You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tigermate

Not Played since Xmas 2016 - What's changed?

15 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
793 battles

I last played over the Xmas period of 2016, and left as the IJN Destroyer nerfs didn't sit well with me.  Anyhow, can someone sum up the main changes to WoWS from then till now and if the IJN destroyer lines got re-balanced after the nerf-bat in 2016?

Yours Aye,

Tigermate

[PVE]
Members
18,340 posts
11,365 battles
11 minutes ago, Tigermate said:

I last played over the Xmas period of 2016, and left as the IJN Destroyer nerfs didn't sit well with me.  Anyhow, can someone sum up the main changes to WoWS from then till now and if the IJN destroyer lines got re-balanced after the nerf-bat in 2016?

Yours Aye,

Tigermate

Also, open water stealth firing is gone. Your detection blooms to your firing range for 20 seconds now when shooting. Some DD mains are still mad that Happy Time is over.

DDs only take 10% damage max from AP that is 280mm or larger. So DDs are harder to blap for BBs.

Cmdr skills have been revamped twice. You can get Concealment expert at 10 points instead of 15 now. The XP to get to 19 has been lowered. 19pt Cmdrs have their cmdr XP converted into Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) which is like FXP for cmdr training.

AFT now only buffs gun range for main guns of 139mm and lower. It buffs the range of ALL secondary guns of any size. AFT also no longer extends the range of AA. The range of AA auras is now based on caliber and nation and is fixed. 

Speaking of AA, short (<=28mm) and medium (28.1mm-85mm) AA still does continuous damage. Long range AA (85.1mm+) does continuous damage and generates flak clouds. The slot 3 AA gun module upgrade adds +2 flak clouds, so is only useful for ships with long range AA.

BBs really benefit from fire protection skills as UltimateNewbie noted. Lots of fast firing HE DDs and CLs now.

IJN 100mm guns and mid to high tier German cruiser HE has 1/4 pen on HE which stacks with the IFHE skill. UK BBs have 1/4 pen to HE. Everyone else is 1/6.

CVs are only even tier now, T4-T10. There are planned alternate CV lines.

Subs are coming and are slated to be only even tier, T6-T10. Slated to be in their own mode, but WG is looking to see if they can be added to PvP. They plan on buffing the speed absurdly in the attempt. Hopefully, sanity will prevail.

One use camos have much better bonuses and Draconic flags are a special type of flag with great economic bonuses.

Flint, Black, and the other ranked and clan battle ships are now purchased for Steel. Steel is a new resource earned in ranked and clan battles. Coal is earned in missions every day and can be used for premium ships, upgrades, Cmdrs, combat flags, patches, etc in the Armory. See the Armory, left side in port, in game for more detail.

US cruiser split moved Cleveland to T8 on the CL side. The old US CAs got dropped one tier, so Baltimore is T8 now.

The IJN line split added T9 & T10 DDs with super fast HE guns.

Lots of other things too, but that's all I have for now off the top of my head.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,029 posts
17,165 battles

Nothing.

CV still op.

Destroyers still op.

Cruisers still spam he.

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
6,435 posts
16,189 battles
30 minutes ago, Tigermate said:

Yours Aye,

Tigermate

Dont play any torp DD or torp capable ships.... 0.8 patches and their sinblings have created a preferential/discriminatory treatment between ordnance type (mainly against torps) and DMG...

Flood DMG nerfed

Liquidator gone

tier 10 is a dumpster fire (literally fire is the dominating DMG causer in the tier behind AP and mindless secondaries).

RTS CVs are/were better then rework CVs... You can think Ichase for that...

I think I covered the basics... So GL/HF

If you decide to disappear again OP, trust me I get it... Problem is WG probably wont...

Edited by Navalpride33

[RKLES]
Members
10,736 posts
12,365 battles
20 minutes ago, Tigermate said:

Yours Aye,

Tigermate

I joined in very early 2017 so not sure if the IJN torpedo detection happened prior to your absence or not, but it’s been a little easier to spot IJN torpedoes than other torpedoes giving intended targets an extra second or 2 to take evasive action, but IJN torpedoes at least still hot really hard even to this day which is good.

A little buff did happen though which is absolutely no aircraft in the game can spot torpedoes anymore. If you want to spot torpedoes early you either need the torpedo spotting captain skill, hydro, or allied ship between you and the attacker to spot the torpedoes.

That little buff came at a cost since across the board concerning all torpedoes in game the flooding mechanics got nerfed to make flooding less catastrophic for ships. Flooding is now on par with fire damage or even a little less dangerous than fires even. Which can be annoying, but at least the explosive damage on torpedoes is still potent, and floods can still kill, just not as easily.

There is something you missed that you may never be able to get that can be an effective IJN DD, the HSF Harekaze. Kagero Class DD from the Anime Haifuri / High School Fleet. Like the Kagero it can use smoke or instead carry Torpedo Reload Booster, but the massive difference is the main guns. Harekaze has 3 choices in main guns that can be selected to be used in port before heading into battles. You have the standard Kagero guns of course, then there are the 100mm Akizuki Guns in 3x dual turrets, and 3rd choice are the Benson’s single gun turrets. The choices in Armaments can give Harekaze an unpredictable nature in battles, but the 100mm Akizuki guns are the most popular choice for increased firepower, but all greatly increased AA power vs a normal Kagero. Just thought I would mention this in case you run into some Harekaze DDs and wonder why they can fight so diffferently.

The IJN Harugumo Line formerly known as Akizuki line was completed with the additions of tier IX Kitakze and Harugumo, the later 2 are often considered to be light Cruisers instead of DDs despite them being DDs. Little more sluggish in mobility, and detection is worse than IJN torpedo boat line, but the gun firepower of Haragumo is fearsome.

And finally you will need to do some research into what ships carry hydro, Radar, and the ranges of these Consumables because post 2016 there have been additions and changes that will catch you completely off guard if you are unaware of them. Oh and we have a few other ships with good secondary gun Armaments you will need to know about as well.

[TBW]
Members
8,617 posts
15,471 battles
1 hour ago, Tigermate said:

nerfs didn't sit well with me

You missed a bunch of that and a bunch of new ships.

[SHPFC]
Members
222 posts
7,262 battles

Yours Aye,

Tigermate

Sir your coming back to a Brand New Game. Good Luck. Nerf'ing is still the thing WG does with hammers. 

Frosty

[SOV]
Members
2,958 posts

Yours Aye,

Tigermate

Expect to be cussed at and called a cancer id you play a cv because the babys here do not other words.

Better staying away

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,032 posts
21,537 battles

Co-op and Ops became the modes to go to escape most of the things players hate about Randoms and Ranked.

Halsey was sacked as Admiral (CIC/RTS) and demoted to Squadron Commander; (FPS/carrier rework.) Whether or not that is the greatest thing since sliced bread, or a burning dumpster full of summer fermented cafeteria slops depends on who you talk to.

A navy which was an also ran in the relevant time period is now populated with some of the most OP alcohol fueled napkin fantasies in the game; unless of course someone else incinerates them with the aforementioned fire meta.

1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

Better staying away.

I thought about saying this; but instead;

Just understand it’s not the same game anymore, for a lot of reasons.

Find some good companions, be patient, pay attention to your surroundings in-game, learn from your mistakes, and you’ll be fine.

THAT PART, at least, hasn’t changed.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Members
401 posts
10,241 battles

Well if your talking about just IJN DD Torp line nothing has changed too much with how they played before in 2016 , the torps still have the high detection nerf they got slapped with back then so your going to have to compromise with closing in to ensure the spread of the torps  doesn't go wide and get detected along the the way, people now use their guns more in torp DDs.

Radar been added into the game depending when you left, its similar to hydro expect it only spots ships generally ranges out to 7-12km

Planes are still your biggest enemy but nice thing now is they can't spot torpedoes anymore but beware CVs now have a very direct control over the planes weapon system.

Otherwise everyone else has covered what needed to be said here welcome back to working hard to get results.

[HEROS]
Members
1,803 posts
15,523 battles

If yer gonna play DD's your going to have to learn to be hyper aware of what going on around you at all times.   Accept the fact right now that you can do everything right and still not know what just killed you or how.   German DD"s hard hitting guns and accurate.  Russian DD's manys guns and Fast.  French DD's even faster then russian DD's with rather frighteningly hard hitting arty.  Italian DD's coming soon with trick ammo (semi armor piercing!!!) and powerplants designed by Ferrari!   Minor European powers have now been bunched into their own "Pan European" line.   There's the Pan asian line of DD's infamous for "Deep Water" torpedos that are very hard to spot and dodge without hydro fast and will rip up everything out there other then another DD.

Radar everywhere at high tiers make a point of knowing the range and duration of all radar equipped ships out there, and be aware there are some jokers in the deck when it comes to radar.   Be very aware of which ships have Hydro acoustic search, what the range is, and how long it lasts.  Learn it on a ship by ship basis as the number are really rather all over the place.

STay away from caps unless you like to swim a lot.  SOmetimes you can get in early but watch the positioning of friendly ships.  Getting support as a DD is a rare thing so be glad when it happens but never truly expect it.

Think sneaky, act sneaky and never ever ever do the obvious.  Smoke is for breaking off not hiding in most cases.   For DDs its a whole new game since 2016.   IJN Boats can still be dominating torp boats but ya gotta be a little circumspect.

And you'll need to put a bit more thought into how you use your torps.  Learn to ride the edge of detecting range.. NOT concealment range.  If your at the edge of concealment  against other DD you might get away with it.  Against cruiser however these days not so much especially at tiers VIII and up.  SOmetimes its far smarter to let the DD you have the drop on get away rather then opening up and becoming a target for several ships at one.

And of course the single most difficult skill of all is learning when to utterly disregard all of the above advice and just go for it.  It doesn't happen often but it does happen.   SItuational awareness is utterly crucial.  There are build and strategy guides for almost all the DD's here on the forums sorted by nationality.  Read 'em.. There will be conflicting viewpoints. Just always remember the ship is just a tool no matter how capable.  Your the hand that holds it and directs it and makes it a good tool, or utter crap.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

TL_Warlord_Rpff sends

P.s. Sorry for all the typos's its the wee hours of the morning and I couldn't sleep..*sigh*

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[BBMOD]
Members
220 posts
4,453 battles

I have worked through the RU DDs and just got the T9 French DD last night. I enjoy playing those DDs. I have been playing the IJN line on the side and find them... painful. Bad guns, mediocre concealment, slow torpedoes and generally horrible AA. Once in a great while I will have a good game at mid tiers but most of the time its pretty frustrating play. The IJN line needs a serious rework.

Members
4 posts
793 battles

Thank you everyone for replying.  It seems that WG saw fit to leave the nerf on the IJN DD's.

On 9/30/2019 at 1:30 AM, Muki41 said:

Well if your talking about just IJN DD Torp line nothing has changed too much with how they played before in 2016 , the torps still have the high detection nerf they got slapped with back then so your going to have to compromise with closing in to ensure the spread of the torps  doesn't go wide and get detected along the the way, people now use their guns more in torp DDs.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Just understand it’s not the same game anymore, for a lot of reasons. 

And for the above reasons, I think I'll take Jags_domain's advice and not bother with this game any further.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:04 PM, jags_domain said:

Better staying away 

[BIER]
Members
318 posts
5,161 battles
22 hours ago, Tigermate said:

Thank you everyone for replying.  It seems that WG saw fit to leave the nerf on the IJN DD's.

And for the above reasons, I think I'll take Jags_domain's advice and not bother with this game any further.

Sadly, I think that's the smart thing. 

I'm decamping for good by the end of October, as it's not any fun anymore. WG simply killed a fun game through very bad mismanagement.  Time to find something else to do.