is focus firing on you.  Even some of your team mates at times.  EVERYONE hates Smolensk, except me and a few other enlightened individuals.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,395 posts
13,677 battles
12 hours ago, OKIES_NAVY said:

EVERYONE hates Smolensk, except me and a few other enlightened individuals.

EVERYONE, that is not currently driving the Smolensk in a given battle, hates it.

• Cool 1

[TXGUN]
Members
200 posts
14,074 battles

They hated the Minotaur yesterday and today they hate the Smolensk.  I'm as concerned about them as a Hells Angel is concerned about having bad breath.

• Cool 1

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
1,149 posts
13,744 battles

Think one of the CCs put up a video discussing a HE rework of sorts...

[WOLF2]
Members
444 posts
6,870 battles

I get citadeled in Smol from all angles...turn broadside hoping for these overpens everyone whines about...get citadeled.  Smol is overrated.

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
110 posts
12,966 battles

It's the "I Win Ship" WoWS added.

[CFNB]
Members
2 posts
3,268 battles

E um navio de bicho mesmo, tem canhão rápido mais rápido ainda

agilidade como um dd é muito chato jogar com um. Esse cruzador é muito difícil

acertar ele, melhor impossível, (wows) ta virando um jogo chato de jogar

com esses navios super poderosos ...  Smolensk  

Edited by sborges649

[WOLFA]
Members
158 posts
3,757 battles

Play CA. Specifically Des Moines which is Smolinsk's natural enemy. 203 mm is best counter available.