You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Unsinkable Sam on Bismarck really drives home how BIG these ships are

46 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,095 posts
18,935 battles

3U0SWHk.jpg

Rc2kcvk.jpg

Click pics for larger version.

• Cool 10

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles

I knew Lert would love these camos...

Only battleship I've personally been aboard is the Missouri and yes they are truly massive. The bow is almost a hill to climb.

0 posts

I was impressed at just how Bismarck drives home, how cute Unsinkable Sam just is. Cuteness obviously a far superior measure of importance.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles

I thought the same thing! I just unlocked the Camo by completing the Bismarck ship mission after I got it out of a free container from today's stream (I already had the Bis so WG lined my wallet with some silver). I really love this theme.I guess I'll go ahead and finish up the rest of the Unsinkable Sam grind!

Edit: This one can be tough to spot, look at battery #2, right barrel. 

Unsinkable Sam.jpg

Edited by Rgtx1121
Tiny Cat
  • Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,737 posts
4,630 battles
1 hour ago, Rgtx1121 said:

I thought the same thing! I just unlocked the Camo by completing the Bismarck ship mission after I got it out of a free container from today's stream

Me too!  But I don't see him on the guns.  He's running around on the deck amidships. 

Two permacamos came with the ship -- Unsinkable Sam and Historical.  He's on both.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
805 posts
7,168 battles
1 hour ago, Sumseaman said:

I knew Lert would love these camos...

Only battleship I've personally been aboard is the Missouri and yes they are truly massive. The bow is almost a hill to climb.

I've seen Wisconsin, but never went aboard. I have been aboard the Alabama. And even though the South Dakota class was 207 feet shorter than the Iowa class, I was still impressed with how large these ships are. I've served aboard two cutters (USCG), and even if you put them together, they would be dwarfed by the battleships.

Here is a picture I took on Alabama. That's normal size guy to the left of the turret. Also, what you can see of the  barrels poking out of the gunhouse is about 37 ft (they are 60 ft overall length).

ALabama.jpg

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
2 hours ago, LoveBote said:

I was impressed at just how Bismarck drives home, how cute Unsinkable Sam just is. Cuteness obviously a far superior measure of importance.

He is extremely cute running around like that. Now I don't want to shoot at a Bis/Cossack/Ark just in case. If I was permitted I'd bring my pug 'Winston' onto the flight deck with me for luck! 

15 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I've seen Wisconsin, but never went aboard. I have been aboard the Alabama. And even though the South Dakota class was 207 feet shorter than the Iowa class, I was still impressed with how large these ships are. I've served aboard two cutters (USCG), and even if you put them together, they would be dwarfed by the battleships.

Here is a picture I took on Alabama. That's normal size guy to the left of the turret. Also, what you can see of the  barrels poking out of the gunhouse is about 37 ft (they are 60 ft overall length).

ALabama.jpg

Does the bow on the Alabama go into that steep incline? I remember they were doing some refurbishment on the stern teak deck of Miss when I was there.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,901 posts
11,584 battles

this just furthers my want for WG to give us the option to be able to walk the decks of our ships in port like you would IRL, i know itll probably never happen, or be years if it does happen

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,914 posts
26,891 battles
3 hours ago, Rgtx1121 said:

I thought the same thing! I just unlocked the Camo by completing the Bismarck ship mission after I got it out of a free container from today's stream (I already had the Bis so WG lined my wallet with some silver). I really love this theme.I guess I'll go ahead and finish up the rest of the Unsinkable Sam grind!

Edit: This one can be tough to spot, look at battery #2, right barrel. 

Unsinkable Sam.jpg

Loved this one. Also when he jumps into the open window of the turret.

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles
17 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

this just furthers my want for WG to give us the option to be able to walk the decks of our ships in port like you would IRL, i know itll probably never happen, or be years if it does happen

WG definitely has the creative talent to do it. For all their faults, I don't think that many of us would fault them for their model design and attention to detail. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,560 battles
38 minutes ago, Rgtx1121 said:

WG definitely has the creative talent to do it. For all their faults, I don't think that many of us would fault them for their model design and attention to detail. 

Exactly this. Say what you want about Wargaming or the game itself, they have done a wonderful job modeling the ships. They have talented artists and are deserving of praise for their work. 

Banned
627 posts
42 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Exactly this. Say what you want about Wargaming or the game itself, they have done a wonderful job modeling the ships. They have talented artists and are deserving of praise for their work. 

That they do. +1 for you.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,024 posts
14,281 battles
2 hours ago, Mailman653 said:

Here's another cat sighting.

Is your Ark from a box, a Sam special or a standard?

[ARRSE]
Members
192 posts
1,401 battles

Not the first battleship kitty....

HMS Queen Elizabeth, circa 1915:

1086742667_HMSQueenElizabethcat1915.thumb.jpg.732bd5b9aab5bbc3947b8f5510d56dc1.jpg

Edited by Turbogerbil
  • Cool 2

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles
2 hours ago, Turbogerbil said:

Not the first battleship kitty....

HMS Queen Elizabeth, circa 1915:

1086742667_HMSQueenElizabethcat1915.thumb.jpg.732bd5b9aab5bbc3947b8f5510d56dc1.jpg

That cat is entirely safe on the QE. It's not like it's in danger of being thrown off it's mount by blistering turret rotation. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[TF16B]
Modder
647 posts
798 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Is your Ark from a box, a Sam special or a standard?

It’s the special, the ship has three camouflages The premium one that represents the ship on how it looked around the time it sunk, the second camo is the cat, and the third one I discovered the inspiration for last night. It’s the HMS Illustrious camo from when she served in the Mediterranean. 

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
805 posts
7,168 battles
19 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

He is extremely cute running around like that. Now I don't want to shoot at a Bis/Cossack/Ark just in case. If I was permitted I'd bring my pug 'Winston' onto the flight deck with me for luck! 

Does the bow on the Alabama go into that steep incline? I remember they were doing some refurbishment on the stern teak deck of Miss when I was there.

Yes, the bow does indeed rise as you go forward. About 5-8° incline I think.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
14 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Yes, the bow does indeed rise as you go forward. About 5-8° incline I think.

Just awe inspiring. I know so little about ship design from back then. Just to stand there on the spot of where the Japanese formally surrendered was a humbling experience. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,737 posts
4,630 battles
12 hours ago, Turbogerbil said:

For the person who doesn't speak cat, note the erect tail, floppy tip, flat back, and high head with forward-cocked ears.  That is one happy cat.  Likely his servant is farther down the barrel.

Hmm.  "..her servant"?  I'm thinking that's a girl-type cat.  After puberty body shapes are subtly different.

Edited by iDuckman