You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rgtx1121

Does anyone play the FDG regularly, AND enjoy it?

18 comments in this topic

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

I currently have 3 T9 BB's (Iowa, FDG and Sov. Soy) and the FDG just seems so bad compared to its contemporaries. Yes, I know that KM BB's have terrible dispersion, etc., but i absolutely loved the Bismarck and did extremely well in it. The FDG feels like a wet noodle even when you are top tier. I want the GK so badly, but I just cant stomach the idea of taking this boat out of the port in it's current "state". I don't even want to spend the 5M credits to update the hull since the rest of the ship seems so forgettable. 

Does anyone play this ship and enjoy it? If so, what is your trick? Did you enjoy it from the start or did she grow on you?

Is this ship just not worth the grind? Is FXP'ing past it the way to go?

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
8,301 battles

I played it to get the GK. It was ok.... But I sold it the moment I unlocked the GK and have never missed it. 

• Cool 1

[BB-57]
Members
265 posts
12,489 battles

Secondary build the heck out of it, and the Captain, had a blast. Up close and personal. :cap_rambo: Still enjoy it. Grab them by the belt buckle and kick them in the [edited]! YMMV (Your mileage may vary)

edited : three letter word for butt or donkey, SMH, can't even say [edited]... pathetic. censorship, it only hurts for a little while, that's what they tell me.

Edited by DakotaViking

[VW]
Members
3,234 posts
16,293 battles
1 hour ago, Rgtx1121 said:

I currently have 3 T9 BB's (Iowa, FDG and Sov. Soy) and the FDG just seems so bad compared to its contemporaries. Yes, I know that KM BB's have terrible dispersion, etc., but i absolutely loved the Bismarck and did extremely well in it. The FDG feels like a wet noodle even when you are top tier. I want the GK so badly, but I just cant stomach the idea of taking this boat out of the port in it's current "state". I don't even want to spend the 5M credits to update the hull since the rest of the ship seems so forgettable. 

Does anyone play this ship and enjoy it? If so, what is your trick? Did you enjoy it from the start or did she grow on you?

Sold that trash. Then snowflakes showed up so bought it back. Play it in coop stock and with no mods. So no and no.

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

Sorry... snowflakes? 

I keep hearing that I have never found an actual description of what it was.

[PVE]
Members
1,283 posts
6,353 battles

I play it every chance I get with a full secondary build and 19pt captain and unless I'm off track easily average 100k-140k damage with her. Sure GK has an edge on her but not a huge one.

[WOLFC]
Members
763 posts
6,149 battles
1 hour ago, Rgtx1121 said:

I'm currently grinding my FDG. She is my first and only tier 9 BB besides Musashi (does she really count?), so I can't compare my experience in her to any of her contemporaries, but I've overall enjoyed my experience so far. I run the same hybrid secondary/survival build I use on Bismarck (SI, FP, AFT, and MFCSA) and it seems to work well. While the main gun dispersion can be frustrating (at least they have fast traverse and reload, though), every once in a while I get a game like this and it all seems worth it. Massive brawl in B cap at the end of the game between myself, a friendly Georgia, and 3 red FDGs. :Smile_izmena:

shot-19_09.20_11_37.53-0829.thumb.jpg.05e4c1376c0f71a0ef2c94bbb5df3401.jpg

The ship in the background is actually the friendly Alsace, who lived a little longer than us because he turned away to kite while we were all duking it out within secondary range.

[UN1]
Members
718 posts
2,685 battles
17 hours ago, Rgtx1121 said:

I do have her, and I love her, although recently I've had that captain on the Bismarck cause I love her, too!  :P  Most of my FDG stats don't reflect my current play with her.  I was averaging about 68k damage per game when I was leveling the German BB line (summer 2018, so this was pre-buff).  She was a turd, and I hated her.  Since the buffs in fall 2018, I've averaged ~100k damage per math based on what my napkin math tells me.  She's my 2nd highest damaging ship right under the Musashi, and she's a friggin' monster now.  That said,

The FDG is more or less a fully realized Bismarck, and the key is to play her in a full on secondary build.  The main advantages the FDG has over the Bismarck are:

• Greatly improved firing angles on her secondary battery
  • Superior overmatch potential against heavy/super cruisers
  • Access to the 420mm guns for superior long range penetration
  • Very good mid-range AA and arguably the best AA of any German battleship relative to its tier

All of this combined, especially the much improved secondary firing angles, makes the FDG a vastly, and I do mean vastly more lethal platform to the Bismarck, and the #1 most lethal tech-tree battleship at T9 when in her "zone".  Secondary play isn't easy, but the FDG is extremely dominant in this role and will annihilate any ship she comes across.  You just have to be very smart with positioning and utilize island cover in a "divide and conquer" type playstyle. 

The Kurfurst is just as dominant at brawling, but thanks to her 12 gun setup, she's more versatile in her ability to function in a traditional battleship role.  This makes her a lot easier to pick up for most players.

Edited by Ranari
  • Cool 2

[-GPS-]
Members
2,876 posts
32,130 battles

The I really liked FDG ... a couple of years ago. Better than Kurfürst even. However, throw Misashi, Jean Bart, Alaska, Stalingrad, Smolensk et al into the mix and she’s just not competitive these days. 

[BB-57]
Members
265 posts
12,489 battles
18 hours ago, Rgtx1121 said:

Sorry... snowflakes? 

I keep hearing that I have never found an actual description of what it was.

Last Christmas / New Years season all your ships had a one time "snowflake" symbol kinda like the "Gift, victory bonus" thing going on now. Was a snowflake instead of the warships logo.  Gave "gifts" like this event. More ships, more snowflakes, more gifts.

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles
6 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

The I really liked FDG ... a couple of years ago. Better than Kurfürst even. However, throw Misashi, Jean Bart, Alaska, Stalingrad, Smolensk et al into the mix and she’s just not competitive these days. 

That's my thought as well. I was playing a round last night with a skilled player in an FDG. I am an average player, and I would consider the FDG captain to be above average due to his sitautional awareness, accuracy, etc. My GA was able to dismantle him so easily that it really highlighted the FDG's obsolescence. The continuous rollout of new premiums and coal ships that many consider to be OP *cough*Smolensk*cough* has driven a lot of the tech tree ships into port queens. 

[BIER]
Members
318 posts
5,182 battles

The FDG, even with the upgraded secondaries, suffers EXTREMELY badly from the HE spam that is epidemic at the high tiers.

It simply can't avoid it, and it gets burned horribly. Even the better deck armor isn't sufficient.

The GKF has a similar problem, but the main guns at least give it 50% more shells to throw at something.

Both are very ill suited to the long-range duels and HE spam that top tier play is all about these days.

[-TDH-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
21 posts
4,109 battles
On 9/22/2019 at 9:04 AM, Ranari said:

I do have her, and I love her, although recently I've had that captain on the Bismarck cause I love her, too!  :P  Most of my FDG stats don't reflect my current play with her.  I was averaging about 68k damage per game when I was leveling the German BB line (summer 2018, so this was pre-buff).  She was a turd, and I hated her.  Since the buffs in fall 2018, I've averaged ~100k damage per math based on what my napkin math tells me.  She's my 2nd highest damaging ship right under the Musashi, and she's a friggin' monster now.  That said,

The FDG is more or less a fully realized Bismarck, and the key is to play her in a full on secondary build.  The main advantages the FDG has over the Bismarck are:

• Greatly improved firing angles on her secondary battery
  • Superior overmatch potential against heavy/super cruisers
  • Access to the 420mm guns for superior long range penetration
  • Very good mid-range AA and arguably the best AA of any German battleship relative to its tier

All of this combined, especially the much improved secondary firing angles, makes the FDG a vastly, and I do mean vastly more lethal platform to the Bismarck, and the #1 most lethal tech-tree battleship at T9 when in her "zone".  Secondary play isn't easy, but the FDG is extremely dominant in this role and will annihilate any ship she comes across.  You just have to be very smart with positioning and utilize island cover in a "divide and conquer" type playstyle. 

The Kurfurst is just as dominant at brawling, but thanks to her 12 gun setup, she's more versatile in her ability to function in a traditional battleship role.  This makes her a lot easier to pick up for most players.

I get what you're saying but good luck getting within 12km with more than 50% of your health left and not having 2 - 4 fires burning on your ship. The HE spam meta of the game's higher tiers has gotten WAY out of hand, throw in DDs with their ability to spam infinite numbers of torps which suffer no drawbacks of being affected by rng and a 90% damage resistance to BB AP shells and you've got the entire summary of WoWs anti battleship meta... just wait for subs to show up...

I've revisited the Freddy lately and can't enjoy her at all, the secondaries seem to have had an accuracy nerf since i last played her in late 2017-early 2018 but that seems to be what happened to all german bbs, even mighty ole kurfurst is starting to show similar symptoms of the meta's lack of mercy as i lost a 2 v 1 duel with a pair of tier 9 cruisers in the kurfurst. They just sat at 12km and just hosed me down with HE setting fire after fire after fire and i couldn't manage to hit them due to the accuracy of the kurfurst's guns. Not much you can do when rng screws you and the fire resistance that tier 10s are suppose to have is a load of crap.

[UN1]
Members
718 posts
2,685 battles
6 hours ago, Mernyr said:

I get what you're saying but good luck getting within 12km with more than 50% of your health left and not having 2 - 4 fires burning on your ship. The HE spam meta of the game's higher tiers has gotten WAY out of hand, throw in DDs with their ability to spam infinite numbers of torps which suffer no drawbacks of being affected by rng and a 90% damage resistance to BB AP shells and you've got the entire summary of WoWs anti battleship meta... just wait for subs to show up...

I've revisited the Freddy lately and can't enjoy her at all, the secondaries seem to have had an accuracy nerf since i last played her in late 2017-early 2018 but that seems to be what happened to all german bbs, even mighty ole kurfurst is starting to show similar symptoms of the meta's lack of mercy as i lost a 2 v 1 duel with a pair of tier 9 cruisers in the kurfurst. They just sat at 12km and just hosed me down with HE setting fire after fire after fire and i couldn't manage to hit them due to the accuracy of the kurfurst's guns. Not much you can do when rng screws you and the fire resistance that tier 10s are suppose to have is a load of crap.

I do all the time with Freddy.  Yes, higher tier play is very lethal, but it's still doable.

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
315 posts
18,342 battles
On 10/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, LAnybody said:

The FDG, even with the upgraded secondaries, suffers EXTREMELY badly from the HE spam that is epidemic at the high tiers.

It simply can't avoid it, and it gets burned horribly. Even the better deck armor isn't sufficient.

The GKF has a similar problem, but the main guns at least give it 50% more shells to throw at something.

Both are very ill suited to the long-range duels and HE spam that top tier play is all about these days.

ditto

It is super dependent on support to help against HE spam. Considering selfish high tier meta you are often left alone at the mercy of enemy daka daka with no means to do anything. French BBs at least have speed boost. Also German hulls are huge and easy to hit even at long range.

[LOIN]
Supertester
664 posts

I don't play non premium tier 9s regularly when I get to tier 10. But I did play Friedrich der grosse when I was going down the line. It was fun, it wasn't bad. I really enjoyed her. 

I (personally) think, she isn't as fun as Iowa. But she was very enjoyable 

Edited by Starfleet1701

[PT]
Members
327 posts

No.   With the current game meta I've found the FDG useless more than not.  It’s mostly obsolete now because getting close in as a BB, aside from being highly situational, gets you torped and/or burned down sooner than later most games.  The “brawling” concept is a joke, and the FDG simply cannot deal enough damage to offset damage sustained.  Accurate guns at near max range, which keeps you in the game dealing reliable damage longer, are the BBs to play.  That said, the FDG is an excellent HP piñata that I love to see on the opposing team, so play away!

Edited by nhf