You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

For those suffering in silence: Kremlin

12 comments in this topic

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

First off- I'm relatively new with Kremlin but not BBs in general. My most played ship up until recently was GKF since it supported the play style I enjoyed. Guns forced me in close, the armour scheme supported it and the hydro allowed for it. 

Unfortunately I'd grown tired of GKF as high DPM fire setters became more of a norm... so I branched off a couple of years ago and didn't play GKF much as a result. My experience in Kremlin speaks to that since I've been having to relearn some basics. 

The following is my assessment on Kremlin and what "I BELIEVE" is "A" way to play it. I'm happy to be corrected or nudged one way or the other- I'm no authority on it and don't know what I don't know. I'm hoping to get some conversations going that look a little deeper than "It's op, it's a killing machine, it's bias etc." I'm not saying it's not all of those things- or that it IS all of those things... but it's all been said before and not everyone is able to use it as an "I win" button. I'd like to help and be helped. 

I'm also talking about predominantly solo, random battles. There is no "team" expected.

So with that out of the way, please continue: 

As soon as you load into the game expectations on you with a Kremlin are high. You have the deepest HP pool in the game and people are going to expect you to use it as well as all of your damage control and repair parties. They are going to want you to use your guns to good effect- and this means between short and medium ranges out to about 15km.

They are not wrong in having these expectations... But you need to be an influence throughout the game and exchange that HP with targets that matter. Time and place are critical considerations and given your size and relatively limited mobility your situational awareness of the unfolding battle is of paramount importance. Like with most BBs one flank or the other is desirable- positioning yourself in a way that supports the flank (geographic or functional) from a distance that you can transition to a push on short notice is key. 

Be mindful of DDs you haven't seen for awhile since your lack of hydro and relatively slow rudder shift time will make you a lucrative target... This is not unlike any other ship- but in wading into battle with your 108k HP sometimes people forget exactly how quickly that can evaporate- again... a lot of the strength in Kremlin is EXCHANGING HP- not just handing it over for free. I've found that supporting a flank- whether it is in fact a flank or the main attack- that is layered by either DDs or other ships with hydro is desirable. Like with ALL other BBs: Be in a group- and if it pushes, push. If it retreats, retreat.

The high tier HE spam meta we're in can be triggering however it helps to keep in mind that if you're already on fire it's harder to set you on fire. It also helps to remember 100% of that fire damage is repairable. I would get very focused on shooting at muzzle flashes in smoke and this would distract me from other lucrative targets and hidden threats... Watch for the "dancing bear" that you may not see hidden in plain sight. 

People are going to yell at you for not doing whatever it is they think you should do to help them get out of whatever mistake they made that got them there in the first place. People are going to do that anyway... to any type / class of ship regardless of the actual skill level of either player. People who are dead are going to have opinions about you being a coward, about not wanting to scratch your paint. People won't hear your excuses / reasons so don't bother- just stick to the plan and remember these 5 key points: 

1) Identify the desired side for the initial "press." Seldom is picking the middle option going to work out (like two Brothers in concept- SOMETIMES it works... usually it doesn't.)

2) Try to stay in the vicinity of other ship types. Support their push or retreat. Qualifying statement: Call me a "coward" but typically if I'm advancing on a fair fight I'll recommend a defensive withdrawal... or tactical advance to the rear. A rearguard action... An early kite formation. Doing so buys you time to whittle away at opposition while drawing them closer to your support... as opposition is whittled down you can return to mop up the remains. 

3) Don't wade into a DD alone. If it's literally just you and a DD then I'm out of ideas... a mistake has put you there. Watch your priority target indicator assuming you have it... AWSD like a [edited] and try to disengage. 

4) Remain significant. There is a very tangible skill in understanding exactly how far away you can be given the dynamics of gameplay while remaining significant. Whether that's as an HP exchange kiosk, as a deterrent or as an offensive asset. People that already have this skill aren't reading this post for help, but rather to hopefully point out some errors and offer corrections. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to learn this other than experience. As the saying goes- "Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment." 

5) Remember: You're still "just" a BB. You're mighty- but you have several critical limitations. Less than most on the other team would like- but they're still there. You're not a one man band even though everything you've read says you're OP. You can't be OP if you're busy unlearning all the lessons about BB play that you've learned. YES, you need to get into it- but at the right time. YES, you need to be damaged but at a desirable ratio that allows you to remain significant throughout the battle.  

For those of you still learning like I am- is there anything above that resonates with you? Any similar learnings? Any experiences to build on for the rest of us?

For those of you who have already bought the t-shirt... Is there anything outright wrong or misleading? Any other tools in your toolbox you'd care to share? Any additional insights to offer? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles

Nice post, @_ENO_.  I just finally picked up Kremlin last week and have only played a couple of matches in her.  Definitely a learning curve, as Russian BBs have not been a particular strong suit for me.  I'll try to heed some of your advice next time I take the ship out to battle.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
12 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Nice post, @_ENO_.  I just finally picked up Kremlin last week and have only played a couple of matches in her.  Definitely a learning curve, as Russian BBs have not been a particular strong suit for me.  I'll try to heed some of your advice next time I take the ship out to battle.

Thanks @Ace_04 

I've put down about 65 battles so far- most of the last 30 battles or so was spent digging out of a pretty deep deficit not only in WR for the ship but also negligible amounts of damage. No doubt about it I'm a bit of a pendulum as I try to adjust to the specific conditions where the ship excels. It's EASY to say you need to get in closer where guns are more accurate and you can place hyper accurate shots into the guts of most ships- it's actually tough to time it so that you don't have others doing the same to you. 

One area I've been lacking is in XP... This is probably a reflection of me plucking at low hanging fruit and severe overpenetrations from the high velocity, high caliber guns. I've started aiming a bit below the waterline to deal with that specifically on cruisers at close range- but frankly I'm not sure this is wise? 

Edited by _ENO_

[SALVO]
Members
26,737 posts
32,125 battles
10 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yeah, I find the Russian BBs to be a bit difficult to effectively use as well.  To be most effective, you need to be in the "happy zone" for your Russian BB's guns, which is short range.  But getting there while still having a ship left can be a tad difficult at times and on some maps.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,553 battles

Getting close to mine...so good info and opinions...I also find Russian BBs at the higher tiers actually more challenging than I would suspect. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,887 posts
24,766 battles

Good advice.

128k from tier 9 for the second time.

Those dang RB pirates stole my Kremlin....

• Funny 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
1 hour ago, Morpheous said:

Getting close to mine...so good info and opinions...I also find Russian BBs at the higher tiers actually more challenging than I would suspect. 

This is the trap that I'd fallen into and am still scrambling out of... 

I hovered around writing this for awhile... but wanted to see if what I "THOUGHT" I needed to do and what I NEEDED to do warranted a thread on it. I stopped leading with my chin and started leading with my brain. I had to work hard to distinguish times where me turning left instead of right resulted in a chain of events that actually impacted the end result of the game... It's like eating a crap  sandwich and you can't cut off the crusts. 

I'll be open and honest about the fact that more often than not there were conspicuous opportunities for me to hit the A key instead of the D key and it would have been the stroke necessary to win instead of lose. Information was all right where I needed it to be to make the right call but I wasn't looking for it. And if I was looking for it I wasn't seeing it... usually because I was feeling pressured to support a desperate position that was already beyond salvage. I subsequently evaporated into a number in a few people's damage columns- This provided the time and inertia necessary for a few low health ships to rejuvenate themselves and push to victory.

But the self reflection HAS resulted in me picking out these opportunities- and I'm slowly starting to build up my confidence again. Watching DDs, tracking torpedoes, counting down the reloads... becoming more familiar with overmatch numbers- Risk can be offset by knowledge... don't think that just because you're wrapped in 108K of HP that it's easy street since at no other time in the game do you NEED to be firing on all cylinders to influence the battle. 

More than anything and like GKF before it, stay poised to push in when the opportunity presents itself. "Be ready to seize opportunity; do not attempt to create it."

All of my many stories of embarrassing losses (or wins) in Kremlin start with me being too cocky and eventually being picked apart by an opponent that knew to stay at range against me... over-committing moved me into a battle on their terms that I lacked the mobility to extricate myself from. I was significant for a time and did succeed in distracting large numbers of the opposing force- however lacked the coordination with the rest of my "team" to take advantage of it.

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 2

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
28 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

OK I guess I am REALLY not paying attention to details... I cannot figure out how to go about getting one...

I might be missing something in plain sight here... what are you looking for or am I getting spoofed? 

Members
3,242 posts
591 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

I might be missing something in plain sight here... what are you looking for or am I getting spoofed? 

I can't seem to find the info I need in order to try getting one....
If theres something I am missing or already missed on how they are acquired...
missions>>??
Crates???
$$$$>>>?

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
13 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I can't seem to find the info I need in order to try getting one....
If theres something I am missing or already missed on how they are acquired...
missions>>??
Crates???
$$$$>>>?

Sorry, if you're talking about the Kremlin it's the TX Russian BB. 

Members
3,242 posts
591 battles
1 minute ago, _ENO_ said:

Sorry, if you're talking about the Kremlin it's the TX Russian BB. 

oh   nvmnd I figured out my lack of paying attention. LOL