You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CriMiNaL__

Bring Back Ocean Map

63 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles

As the title says. WGing bring ocean map back into regular rotation, it is one of those maps that makes teams work together or lose.

@Femennenly can you tell us why Ocean Map is not seen as regularly as we might want it.

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Cool 21
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4
  • Angry 1

Members
1,698 posts
3 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

As the title says. WGing bring ocean map back into regular rotation, it is one of those maps that makes teams work together or loose.

YES ..Love that map..

[WOLFX]
Members
238 posts
10,984 battles

Looking at it now, I'm surprised that Ocean isn't one of the largest maps.

I'd like to see a 48km x 48km version of Ocean added to the high tier rotation, even if just to see how it would play.

• Cool 1

[BB-57]
Members
264 posts
12,479 battles

Ocean, scaled bigger or smaller, depending on tier, would be most welcome, in higher rotation.

[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,017 battles
6 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Where not most naval battles fought in open ocean?

In modern history, yes. No navy would risk it's capital ships close to land in a battle. Too much could go wrong and in real life, ships take a freaking long time to actually turn. Most naval engagements were not even fought within sight of land...... Maneuvering fleets is a huge undertaking and they require loads of room to move about without running into one another already. Tossing rocks into that would just make a mess. 

[WOLFD]
Members
707 posts
5,481 battles
10 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

As the title says. WGing bring ocean map back into regular rotation, it is one of those maps that makes teams work together or loose.

Seriously dude, Ocean map sucks for every one but BB mains.   Ocean may be more realistic, but it does not work, teams do not play together on that map any more than they do on any other map.

Ocean should stay gone and never come back!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles
2 minutes ago, AXELGREASE said:

Seriously dude, Ocean map sucks for every one but BB mains.   Ocean may be more realistic, but it does not work, teams do not play together on that map any more than they do on any other map.

Ocean works perfectly fine, the trick is for everyone to do a couple of simple things, I have found at the start of the game if I say something along the lines of this,

"1 dd go a rest c, don't split and call targets", I have found that teams that follow this simple instruction quite often will win, due to the other team splitting their forces at c and getting wiped by being outnumbered.

The 1 DD told to go A is told to run and only spot and slow them down.

People do not like ocean because they cannot hide, but it does not mean it should not be in rotation.

• Cool 1

Members
1,738 posts
3,622 battles
4 minutes ago, AXELGREASE said:

Ocean is only bad for the campy players that have nothing to hide behind, its great for players that know how to stay on the move and know how to exploit visual ranges. Its a map that shows players true skill level, which is why island humpers hate it because that suck at the game and only know how to use 1 trick, their also the players that hate CVs because the planes force players to actually move and they hate the old IJN DDs because they nuked stationary idiots

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles

In addition, make a smaller version of Ocean (call it "Sea", maybe) for mid/lower tiers to play on.

My theory is that people mostly hate Ocean because it's so rare, so they rarely get to actually practice the different tactics needed to succeed on it.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

The whole problem is that one thread says remove it entirely and just below it this thread to put it back. 

I'd rather see it in the rotation but I'm sure you'll recall back in "the old days" there were cannons full of salt firing full broadsides all day long about the map. Almost as much as Tears of the Dessert Epicenter mode...

I wanted to burn the Ocean with fire originally when I was more inexperienced in the game but now I'd be fine with it... I think most of the people complaining about it just lack sufficient competence in the game to feel comfortable in an environment that differs from "their favourite way." 

[WORX]
Members
6,376 posts
16,167 battles

Yes Ocean map for all tiers.... Iv'e seen this map once all year (last night), it was fun playing it... It was a loss... Regardless it was fun..

• Boring 1

Members
1,184 posts
6,731 battles
41 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

In addition, make a smaller version of Ocean (call it "Sea", maybe) for mid/lower tiers to play on.

My theory is that people mostly hate Ocean because it's so rare, so they rarely get to actually practice the different tactics needed to succeed on it.

Ocean got pulled from normal rotation because of player complaints.

33 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

The whole problem is that one thread says remove it entirely and just below it this thread to put it back. 

I'd rather see it in the rotation but I'm sure you'll recall back in "the old days" there were cannons full of salt firing full broadsides all day long about the map. Almost as much as Tears of the Dessert Epicenter mode...

I wanted to burn the Ocean with fire originally when I was more inexperienced in the game but now I'd be fine with it... I think most of the people complaining about it just lack sufficient competence in the game to feel comfortable in an environment that differs from "their favourite way." 

And for the same reason. Wide open maps like Ocean, old Tears of the Desert and Okinawa consistently produce the most passive matches. Players do not become more aggressive in the absence of cover. Quite the opposite. 

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles
7 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Ocean got pulled from normal rotation because of player complaints.

And just as many players enjoyed it. Are the ones who wanted to keep Ocean/want Ocean returned to rotation less legitimate, then? Is their feedback somehow worth less?

• Cool 1

Members
1,184 posts
6,731 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

And just as many players enjoyed it. Are the ones who wanted to keep Ocean/want Ocean returned to rotation less legitimate, then? Is their feedback somehow worth less?

I think even you can see the problem in claiming that "people mostly hate Ocean because it's so rare" when Ocean is only rare because WG pulled it from normal rotation because people hated it. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles
7 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

I think even you can see the problem in claiming that "people mostly hate Ocean because it's so rare" when Ocean is only rare because WG pulled it from normal rotation because people hated it. 

You didn't answer my question.

• Cool 1

[SS238]
Members
297 posts
29,510 battles

Ocean is a great map. All you have to do is change the map scale to make entirely different games. Make it a HUGE map and let multiple CV's duke it out at long range while the fleets protect the CV's and maneuver for the final battle.

Make it small with poor visibility and have DD's and CL's hold knife fights at close range. As it is now, it makes a great BB and CA map. It should be the most common map in the game.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
643 posts
2,226 battles
1 hour ago, Frigate007 said:

I for one would sure like to try it. Where not most naval battles fought in open ocean?

In map sizes, even historic Guadalcanal would essentially be Ocean. Ironbottom Sound is large.

Edited by BlackAngelCom

Members
1,184 posts
6,731 battles
8 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

You didn't answer my question.

Because it was a predictably stupid attempt to dodge the point. I care about the feedback of people who liked Ocean as much as WG does. In other words clearly not enough to outweigh the complaints from the people who hated it. It changes nothing about how stupid it was to claim that people mostly hate Ocean because of its rarity when it was only made rare because people hated it. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,488 posts
3,895 battles
6 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Because it was a predictably stupid attempt to dodge the point. I care about the feedback of people who liked Ocean as much as WG does. In other words clearly not enough to outweigh the complaints from the people who hated it. It changes nothing about how stupid it was to claim that people mostly hate Ocean because of its rarity when it was only made rare because people hated it. 

And it was still fairly rare before WG reduced its frequency, so no, my statement is not stupid or baseless.

It also has not been removed. Its frequency was just drastically reduced.

People hate Ocean because they don't know how to play on it.

Just like people hate destroyers because they don't know how to play around torpedoes.

Just like people hate cruisers because they don't know how to deal with HE.

Just like people hate carriers because they don't know how to deal with aircraft.

Just like people hate battleships because they don't know to hide behind islands and try to angle against things that overmatch their armor.

Ocean isn't the only thing that's "widely hated" (your words) just because those people don't know how to deal with it (my words).