You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Frigate007

Damage and other questions

6 comments in this topic

[GOBI]
Members
522 posts
1,593 battles

What is normal everyday damage at various levels? I assume the higher the tier the higher the damage potential? Reason I'm asking is I have been watching a lot of videos and see constant games over 100k damage, many much much higher. Is this normal and I really suck? Been playing 15 days and my best is around 88k, and many in the 20k to 45k range, some much worse. Will hit 500 battles today, and think maybe I'm doing many things wrong and developing bad habits? Play cruisers mostly (Emerald, Exeter and Leander). Once in a while Warspite and dreadnought. 

Second question. How do I activate chat so I can type in a message? Figured out function keys.

Third question:  Started doing random battles mostly with Exeter. Why am I bottom tier 80% of the time? In one battle I was last ship left alive with 3 tier 7 battleships chasing me down along with a t6 cruiser.. Could only sink one BB before they destroyed me. Made them chase me a while though.

Also is their a way to play back battles?

And last, is it best to have a dedicated Captain for each ship? I have been building up 2, one for my CA line and one for my battleships, all RN. One is 11 points and the other is 12. My reserves are from 0 to 6. I move them around from ship to ship at times. Is this bad in the long run?

Thanks 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2,214 posts
6,979 battles
1 hour ago, Frigate007 said:

What is normal everyday damage at various levels? I assume the higher the tier the higher the damage potential? Reason I'm asking is I have been watching a lot of videos and see constant games over 100k damage, many much much higher. Is this normal and I really suck? Been playing 15 days and my best is around 88k, and many in the 20k to 45k range, some much worse. Will hit 500 battles today, and think maybe I'm doing many things wrong and developing bad habits? Play cruisers mostly (Emerald, Exeter and Leander). Once in a while Warspite and dreadnought. 

Yes, on average, the higher the tier, the higher the average damage will be for a ship, but it can vary significantly from ship to ship even within the same class, much less just the same tier. Most of the videos you’ll see posted with those high damage games are from really good players that can consistently put out those numbers, or from more average players showcasing a very specific game, and will often tend to be higher tiers where the average damage is higher to begin with. Depending on the ship, those numbers are around the average for the ship, especially for newer players. One thing I’d recommend is watching tutorials (one of my favorites is iChaseGaming’s captain’s academy series, which taught me a lot when I first found it and started improving a few years back; Notser, NoZoupForYou, and many others on YouTube will have similar tutorial series), but keep in mind that some of the finer detail stuff covered in those videos could be from a few years ago and significantly out of date. If you go that route, focus more on things like positioning, map awareness, surviving longer, etc., since those don’t really change too much over time.

If you want to keep track of how you’re improving or how you’re doing in a ship compared to the server average, there are a number of stat tracking websites (wows-numbers.com is probably one of the better ones to use since it shows average server stats for ships as well as your own, instead of just your stats compared to what the site considers the ‘ideal’ average performance), but only use it to track your improvement over time and see where you still need to make progress. It’s very easy to get fixated on stats and tunnel vision into only focusing on what the stats say, which isn’t a good approach to have, but being able to track your performance in a given ship over time to see what skill(s) still need to be improved is very helpful if you know how to process that information objectively. Plus, as you improve, you can look back on your earlier stats and see just how much progress you’ve made as well as the path that got you to your skill level at that point.

Second question. How do I activate chat so I can type in a message? Figured out function keys.

Assuming you mean the chat while in a battle, press enter (normal enter or number pad enter both work).

Third question:  Started doing random battles mostly with Exeter. Why am I bottom tier 80% of the time? In one battle I was last ship left alive with 3 tier 7 battleships chasing me down along with a t6 cruiser.. Could only sink one BB before they destroyed me. Made them chase me a while though.

Up until a few patches back, matches were always assembled from the top down, so certain tiers (especially 5, 7, and 8 as a result of low tier protected matchmaking and the prevalence of high tier ships in queue) would constantly be bottom tier. A few patches back it was changed to make battles from bottom up, but it wasn’t making enough of a difference so WG introduced a new system for matchmaking in 8.7. After a 20 game calibration period starting from the release of that patch (over any number of sessions and any number of modes) in a certain ship, you will not be bottom tier more than 40% of the time. Until you hit that 20 game threshold, you will most likely be bottom tier a lot in those problem tiers since there will be a lot of ships of a higher tier that have to be top tier in their next battle because their last 20 battles already had 40% bottom tier. Eventually you’ll see the number of bottom tier battles decrease once you play a certain ship enough, but when you first start out in a ship you will be bottom tier a lot until you’re through the calibration period.

Also is their a way to play back battles?

The game client stores replay files for the last 20 battles (you can increase that limit or remove it completely through several different ways including through the WoWS ModStation download or editing your preferences file) in a folder on your computer called ‘replays’ that will be in your World of Warships folder wherever it’s stored on your hard drive. In order to view a replay, you have to open that replay file with the WoWS client (either by creating a shortcut for the game .exe (the actual .exe, not the launcher) on your desktop and dragging the file onto it, or by associating that file type with the client). If you want to save a recording of a replay, you’ll have to use some sort of screen recording program since the replay file is just a record of the communication between your client and the server so a video editing program can’t read it. Replays can only be opened with the client version they were created with (small hotfixes and sub patches are fine, but each major update tends to break replays from the previous version), so you either have to view them before you update or keep a copy of the version in question on your hard drive.

And last, is it best to have a dedicated Captain for each ship? I have been building up 2, one for my CA line and one for my battleships, all RN. One is 11 points and the other is 12. My reserves are from 0 to 6. I move them around from ship to ship at times. Is this bad in the long run?

Yes and no, it mostly comes down to personal preference. Especially once you get to higher tiers, you will tend to want to have a captain to put into the ship that’s at least partly built up instead of putting a captain with only one or two points in, so some people will build a captain for a certain higher tier ship and move him up the line as they research the next ship. The benefit of this is that you’ll have a much higher level captain ready to go into a ship with skills set up for it, but you have to pay to retrain the captain for each new ship (or spent money/commander xp, or run him in a premium to speed up the retraining). Also, you’ll only have one or two captains for each line, so if you want to keep a ship you’ll have to build a new captain for it. Another benefit is, since you’ll level up that one commander quicker, you’ll get him to 19 points much quicker and will start generating elite commander xp, which you can use to level up other captains.

On the other hand, you can keep making new captains for each ship when you get it. This way, any ship you want to go back and play will have a captain already trained for it without having to spend anything, but it means you’ll have lower skill point captains starting out in your higher tier ships (and some of those ships really feel like a struggle without a commander of a certain level) and you will level up your captains much slower since they will only gain xp when you play the ship they’re in.

Until you get a stockpile of captains going, I’d probably recommend building one captain and moving him up the line as you go, and recruiting a new captain for any lower tier ships that you want to keep and have a dedicated captain for. Eventually you’ll build up a large enough stockpile and have enough ships that you keep that you’ll have a captain for each one tailored to that ship (and its use, for example if you only play a ship in operations you’ll have a captain tailored to operations instead of random battles, or a number of players may keep a randoms and a competitive captain for certain high tier ships that need different builds depending on the mode), but that definitely takes a while to reach. For now, I’d stick with the one captain for each line and when you want to move him back to a different ship, either spend doubloons or stick him in the premium to grind through the retraining without losing any benefit from the skills (or spend credits to speed it up and then just grind out the rest in the new ship, but keep in mind that the skills on that captain either won’t work at all or will be reduced depending on the skill).

Edit: and of course, where are my manners (thanks @MWSVette1), welcome to the game. If you have questions, most of the people on the forums are glad to help, and once you get to a high enough account level to access clans (can’t remember when that it since the requirements have changed so much since I got there), joining a clan and divisioning with them is also a great way to learn and improve.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 3

Members
2,214 posts
6,979 battles

MWSVette1 already provided the direct link for the stats site, but I figured I’d give some links to the tutorials I mentioned.

iChase’s Captain’s Academy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoRQa0D7yVpc05KETkgPsyZHIRZd980cO&feature=share (keep in mind especially the aircraft and carrier videos are extremely outdated, and some of the commander skill videos aren’t necessarily applicable for some of the stats, but the more general gameplay videos are still useful, and the others still have some helpful information)

NoZoupForYou: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpIStK0V3nVFtmJk2dY2FtpMhf_T5MdmW&feature=share (again, the general gameplay stuff is still relevant, some of the ship specific stuff has been changed drastically since the videos were released)

Notser: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLILnXuz8ffTNoyphsQt-1fSfeiskK6NlJ (in addition to this specific tips and tricks playlist, a number of his other videos on ships or gameplay are also good to watch.

Another thing I would recommend for the future (once you’ve watched the tutorial videos and have seen yourself improve) is to watch video reviews for some of the ships you face (normally premiums or new lines getting released on a lot of the channels that aren’t focused on analysis) to get a feel for how they play and what their strengths and weaknesses are, so you can account for that when you fight them.

If you have some specific games you would like feedback on, you can also send them to Lord Zath (https://m.youtube.com/lordzath) - he does a lot of replay analyses on player submitted replays, and would be a great source of feedback on your own games as well as a source of information on other ships in all the replays he’s featured so far on his channel.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[FML]
Members
3,037 posts
13,061 battles
5 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

Good questions - yes, they vary by tier.  Doing 45k damage in a Leander isnt too bad - its rare that you'll do 100k damage in a T6 ship (particularly if not a battleship).  But you can search for the average damage done by tiers on stat sites like this one

Press Enter to type.  Once you have pressd enter, you can press tab to cycle through Team Chat (green), Global Chat (white), or Division chat - if you are in a div (yellow).  Try not to say things helpful to the enemy by accidentally forgetting to hit tab ;).  

Sometimes, you'll be on top, othertimes you'll be on the bottom.  It will vary - though because Tier 4 and below have 'protected' matchmaking where they can only see +/-1 tier, it means T5s are more likely to be on the bottom.  But recent changes to the matchmaker mean that you wont always be on the bottom ,even if it may feel like it some days.  

And nice making them work for it! In random battles, you have no control over your teams - sometimes they will be much stronger than yours, othertimes weaker, and most times they'll be about the same...

I wouldnt bother creating a dedicated UK heavy cruiser captain at the moment.  The only tech tree line are all light cruiers with smokes and heals, and the only heavy cruiser (Exeter) is a fun but lonely premium ship.  Generally, people grow one captain per 'line' tech tree (eg, UK light cruisers) and as they move the ship up a tier, they advance the captain up with it.  Various resources, from credits, to doubloons, to free XP and free captain XP can be used to make the transition much faster (or immediate), but for newer players who have not built up such resources this can be expensive.  You'll get there in the end, though! 

You may also be interested in the following resources to help you get up to speed with the game.  Also, feel free to message me in-game - always happy to division up with you if we're both online at the same time. 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

[GOBI]
Members
522 posts
1,593 battles

Thanks guys for all the great info! Will keep watching videos and go through all tutorials. Hope to see you in the game, just not on the other side lol.

• Cool 1