You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Nitpicking, but something I would like to have (fps cap)

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

This isn't a problem that applies to most people; in fact, this is a problem that doesn't even matter in this game. However, I'm going to throw it out there, maybe it'll grab some traction.

I have a 165hz monitor. It's fantastic for competitive FPS games (of course it makes no difference in this game whatsoever, as it's playable even at 20 or 30 fps) However, this game seems to have a built-in FPS lock to 75. There is a workaround, however. It can be changed by editing the file Res\engine_config.cfg. There is a line that says "<maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>". In my case, I change it to "<maxFrameRate>165</maxFrameRate>". The added smoothness really adds to the visual immersion of this game.

I'm suggesting that they add a "max frame rate" box to the menu, or remove the cap entirely.

[HINON]
Supertester
22,170 posts
16,066 battles

I like the option of making it an option in the menu. I don't however see a need to remove the limit entirely. The only people that would actually benefit are enthusiasts for whom the fact that they have to edit an ini to remove the limit isn't really a problem.

Personally I have a system capable of running the game at max settings at 140+ FPS myself, but I keep the limit as is. Simple reason: my panel is only 60 hz. Removing the limit would not benefit me, but keeping it in means my CPU and GPU can just waddle along at pedestrian loads and still give me the max experience I can on my hardware. How many people really have high refresh rate panels?

But, like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing it as an option in the settings menu.

[SAVAG]
Members
639 posts
1 hour ago, CarbonButtprint said:

This isn't a problem that applies to most people; in fact, this is a problem that doesn't even matter in this game. However, I'm going to throw it out there, maybe it'll grab some traction.

I have a 165hz monitor. It's fantastic for competitive FPS games (of course it makes no difference in this game whatsoever, as it's playable even at 20 or 30 fps) However, this game seems to have a built-in FPS lock to 75. There is a workaround, however. It can be changed by editing the file Res\engine_config.cfg. There is a line that says "<maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>". In my case, I change it to "<maxFrameRate>165</maxFrameRate>". The added smoothness really adds to the visual immersion of this game.

I'm suggesting that they add a "max frame rate" box to the menu, or remove the cap entirely.

I thank you for the information. I have a 144hz monitor and would love to see the game as you . Smoother more fluid. I'll look into the edit ....this is great !

Running a 27" 144hz LED panel on an MSI 1070  16 GB . I should be good.

Edited by Versili

Members
1,072 posts
49 minutes ago, Lert said:

I like the option of making it an option in the menu.

I agree.  I have the hardware to do it, since the naval sim I play takes a LOT more CPU than this game takes, but, I'm not that bothered by having bleeding edge framerates.  My tired old eyes aren't going to care, anyway!

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,696 posts
4 minutes ago, agm114r said:

I agree.  I have the hardware to do it, since the naval sim I play takes a LOT more CPU than this game takes, but, I'm not that bothered by having bleeding edge framerates.  My tired old eyes aren't going to care, anyway!

I said that until I bought a 144hz monitor.  I noticed instantly and I am never going back to 60hz.  

• Cool 2

[GOB]
Members
906 posts

NO NEED to edit anything.  Just go to the  approved WOWS MOD section and WOWS has their own mod that allows up to 350fps.   All done!  Still the Max I see is 160

[WORX]
Members
6,538 posts
16,206 battles

I suggest everyone to check the refresh rate of your monitors... As high as your FPS is, if your refresh rate chant keep up with the in game action, then it makes no difference.

[A-D-F]
5,696 posts
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I suggest everyone to check the refresh rate of your monitors... As high as your FPS is, if your refresh rate chant keep up with the in game action, then it makes no difference.

Most modern equipment syncs frame rate with refresh rate.  GSync, freesync etc.  It keeps the monitor and the card on the same frame.

[WORX]
Members
6,538 posts
16,206 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Most modern equipment syncs frame rate with refresh rate.  Sync, freesync etc.  It keeps the monitor and the card on the same frame.

That will be messed up if they do.. I dont think most people have these modern monitors... If they do, trash it fast.,

• Confused 1

[A-D-F]
5,696 posts
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

That will be messed up if they do.. I dont think most people have these modern monitors... If they do, trash it fast.,

Err, gsync and other dynamically synced hardware is the newer generation and is frankly visually fantastic.  It makes the old software vsync a thing of the past.  I assure you that my gysync 144hz 1440 monitor is going no where near a trash can. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
6,538 posts
16,206 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Err, gsync and other dynamically synced hardware is the newer generation and is frankly visually fantastic.  It makes the old software vsync a thing of the past.  I assure you that my gysync 144hz 1440 monitor is going no where near a trash can. :Smile_teethhappy:

Pardon me, I was under the impression the good monitors to use for the type of games like WOWS is a high refresh monitor...  Now I am not saying how it looks visually...

What I am saying can it keep up with the in game visuals... If your refresh rate is being capped... I dont see it as a good thing...

If it works for you and you love the visuals then cool...

[A-D-F]
5,696 posts
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Pardon me, I was under the impression the good monitors to use for the type of games like WOWS is a high refresh monitor...  Now I am not saying how it looks visually...

What I am saying can it keep up with the in game visuals... If your refresh rate is being capped... I dont see it as a good thing...

If it works for you and you love the visuals then cool...

144 frames per second is generally considered a high refresh rate monitor.  Modern first person shooters will give my monitor and card a workout and cause the fan for the water cooling to ramp up.  It doesn't even notice wows is running.

[WORX]
Members
6,538 posts
16,206 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

144 frames per second is generally considered a high refresh rate monitor.  Modern first person shooters will give my monitor and car a workout.  It doesn't even notice wows is running.

That is my recommendation also, as I was catching up on the current monitors in the market... If your GPU is compatible with the 144mhz monitor, its currently top of the line for the game...

The 240mhz monitors are not available with the current GPU cards in the market... I never heard of G-sync/V-sync, I dismissed it as an advertisement tool. 

Where I got my info

https://www.wepc.com/tips/60hz-120hz-144hz-monitor-gaming/

[XBRTC]
Members
3,002 posts
9,717 battles
35 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Most modern equipment syncs frame rate with refresh rate.  GSync, freesync etc.  It keeps the monitor and the card on the same frame.

"most"

Yeah, not so much.

The standard monitors that you find on the shelf in stores do not support Gsync or Freesync. Those are features that are generally only found on hardware aimed specifically at the gaming market, and it comes with a bump in price.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,584 posts
4,550 battles

There is a mod in Aslain's pack that lets you choose from a range of limits.  I don't recall the high option.  Check it out.

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

G-sync/V-sync, I dismissed it as an advertisement tool. 

Both are very useful at eliminating screen tearing. One is way better than the other.

Screen tearing is basically when you have two or more frames being displayed at the same time, here's an example:

Spoiler

Tearing_(simulated).thumb.jpg.1693069ff97d93f41e2a363231b35de0.jpg

It makes the image look very choppy, inconsistent, and unrealistic.

IIRC vsync adds input lag to the image but tries to send out one whole frame at a time. It's better than nothing but it can cause stutters, input lag, and it caps FPS to your monitor's refresh rate. I don't like it in games where input lag matters (first person shooters) but for World of Warships it's fine. Try enabling it in the settings to see if it makes a difference for you.

G-sync is Nvidia's proprietary solution. It only works if you have both a compatible nvidia card and a monitor that g-sync compatible (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It basically works by dynamically changing the monitor's refresh rate to match the frames being produced by the GPU. 

I truly believe that a high refresh rate monitor is worth every penny, and high refresh rates with gsync are just *that* much better. If you haven't seen 144+hz for yourself in person you won't know what the difference actually looks like. Once you get used to it, it's hard to go back, even for games that aren't competitive first person shooters like CSGO.

Here's a video by nvidia that explains it:

Beta Testers
803 posts
4,805 battles

My monitor only makes 60 FPS but its a 4k one. I would however just like to actually be able to get steady 60 FPS when i play this game. I cant actually play it at max because it jumps FPS so bad. I manage every other game including [edited] at max graphics and keep 60 fps or more but this game cant seem to do it. i really wish they'd work on game optimization, because IMO its pretty bad from my experience

[A-D-F]
5,696 posts
17 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I never heard of G-sync/V-sync, I dismissed it as an advertisement tool. 

Gsync and Vsync are completely different things.  Vsync is the software version and has been around since, I dunno the 90s maybe.  Its basically used in just about every game ever.  It works "ok" but it's all we had for a very long time.

Gsync is hardware dynamic syncro.  Saying it is an advertising tool is like saying upgrading from standard TV to a flat screen high definition TV was an advertising tool.  It's that big of a difference in performance. 

I understand you are not going to find it built in to the $100 monitor at walmart, that is why I said "modern".  It is not an uncommon feature to find in higher end monitors now, it is not "rare".  Gsync is the Nvidia version and freesync is the AMD card version.

Much like a high refresh rate monitor, once you get used to Gsync or freesync, you will never want to go back.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,268 posts
6,224 battles

I have an Asus 144z and my computer can run 200+ fps no problem, but yes you have to maintain whatever fps you cap it to.  WOT has 144hz support in settings, it would be nice to have that in WOWS.