You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Citadel

Yoshino, Smolensk or Thunderer?

15 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
931 posts

I have lots of coal and can get either one. I have all the rest of the coal ships. Need some thoughts on what you would pick. I have the Colbert so Im a little shy against ships that can get 1 salvo deleted easy. Something really left a bad taste in my mouth about only being able to hide behind a rock. I'm also not a great BB player and after playing the nerfed conq It seems like it takes a lot of damage. Even the lowest of caliber HE just wrecks you. I'm leaning toward the Yoshino because I had a hell of a good time in the Henri. What are your thoughts?

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,783 posts
9,171 battles

Smolensk is probably the most fun of the 3, but other than that, do you like RN ap battleships (Warspite, Hood & Vanguard)? Yoshino is fairly niche.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,361 posts
4,299 battles

Hmm if you have Colbert the Smolensk won't offer too much in terms of different gameplay.

Yoshino is a decent supercruiser if you don't have Kron or Alaska. 20k meme torps too.

Edited by Sumseaman

[NH]
Members
931 posts
4 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

Smolensk or yosh. If you have conqueror you aint missing much.

Just found this out of Mouse's review of the Thunderer and that seals it against it.  "Thunderer is arguably one of the (if not THE) squishiest tier X battleships though Bourgogne will give her a run for her money." 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,025 posts
17,147 battles

Smolensk before they pull it forever....

[HSD]
Members
510 posts
10,989 battles

If you enjoyed Henri then Yoshino will probably deliver somewhat similar enjoyment. However Yoshino doesn't have that spaced armour that can somewhat troll AP. She also has those 20km torps that can do some work but require great care in use.

Thunderer, if you have played either Vanguard or Warspite they will give you an idea of what Thunderer is like. Vanguard is the closest comparison, similar squishy hull but a nice rudder that makes evasion tactics viable at sufficient ranges. Where Thunderer differs is that her guns do not feel lacking in individual power, lacking in barrels yes, but not individual punch. She is very accurate, so accurate at times that if you misjudge your aim the accuracy means you can't even hope for that fluke scatter shell. By the stats Thunderer is extremely squishy, however she has 12.3km conceal at full stealth build with a 10 odd second rudder shift. Using both of those she can persist for quite a while, I haven't found her staying power to be a massive detriment, it is a detriment but not one that I have ever cursed over. That said absolutely setup and designed to be fighting at range, not the frontmost BB, very much a second line support style. So if you don't like that then she may grate on you.

As for Smolensk, well I don't have it, but Smolensk is Smolensk, she seems very easy to get a reasonable baseline performance out of but can plateau early unless you can really work her.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,429 posts
6,833 battles

If you are talking about pure effectiveness, Smolensk hands down. The thunderer is very accurate, manoeuvrable, and hard hitting but she loses the heal conq has witch makes her very sub par as far as tanking goes due to her armour. 

[XBRTC]
Members
2,993 posts
9,683 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Im a little shy against ships that can get 1 salvo deleted easy. Something really left a bad taste in my mouth about only being able to hide behind a rock. 

Not a worry with Smolboi. It does just fine in open-water gunboating, though you do need to pay attention to your surroundings. Situational awareness is the key to surviving / winning with her.

As far as getting one-shotted, goes... I just played battle #66, and I've only been dev struck twice. 

[TMS]
Members
90 posts
12,289 battles

The 18.5 sec. reload time on the Yoshino would drive me nuts. Even with MBM3 it's still 16.2.