You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Texas_Vet

US CV Captain Skills

8 comments in this topic

[B_O_W]
Members
384 posts
6,078 battles

I have been watching for some time, US CV play on youtube.  It now has my interest to jump into.  I did enjoy the older method of game play, and have resisted the new method.  So for generic skills for the US CV line, what would you recommend, in order for captain skills?  I have a 14 point captain I will reallocate to play in CV's.  I will restart at the Langley, then Ranger and beyond.  If Ranger is a keeper, will continue up the line.....

My effort will begin when I purchase my replacement Windows laptop (Mac client just is not working well, so will go back to a WIn 10, Gen 8, 64 DDR2, SSD of 1tb, 17" screen and play again...

Tks ahead for your recommendations and as to why you would pick those skills.  After all, understanding why is critically important.

Regards,

Texas_Vet (transplanted in Reno,NV).

[PQUOD]
Members
3,070 posts
11,688 battles

Hi Texas_Vet. I took this screen shot from the World of Warships Wiki page. This is from the Langley  captain skills recommendations. The three stars being most desirable, two stars second most desirable, and one star being the least.

I did as you did started with the USN line. (Currently in the regular tech tree line the T8 Lexington is the most fun)

Then through the introduction of the RN CV's earned up to the T6 Furious and after the event got the T8 Implacable (in current state the Furious is more fun to play) 

Due to our clan IJN  CV main not been able to participate in Naval Battles I started the IJN tech tree line. The T4 Hosho recently received a buff and it shows. Getting high damage games in the T4 that I couldn't reach with the Hermes or Langley. 

Best of luck!

wp_ss_20190921_0001 (2).png

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,592 posts
10,806 battles

Air supremacy

Improved engines

Aircraft armour

Sight Stabilization

For the last 4 - CE or Survivability Expert (it ups plane HP now) and improved engine boost.

CE - staying unspotted is more important than ever thanks to them taking away the ability to attack and properly move. SE adds hp, and little as it may seem you want all he HP and protection you can get by tier 6. And more boost = more speed and ability to change speed to dodge flak. 

[B_O_W]
Members
384 posts
6,078 battles

Thank you.  So for a good build for a 10 point Captain for a US CV that can be transferred from the Langley going up would be:

1 point:  Air Supremacy  (reduced hanger to deck time)

2 points:  Improved Engine (extra speed is always good!)

3 points;  Aircraft Armor (increase aircraft HP)

4 points:  Sight Stabilization  (reduce aim time) 

Then to add the next skill, numerous options:

1 point:  Improved Engine Boost

3 points:  basic Fire Training (improved secondaries and AA)

3 points:  survivability expert  (more HP is always a good thing)

4 points : concealment expert (reduce the detect ability of aircraft)

4 points:  Advanced Fire Training (improved secondary range, increased damage to long range AA)

I see two paths -

1) its all about the aircraft

2) Aircraft and AA

I think the AA build is better.  So, after the first 10 points to get to a 19 point Captain, then:

3 points:  Survivability Expert

4 points Advanced Fire Training

3 points:  Basic fire training

Looks good on all CV's, I think...  I have my head on straight on DD's, and my CL's are somewhat like a DD build (especially for the UK CL's), but since the CV rework, this is very different.

Thank you for your comments.  I do have hears to hear.  Well, that is unless my wife tells me what to think and say..........  I mean, hey, married for 36 years.  By the way, I have been on the old Ranger when it was still in service.

Edited by Texas_Vet

[WOLFC]
Members
254 posts
14,151 battles
11 hours ago, Texas_Vet said:

My effort will begin when I purchase my replacement Windows laptop (Mac client just is not working well

you are probably tired of hearing this, but have you tried running windows on your mac via boot camp?  I've heard it gives better results/performance than the mac client.

[B_O_W]
Members
384 posts
6,078 battles
3 hours ago, Grantwhy said:

you are probably tired of hearing this, but have you tried running windows on your mac via boot camp?  I've heard it gives better results/performance than the mac client.

Not enough free disk space....  I do thank you for your recommendation.

And yes, Acts of Random Kindness is always a good path....  ARK

Found something in a redneck bar on a napkin - BEER - Because you can't drink bacon.

Somehow, that made sense at the time....

Edited by Texas_Vet

[B_O_W]
Members
384 posts
6,078 battles
13 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Air supremacy

Improved engines

Aircraft armour

Sight Stabilization

For the last 4 - CE or Survivability Expert (it ups plane HP now) and improved engine boost.

CE - staying unspotted is more important than ever thanks to them taking away the ability to attack and properly move. SE adds hp, and little as it may seem you want all he HP and protection you can get by tier 6. And more boost = more speed and ability to change speed to dodge flak. 

WanderingGhost, 

I have just started to browse your "link", and I am thankful for your detailed and logical post.  This will be a very good source of information for me.  Thank you for this.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,592 posts
10,806 battles
25 minutes ago, Texas_Vet said:

WanderingGhost, 

I have just started to browse your "link", and I am thankful for your detailed and logical post.  This will be a very good source of information for me.  Thank you for this.

Thanks, feels like bashing my head against a wall at times (seeing as Wargaming put Ark in at tier 6 but can still use her later "sink the bismarck" version with changes), but always good to hear the work is appreciated. Seeing as it's a list of proposals, not what is and will be... much as I hope it is what will be. 

That said - AA is not that important to a CV, Let alone USN's. The basically unlimited fighter cover that launches when spotted and what it has already is usually enough, I think Ark Royal is one of the only ones with any seeming issue. GZ, maybe kaga, slightly different story with their secondaries, but that said your in trouble in this gameplay if your secondaries are firing.