Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ajdizzy

Back from a Long Break

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
3 posts
607 battles

Alright, so I took a loooong hiatus (forced, not voluntary) and have just gotten back into this game after maybe a year or two of absence and in desperate need of an update on the landscape of the game in terms of the meta and which line is good for which nations. If anyone can give recommendations on what lines for which nations to grind so that I don't waste time on a garbage ship, it'll be much appreciated! 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
765 posts
9,941 battles

Play some couple of games first then come back on what you think is your opinion on the current meta, and probably I could provide a good start for a specific nation.
Edit: Also welcome back :D

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,113 posts
10,577 battles

First off, welcom back. For your question, Soviet BBs are the flavor of the Month with French DDs as the new kids on the block. Meanwhile, British DDs are the unicorns Mercedes and German cruisers are still competitive, contrary to presiding claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,245
[FML]
Members
3,160 posts
13,501 battles
5 hours ago, ajdizzy said:

Alright, so I took a loooong hiatus (forced, not voluntary) and have just gotten back into this game after maybe a year or two of absence and in desperate need of an update on the landscape of the game in terms of the meta and which line is good for which nations. If anyone can give recommendations on what lines for which nations to grind so that I don't waste time on a garbage ship, it'll be much appreciated! 

Hi, welcome back to WoWS.  

In that time, there have been quite a lot of changes.  Carriers and aircraft have been completely re-worked (for better and worse), at high tiers there are more fire-spamming ships so anti-fire builds are imperative (lower tiers its not so bad), and as always dont sail broadside if you want to live.  Smoke screens only protect you if you dont fire your guns (press H in-game for your firing in smoke detection range). 

Otherwise, the advice I provide to new players (copied below) would still be helpful for you.  Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

  • Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  They are currently undergoing a major re-work (moving from a 2D RTS style control interface into controlling only one squadron at a time in the 3D environment view you know from playing other ships).  Until the re-work settles down, and community contributors can make specialised content to help new players approach carrier play, I suggest learning the other ships first.  There will be plenty of time to come back to carriers later.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,004
[PVE]
Members
18,320 posts
11,347 battles
5 hours ago, ajdizzy said:

Alright, so I took a loooong hiatus (forced, not voluntary) and have just gotten back into this game after maybe a year or two of absence and in desperate need of an update on the landscape of the game in terms of the meta and which line is good for which nations. If anyone can give recommendations on what lines for which nations to grind so that I don't waste time on a garbage ship, it'll be much appreciated! 

Welcome back. UltimateNewbie has good info.

 

35 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Hi, welcome back to WoWS.  

In that time, there have been quite a lot of changes.  Carriers and aircraft have been completely re-worked (for better and worse), at high tiers there are more fire-spamming ships so anti-fire builds are imperative (lower tiers its not so bad), and as always dont sail broadside if you want to live.  Smoke screens only protect you if you dont fire your guns (press H in-game for your firing in smoke detection range). 

Otherwise, the advice I provide to new players (copied below) would still be helpful for you.  Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

  • Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  They are currently undergoing a major re-work (moving from a 2D RTS style control interface into controlling only one squadron at a time in the 3D environment view you know from playing other ships).  Until the re-work settles down, and community contributors can make specialised content to help new players approach carrier play, I suggest learning the other ships first.  There will be plenty of time to come back to carriers later.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

Also, open water stealth firing is gone. Your detection blooms to your firing range for 20 seconds now when shooting. Some DD mains are still mad that Happy Time is over.

 

DDs only take 10% damage max from AP that is 280mm or larger. So DDs are harder to blap for BBs.

 

Cmdr skills have been revamped twice. You can get Concealment expert at 10 points instead of 15 now. The XP to get to 19 has been lowered. 19pt Cmdrs have their cmdr XP converted into Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) which is like FXP for cmdr training.

 

AFT now only buffs gun range for main guns of 139mm and lower. It buffs the range of ALL secondary guns of any size. AFT also no longer extends the range of AA. The range of AA auras is now based on caliber and nation and is fixed. 

 

Speaking of AA, short (<=28mm) and medium (28.1mm-85mm) AA still does continuous damage. Long range AA (85.1mm+) does continuous damage and generates flak clouds. The slot 3 AA gun module upgrade adds +2 flak clouds, so is only useful for ships with long range AA.

 

BBs really benefit from fire protection skills as UltimateNewbie noted. Lots of fast firing HE DDs and CLs now.

 

IJN 100mm guns and mid to high tier German cruiser HE has 1/4 pen on HE which stacks with the IFHE skill. UK BBs have 1/4 pen to HE. Everyone else is 1/6.

 

CVs are only even tier now, T4-T10. There are planned alternate CV lines.

 

Subs are coming and are slated to be only even tier, T6-T10. Slated to be in their own mode, but WG is looking to see if they can be added to PvP. They plan on buffing the speed absurdly in the attempt. Hopefully, sanity will prevail.

 

One use camos have much better bonuses and Draconic flags are a special type of flag with great economic bonuses.

 

Flint, Black, and the other ranked and clan battle ships are now purchased for Steel. Steel is a new resource earned in ranked and clan battles. Coal is earned in missions every day and can be used for premium ships, upgrades, Cmdrs, combat flags, patches, etc in the Armory. See the Armory, left side in port, in game for more detail.

 

US cruiser split moved Cleveland to T8 on the CL side. The old US CAs got dropped one tier, so Baltimore is T8 now.

 

Lots of other things too, but that's all I have for now off the top of my head.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
636
[KAPPA]
Members
2,109 posts
6,989 battles

Do you like gunboat DDs? Harugumo for a more standard choice and the French DDs for smokeless zoom zoom WHY CAN'T I HIT YOU. Daring also has dakka and a heal, as well as hydro. Plenty of options.

Do you like torpedo DDs? Shimakaze's line got a huge gunnery buff, so much so that I consider them my favorite DD guns now. You also have German DDs with the faster CD lower count torps by T10.

CL? Worcester is a dakka dakka beast, and blatantly destroying the game if you ask the vocal minority.

CA? French CAs are real nice if you leverage the reload booster well.

BBs? Russian and English have some significant tankiness, if vulnerable sides, and both can be nasty when used well. I guess there's french, too, but I'm not a fan outside of the 16 guns of Lyon and the reload booster on Jean Bart. On that note, T9-10 premiums are a thing, and JB is a T9 premium.

CV? Ohh, you are in for a shock, as CVs are very different. Avoid Midway, but otherwise they are all pretty good in their own way.

Mind you, I'm focusing on newer things. Most lines are fairly competitive still, though people say KM BBs need a buff badly. I'd say that they have needed a buff, just not the buffs others seem to want, since WG made the mistake of adding AP bombs, as their line can be summed up as AP bomb fodder by anyone that uses CVs with AP bombs or played KM BBs.

So... yeah, probably a good idea to avoid KM BBs, as CVs are popular now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3 posts
607 battles
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Welcome back. UltimateNewbie has good info.

 

Also, open water stealth firing is gone. Your detection blooms to your firing range for 20 seconds now when shooting. Some DD mains are still mad that Happy Time is over.

 

DDs only take 10% damage max from AP that is 280mm or larger. So DDs are harder to blap for BBs.

 

Cmdr skills have been revamped twice. You can get Concealment expert at 10 points instead of 15 now. The XP to get to 19 has been lowered. 19pt Cmdrs have their cmdr XP converted into Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) which is like FXP for cmdr training.

 

AFT now only buffs gun range for main guns of 139mm and lower. It buffs the range of ALL secondary guns of any size. AFT also no longer extends the range of AA. The range of AA auras is now based on caliber and nation and is fixed. 

 

Speaking of AA, short (<=28mm) and medium (28.1mm-85mm) AA still does continuous damage. Long range AA (85.1mm+) does continuous damage and generates flak clouds. The slot 3 AA gun module upgrade adds +2 flak clouds, so is only useful for ships with long range AA.

 

BBs really benefit from fire protection skills as UltimateNewbie noted. Lots of fast firing HE DDs and CLs now.

 

IJN 100mm guns and mid to high tier German cruiser HE has 1/4 pen on HE which stacks with the IFHE skill. UK BBs have 1/4 pen to HE. Everyone else is 1/6.

 

CVs are only even tier now, T4-T10. There are planned alternate CV lines.

 

Subs are coming and are slated to be only even tier, T6-T10. Slated to be in their own mode, but WG is looking to see if they can be added to PvP. They plan on buffing the speed absurdly in the attempt. Hopefully, sanity will prevail.

 

One use camos have much better bonuses and Draconic flags are a special type of flag with great economic bonuses.

 

Flint, Black, and the other ranked and clan battle ships are now purchased for Steel. Steel is a new resource earned in ranked and clan battles. Coal is earned in missions every day and can be used for premium ships, upgrades, Cmdrs, combat flags, patches, etc in the Armory. See the Armory, left side in port, in game for more detail.

 

US cruiser split moved Cleveland to T8 on the CL side. The old US CAs got dropped one tier, so Baltimore is T8 now.

 

Lots of other things too, but that's all I have for now off the top of my head.

Holyyyyy smokes that's a lot of changes. Cleveland being an T8 caught me by surprise, I got it back when it was a T6 and I was pretty damn confused when I logged on and saw I had somehow skipped T6 and T7 lol. Carrier situation seems a bit bizarre though, any reason why it goes by 2 tiers? Last time I played, carriers were still pre-changes with the 2D RTS mode and the whole 3D one squadron deal is a bit weird to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3 posts
607 battles
5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Hi, welcome back to WoWS.  

In that time, there have been quite a lot of changes.  Carriers and aircraft have been completely re-worked (for better and worse), at high tiers there are more fire-spamming ships so anti-fire builds are imperative (lower tiers its not so bad), and as always dont sail broadside if you want to live.  Smoke screens only protect you if you dont fire your guns (press H in-game for your firing in smoke detection range). 

Otherwise, the advice I provide to new players (copied below) would still be helpful for you.  Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

  • Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  They are currently undergoing a major re-work (moving from a 2D RTS style control interface into controlling only one squadron at a time in the 3D environment view you know from playing other ships).  Until the re-work settles down, and community contributors can make specialised content to help new players approach carrier play, I suggest learning the other ships first.  There will be plenty of time to come back to carriers later.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

Thank you for such a detailed breakdown for a noobie like myself, appreciate that friend :) I'll definitely get to looking into some of these lines!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
150
[-KAK-]
Members
440 posts
8,472 battles
23 minutes ago, ajdizzy said:

Carrier situation seems a bit bizarre though, any reason why it goes by 2 tiers?

It's "Easier" to "Balance"

In terms of the best lines (IMO, obviously)
- DD:
    - British DDs, hands down. They don't get speed boost, but they get short duration smokes and hydro which are both great for getting yourself out of trouble.
   - If you want to play with torps, the IJN DD line's your best bet (Shima, not Harugumo)
   - The IJN split (Harugumo) really starts at T8. The T5, T6 and T7 don't get the dakka playstyle that their older brothers have.
   - American DDs aren't bad, but their torp ranges are pretty short until T8 I believe.
   - French and Russian DDs (Khaba side) play pretty similar - High speed gunboats. The french get gun reload boosters (NO smoke), the Russians get to choose between smoke and a heal from T8+.

- BB:
   - I would say that British BBs are easier to learn because you can just shoot HE - you don't really have to worry about armor layouts and/or enemies angling.
   - American BBs are slow up until T8, but they've got good AA, and decent guns. If you can handle the speed, it a good line.
   - Germans have good armor, but bad guns. I found them very frustrating to play.
   - Low tier French BBs basically specialise in lots shells. Lyon (T7) and Normandie (T6) are pretty fun to play.

- CA/CL:
    - French CAs are probably the easiest to learn
    - American CA/CLs can do really well, but it's usually a matter of learning how to hide behind islands and still get your shots off.
    - I'd say that the T5, T6 and T10 German cruisers are really good. That said, I wasn't really fond of T4, T7, T8 and the T9 could be difficult to use well.

CV:
    - They're nowhere near as hard to learn as they used to be in the RTS days. If you're looking for something different, it wouldn't hurt to try.
    - That said, AA can be monstrous at certain tiers, or pretty much non-existant.
    - Since they're only every 2 tiers now, you have to grind each ship almost twice as much to progess.
    - In terms of best line, Americans get good rockets, HE bombs, and mediocre torps. Japanese get ok rockets, AP bombs, and good torps. Brits get carpet bombs (I can't comment on the brits, I've only got the T4 myself)

Edited by TheOmegaDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,004
[PVE]
Members
18,320 posts
11,347 battles
36 minutes ago, ajdizzy said:

Holyyyyy smokes that's a lot of changes. Cleveland being an T8 caught me by surprise, I got it back when it was a T6 and I was pretty damn confused when I logged on and saw I had somehow skipped T6 and T7 lol. Carrier situation seems a bit bizarre though, any reason why it goes by 2 tiers? Last time I played, carriers were still pre-changes with the 2D RTS mode and the whole 3D one squadron deal is a bit weird to me. 

WG has stated two reasons that I know of. First, by going by even tiers, it was easier to differentiate between CV tiers. Second, and much more importantly I think, was it cut the CV tiers from 7 to 4 for the MM to deal with.

 

The cost from one even tier to the next is less than the cost to grind from in even tier to the next even tier in the old system. So a little less XP to go from T4 to T6 in the new than the T4-T5 and T5-T6 in the old system.

 

You will also get people saying that WG doesn't think players can do two things at once. Which is sour grapes IMO. WG said that you WASD your planes or CV as it was not fair to control two units when everyone else is doing one. More importantly IMO, is that you pretty much had to be one of the 3% or do of people who can actually multitask to play high tier old RTS CVs with their 1/2 dozen or so planes. The new system doesn't require multitasking, so is reachable by more people. The rebalance period was hard on the live server, as except for STs, no one saw the balancing process in action. Some people are still salty as hell about the rework and some will never forgive WG. Personally, I don't agree with everything on CVs, but overall I think that they are better for game as they are now.

 

Only use the latest info and videos on CVs, as during Jan to Apr 2019, CVs sometimes changed every week for balancing.

Edited by Kizarvexis
Clarify by separating paragraph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×