Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Seagrizzly

Kelber - Is something wrong

36 comments in this topic

[SC]
Alpha Tester
233 posts
7,520 battles

Ok I am trying to figure this out but two match in a row now I have been hit by BB's and taking massive amounts of damage like 8k and 6k while broadside at about 15k.  I thought that this was not supposed to happen and for sure not to the french dd's.  How are these BB's do that large amount of damage at one time?

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[USN]
Members
1,753 posts
22,014 battles
3 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

Ok I am trying to figure this out but two match in a row now I have been hit by BB's and taking massive amounts of damage like 8k and 6k while broadside at about 15k.  I thought that this was not supposed to happen and for sure not to the french dd's.  How are these BB's do that large amount of damage at one time?

no French DD can take full pen damage from BBs, only 10% of max damage (overpen damage). However, if they get lucky and land a fair few hits (like 5 or 6), then suddenly that overpen damage can quickly stack up.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles

At high tiers, 6k damage can be done with like 4-5 overpens. Some ships have twice that amount of guns just on their bow. They are just good shots and/or have good dispersion.

I have dev striked so many DDs today in my Sinop for ranked battles. No detonations and no penetrations. Just 9 overpens

Edited by _BBaby
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,731 posts
18,519 battles

weird I thought BBs can only 10% of their original AP damage to DDs unless they are firing HE maybe if all the AP shells from the salvo land a hit on kleber, also Kleber has a really huge side profile/hit box so she eats them almost invitingly

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,277 battles
3 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

At high tiers, 6k damage can be done with like 4-5 overpens. Some ships have twice that amount of guns just on their bow. They are just good shots and/or have good dispersion.

I have dev striked so many DDs today in my Sinop for ranked battles. No detonations and no penetrations. Just 9 overpens

Seen that a lot with Sinop. It's deadly in Ranked because it is especially broken at short ranges.

0 posts

This is exactly the problem I was talking about before. The French DDs are so big that there is no amount of speed that can help.  Ever aimed too far ahead of a ship and miss? You wont have that problem shooting at French DDs. You have to just max range gun ship build to survive and there are plenty of ships that fit that role better.

If they were sized like the Le Fantastique maybe it would be different.

Edited by Dr_Citadel
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles
29 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

weird I thought BBs can only 10% of their original AP damage to DDs unless they are firing HE maybe if all the AP shells from the salvo land a hit on kleber, also Kleber has a really huge side profile/hit box so she eats them almost invitingly

Kleber has 21.9k HP stock.

Let's say a Montana fires a full 12-gun salvo into her, Overpens at best.

1 Montana AP shell is 13.5k damage.

Overpen is only 10%

Let's say Montana gets a great salvo in 5 Overpen hits.  Can easily happen, I made it a habit to shoot at DDs with Montana.

1350 Overpen damage per shell x 5 hits = 6750 damage

That's a good chunk of damage provided Kleber was at full HP.

Yamato 14.8k damage per AP shell

Let's say 4 Overpens happen.

1480 Overpen damage x 4 hits = 5920 damage

Some of those BBs can rack up a good number of hits, especially the more rifles they have like Montana, Conqueror with their 12.  Yamato gets away with blapping DDs despite only having 9 rifles because she's accurate.

Tier X DDs are also pretty big and some are pretty much  "Light Cruisers" in their size.  Khab is big and bulky.  Harugumo is long and maneuvers like a dead yak.  Kleber looks pretty darn big herself, hell, these high tier FR DDs all look pretty big.  Even the Tier VIII Le Fantasque-class are big DDs.   Even Gearing I consider to be chonk compared to slim and sexi Fletcher.  Grozovoi is so large that I found it ridiculously easy to hit her.  That size is free real estate for shells.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[--K--]
Members
5,429 posts
18,806 battles

French Destroyers rely on the enemy not being able to hit a fast DD. 
A Destroyer that is rather long and tall. 
A Destroyer that doesn't turn very well so spends a lot of its time going fast in a straight line. 
A Destroyer that is rather Thicc so AP shells have a tenency to "Stick" in the ship. 

You see the French didn't understand the concept of a Destroyer and decided to build a hybrid Cruiser Destroyer. 
The only problem is the French Destroyers have neither the strengths of Cruisers or the flexibility of Destroyers. 
But its not like the French military design department is a stranger to questionable design decisions.

>.> Glances at a border defense fort that has a giant hole protected by Belgium. 

• Funny 2

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Seen that a lot with Sinop. It's deadly in Ranked because it is especially broken at short ranges.

Put my good friend Kuznetzov in it and it's broken at all ranges:Smile_teethhappy:

[SC]
Alpha Tester
233 posts
7,520 battles

Yea I guess that makes sense. Wasn't there something special about damage mitigation with the French dd or is that just for he?

[--K--]
Members
5,429 posts
18,806 battles
6 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

Yea I guess that makes sense. Wasn't there something special about damage mitigation with the French dd or is that just for he?

Not sure the French DDs even know what "Damage Mitigation" means. They eat so much damage and everything important on them is always breaking. I have the Premium T6 French DD, the TechTree T7 and I've played the LeTerrible in Hunt events. Near misses will knock out engines and rudder. 
But considering the French ordnance department liked to use a Highly unstable propellant for their shells that on a few occasions detonated from "Ruff" handling. We're lucky these ship don't blow up when they hit a wave.   

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,758 posts
10,016 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Friesland eats BB AP as well. 

Heck yeah it does. I've seen cruisers AP volley them for a TON. It's crazy. lol

[KAG]
Members
1,373 posts
13,541 battles

The problem is the hyper accuracy of... well basically everything at high tier.  BB’s in general are way to accurate, in fact everything seems to be far too accurate at tier 10.  

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles

So what everyone is really saying is don't waste your time on the french DD line especially the t 10 one

[KIA-C]
Members
3,831 posts
17,012 battles

Yeah don't waste your time, definitely not worth your time.

I play them because I'm idiot but don't be me.

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,277 battles
3 hours ago, _BBaby said:

Put my good friend Kuznetzov in it and it's broken at all ranges:Smile_teethhappy:

I keep inviting him to join our clan, but so far no luck....

Members
1,015 posts
6,300 battles

I have no problems in my Kleber. Thing is tanky as heck. I’ve yolo rushed multiple BBs in it and came out fine.  The guns can’t track up close. Easy dev strike.

[5D]
Members
1,181 posts
16,042 battles

French DD play like the Russian  line  in my opinion , torpedo are great for rushing BB behind island , since you got superior torp angle . i Dev struck a gk in my kleber earlier today , went from basically 0 damage to 93k  in the space of a few second and only lost like 5k HP .

Members
687 posts
9,588 battles

it really doesn't matter. French dds are pointless, and everyone knew this looooong ago.

Speed is not a defense. Just ask anyone who used to play russian DDs. Sure it's good at first, sure you live a little longer than you normally would, but eventually the playerbase is going to get you dialed in. Making your "speed defense" 100% worthless.

AP from battleships? Of course. Why would a BB ever use HE against a DD? It doesn't work, it's been proven that it doesn't work. More often than not, your HE will hit a mod and do no damage, or little damage. Despite the "nerf," it's better to use AP against destroyers. This works even better against armored DDs, such as the Khab/etc, because yes, you can actually pen those DDs and do dev strikes.

Sooooo yeah, that's why AP works. That's why nobody cares about your speed. If you are playing a DD without smoke, you are going to get rekt. Now throw CVs in the mix. Just do like everyone else is doing, and play Harus

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
448 posts
16,316 battles

Kelber and Mogador take massive DAM .. they can take 2 volleys , before your swimming home . And shellbreak is about 50% ... I thought for sure you would get a crappy heal like daring got ,,, you have no smoke . And speed can't save you .Even a lucky hit can delete you . I also felt the FU when i saw 7k detection .....Kelber is anther DD i wanted to love .... But can't ,,, Needs a buff, a crap heal is (What it should have had) . Or better concealment . Torps are great ,, Reload concumable is great . But she can't take a hit ... AT ALL . And if your reload is in cool down you have to run from other weaker dd 's .

[-TNT-]
Members
448 posts
16,316 battles

Ya don't waste your time with the Kelber . Tell the buff it some how . My vote is a daring heal . That way it's a small buff .

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles
22 minutes ago, War182 said:

Ya don't waste your time with the Kelber . Tell the buff it some how . My vote is a daring heal . That way it's a small buff .

The words "heal [on a deastroyer]" and "small buff" don't match. A heal on a destroyer is a huge thing. 

Sign in to follow this