You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

Alternating ships Game after Game

16 comments in this topic

[187]
Members
961 posts
17,928 battles

I have over 100 ships. Will Playing a ship once and regardless of winning or losing changing to a different ship affect W/R?  If so, Then I have to say I'm guilty. I very seldom play the same ship twice the same night. Would like opinions please.

Edited by GSXstage1
mistake

[KAG]
Members
1,373 posts
13,541 battles
1 minute ago, GSXstage1 said:

I have over 100 ships. Will Playing a ship once and regardless of winning or losing changing to a different ship affect W/R?  If so, Then I have to say I'm guilty. I very seldom play the same ship twice the same night. Would like opinions please.

I like to switch up platforms as well, I think it makes me a better all around player.

[WMD]
Members
1,967 posts
11,267 battles

It would impact your win rate because you are never mastering a single ship. Every time you switch boats you need to adjust your lead, angling, playstyle, etc. 

That being said, I do much the same. Switching back and forth between a few ships each night which likely contributes to my lower than preffered stats. 

Edited by VeatherVitch
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,287 battles
2 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

I've seen you talking about win record I play mostly solo and I can tell you being expert in a ship will build your Win rate

Even though you're only one ship out a 12 playing your ship strong a lot of times will make a difference

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,475 posts
19,048 battles
7 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Speaking for myself I would say no, not really.  Every day I usually play several different ships. Granted these are ships that I've all played quite a bit so it's not as if I'm unfamiliar with how they play.  But I'll frequently play ships that I've not played nearly as much as others or very recently and it doesn't seem to affect my WR much.

On the other hand, you can definitely improve you WR by sticking to ships that you play a lot and do well in. 

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles

No, actually I‘d argue that in the long run you are going to miss out on some WR. If you want to improve your WR it pays off to play a small handful (or if you have the nerves one specific ship) of ships instead of them all and the mastering it.

Playing a ship constantly instead of once every 20 or 40 games allows you to learn its feats a lot faster, and will help you get a much better feeling for her.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles

Question: why are you here?

1) To crush your enemies, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of the playerbase? Be really good in a select few ships.

2) To chill, for the love of the game, and because you relish the variety that a hundred or more different ships give you in playstyle? This is why I lean heavily towards co-op. 

The problem I have with concentrating on just one ship for an age is things like directives. They want torpedo hits, fires, citadels, caps, defence ribbons, etc. etc. etc.; and while there are SOME ships that will do all of that, there are also type-specific directives that want any or all of BB, Cruiser, DD or CV (with SS to come), multiple nations and sometimes higher tiers. That part can't all be done in just one ship, and you risk burnout if you do nothing but play the same ship over and over again. For sure there are some people who can do this for days on end without getting bored or frustrated, and I take my hat off to them, but that's not me. I love this game too much to drive myself to the point where I say ":etc_swear: WOWS" and uninstall because I've just grown sick of playing [insert ship here] for the gazillionth time in a row.

1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

Playing a ship constantly instead of once every 20 or 40 games allows you to learn its feats a lot faster, and will help you get a much better feeling for her.

Agreed, and I suspect the 25-mission XP-boost thing they sell with a lot of the premiums at first release might in part be designed to encourage such a breaking-in period (and since captain XP is at least partially a reflection of ship XP - i.e. it is never lower and usually higher, it also helps in getting your captains boosted up faster).

In the longer term, striking the balance between diversity and familiarity can be difficult, and I'm grateful to WG for making so many of their events at least relatively co-op friendly since about this time last year. It lets me change things out and keep them fresh, and it minimizes my risk of game fatigue.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

As a solo player the impact you have on win or lose is pretty limited and the stat means nothing if not considered alongside other relevant stats including survival, AVG XP and damage.

After over 11k random battles do you think you will be able to calculate to any measurable / tangible degree a difference in your WR whether you just kept doing what you're doing versus specializing in a single platform? I'll give you a hint: You won't. 

You have a very nice balance of ship types played with the exception of carriers but [edited] them anyway... This will keep any progress in XP, Damage and arguably survival relatively consistent whether or not you choose to specialize... while losing roughly 40-45% of the time will prevent your WR from changing any measurable amount. 

My "opinion" is that you drop this WR fling you're having across multiple threads and start focusing trying to survive more than 1 in 3 battles. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
24 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

You will have better aim if you play the same ship regularly. Gun arcs and general flight time vary.

Your understanding of how maneuverable ships are will also change. Each ship has slightly different characteristics for how they turn, rudder shift, general handling. Playing different ships will mean you lose the "feel" of how ships perform.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles
7 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

You will have better aim if you play the same ship regularly. Gun arcs and general flight time vary.

Your understanding of how maneuverable ships are will also change. Each ship has slightly different characteristics for how they turn, rudder shift, general handling. Playing different ships will mean you lose the "feel" of how ships perform.

The other issue is that there are things which impact on performance that bear no direct relation to which ship you are in - e.g. positioning to keep yourself relevant to the battle, picking your fights appropriately, knowing when to shoot and when to stay dark, planning your line of disengagement if you're about to do something risky in any squishy ship, and simple general situational awareness.

To use an extreme example: It doesn't matter if you've mastered the New York's guns in the training room to the point where you can spank any broadside ship at any range; if in battle you sail out on a straight-line course in front of half a dozen Tier 7 ships in order to do it, you're not going to be in that battle very long.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,259 posts
18,838 battles
44 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Not directly. It can effect how well you play a ship. Myself I have about 300 ships and often play many in a session. If I narrow that down to just a few I do play them better. Me playing better will effect my win rate. So yes it can. 

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The other issue is that there are things which impact on performance that bear no direct relation to which ship you are in - e.g. positioning to keep yourself relevant to the battle, picking your fights appropriately, knowing when to shoot and when to stay dark, planning your line of disengagement if you're about to do something risky in any squishy ship, and simple general situational awareness.

To use an extreme example: It doesn't matter if you've mastered the New York's guns in the training room to the point where you can spank any broadside ship at any range; if in battle you sail out on a straight-line course in front of half a dozen Tier 7 ships in order to do it, you're not going to be in that battle very long.

How does that apply to what I said?

Sure, general gameflow principles apply broadly speaking. But the OP is wondering what impact switching between ships continuously is.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
24,142 battles
43 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Would like opinions please.

@LittleWhiteMouse has a very good article on how to improve one's win rate. The basic point is to use one ship at a time until you have mastered it.

I do what you do and change ships after a victory. Particularly during events like this that give extra rewards for that first win. I will play a tech tree ship consecutively to complete its research and to unlock the next in line.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

How does that apply to what I said?

Sure, general gameflow principles apply broadly speaking. But the OP is wondering what impact switching between ships continuously is.

The general discussion has included the impact of ship-switching on win rate. I'd argue that the reason unicums are unicums is because their general gameflow principles are so solid that they override any variability in performance between individual ships and it shouldn't be fretted over. You are right in everything you said; I am simply injecting an additional talking point/hypothesis that there is a (bimodal) subset of players at both ends of the curve for whom deep familiarity with their ship simply doesn't matter. 

Members
563 posts
16,396 battles

I am much the same.  If its a ship in a line I’m grinding I will play it again if I lose the first game (or several :Smile_sad:),  but even if I really really want to finish a ship and obtain the next one in a line, I have a tough time playing a ship that has already won its “daily double” bonus.  It just seems to be a waste if I can’t get that xp bonus for the first win.  So I’ll usually play something that hasnt got a win yet that day.

[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,790 battles
55 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Absolutely, 

You need to always be on your 'A' game in this game and using ships you are unfamiliar with can determine your contribution in battles. 

So yes, if you continue to use ships you know you are not familiar with it will hurt your W/R because when you need to make that crucial decision in the heat of battle and it decides to not go your way because you miss judged, forgot the range of your torpedoes, your detection range. 

It hurts.