You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Cromwell

Des Moines

4 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
3,721 battles

Hey Captains,

So I have Des Moines and most recently unlocked Moskva and I have to say that in this current 457 mm meta I'm really enjoying my Moskva more than Des Moines because I feel like I can tank way more damage in Moskva than Des Moines and not get so punished for being spotted. I feel like I'm having way more impact on the game in Moskva as I'm getting more kills and able to play more aggressively in it.

I find that I have to hide a lot with Des Moines and am not quite as effectual as I'd like to be. I understand that it's an amazing DD hunter and is quite good at countering the recently popular smolensk but I find that it's super hard to get into close enough distance to consistently hit targets with the sluggish shells.

Could you more experienced Des Moines Captains give some advice on how to properly play her and position her? 

Much appreciated.

[KAG]
Members
76 posts
12,216 battles

I have both Moskva and Des Moines as well. I'm not sure what builds you're running, but I personally use the legendary modules on both as well as concealment.

Moskva is definitely easier to play, in my opinion. You can sit back at long range and burn battleships or citadel cruisers with pinpoint accuracy while being able to bounce most shells that come your way.

However, Des Moines is much better at contributing to the whole team because of its stealth and radar along with its rate of fire, which lets you deny caps easily. 

Find an island that hides you that allows you to radar the cap, then just wait. Des Moines requires a lot of patience to play. Because of its stealth, ambushing destroyers with your radar is very easy provided you kill them quickly and drop off detection before the battleships can fire on you.

Once the destroyers are gone, you have more freedom to move around the map as you like. I use the propulsion mod along with the legendary mod, so I can afford to shoot in the open for some time because it makes dodging shells much easier. But I assume you don't have the legendary module yet, so just play patiently. Hide behind islands or in smoke as much as you can. And never ever be secluded. Always try to be near teammates who can attract enemy fire more.

Unlike Moskva, Des Moines isn't meant to be tanking (though it does have a 30mm deck). Not only does it have weak armor against HE and battleships, but people will want to shoot you because of Des Moines reputation.

Edited by MitoUchiha

[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,790 battles

I am loving my Des Monies, 

Creeping around, shooting as I run from cover to cover, 

Providing Radar for the Team!

I cannot wait to get the legendary mod for it!

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,964 posts
23,351 battles

DM plays very differently based on which battleships are present in your part of the map. Against 15" battleships, you can "go loud" safely and just bow tank. If there are 16"+ battleships with a line on you, bow tanking is suicide, and you'll need to relocate, stay quiet and try to trap a destroyer with radar, or play open water instead.

Depending on the map, you may be able to find an island that you can fire over or around without being spotted. Remember that your ship is only visible to the enemy if the top of your superstructure can see the top of theirs. This means you can poke the front of your ship (including the two front turrets) around a corner and shoot, as long as the island still hides the top of your superstructure.