Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Alisette

Just played Ark Royal for the first time...

28 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
1,478 posts
9,730 battles

So basically, it uptiers as well as the other T6 CVs.  Noted.

• Cool 1

Members
2 posts
1,215 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Aw, show us  your operating costs and great net income!@!

I unfortunately didn't think to screenshot the XP and Credits earned, but surprisingly I still made about 60k credits without premium, and I forget the XP earned. I'm sorry!

Members
12 posts

I have two games in the Arc Royal.

Some very initial takeaways-

-The planes are slow.

-Boy are these planes slow.

-JFC these planes are slow.

-Ok, at least I have the shiny new Arc Royal to look at in port. 

Now lets get the Furious out and get in the game.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
76 posts
5,705 battles

I've been enjoying her in Operation: Killer Whale but then other than the German BBs and the occasional T-22 there isn't much to worry about AA wise. 

I look forward to seeing how she does in other Operations and any Ranked seasons that come about but I doubt i'll use her much in Randoms.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles

Whow... in four years of playing, I've never regretted forking out money for a premium as much as I have this ship.

They should have at least given her the Fulmar heavy fighters she carried when chasing Bismark. Skua's were phased out in the first nine months after the start of the September 1939 war. As she stands, she's a toothless, slab-sided target.

At the very least, for such slow aircraft Ark shouldn't have such a bad detection radius

PS: Two games in, and she's been stripped of flags and camo. After spending all that time flying to targets, only to watch perfect drops score one bomb or rocket effective hit and getting near bottom of the tree ... I went back and had a go in Furious. 
Conclusion: Ark Royal is a T4!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
71 posts
3,089 battles

I bought this on a whim last night, not knowing anything about the CV changes. I last played CV last year when you could fly multiple squadrons.

Seems like alot of people don't like it, but being I don't have any new CV experienced I'll keep taking it out for a spin so I can get familiar with the new mechanics. Maybe I'll take a look at playing other CVs if I do ok in this one...

[USCC]
Members
2,584 posts
10,765 battles

After watching a video in the thread below, perhaps this CV is just better off in scenarios and maybe not so much for Random battles>
but clearly, in the right hands, she really can do well.

Spoiler

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,528 posts
1 hour ago, SpudZero said:

After watching a video in the thread below, perhaps this CV is just better off in scenarios and maybe not so much for Random battles>

Hide contents

She does great in killer whale.  I haven't taken it into randoms yet, going to use my 25 200% XP missions first.

shot-19.09.19_17.35.45-0942.jpg

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
2,584 posts
10,765 battles
33 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

She does great in killer whale.  I haven't taken it into randoms yet, going to use my 25 200% XP missions first.

shot-19.09.19_17.35.45-0942.jpg

Awesome, I'm going to pick her up, Just had a match with one in PVE, he came in last, but he did ok considering it was a tier VIII match.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles
5 hours ago, SpudZero said:

Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately, that's a quote that can apply to just about every underbalanced ship in the game.

[USCC]
Members
2,584 posts
10,765 battles
3 minutes ago, HMS_Formidable said:

Unfortunately, that's a quote that can apply to just about every underbalanced ship in the game.

Perhaps, but if you look around there are a lot of people having great games with it. 
I'm sure you're a fine player, but maybe it needs more than 2 attempts before you send it off to Alang for scrap.

[QAPLA]
Members
16 posts
4,234 battles

Yes her planes are slow, but I have had some good results in random last night.  I ended up in first one game competing against a Ranger. So far am impressed with Ark Royal. 

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles
21 hours ago, SpudZero said:

Perhaps, but if you look around there are a lot of people having great games with it. 
I'm sure you're a fine player, but maybe it needs more than 2 attempts before you send it off to Alang for scrap.

Yeah, accepted. But I have played her during her extended testing. So I could quickly assess her in-game performance. Especially when played alongside Furious with Sea Hurricanes and Barracudas.

I am expressing my opinion, based on my preferences and play style. 

That aside, I still think it is unforgivable that they gave her Skuas instead of the Fulmars she had during the Bismark op!

So here is the historical progression: just as an indication of performance difference between the two T6 carriers.

Fighters: Skua (withdrawal from June 1940), Fulmar (40-42), Wildcat/Sea Hurricane (42-43).

Bombers: Swordfish (first attempt to withdraw 41), Albacore (41-42, though Swordfish more reliable), Barracuda (43-44)

Skua/Swordfish are TWO GENERATIONS behind Sea Hurricane/Barracuda. Simply throwing more aircraft in the air is not suitable compensation when balancing against the combination of speed, accuracy, number of weapons dropped, accuracy of drop, resilience etc - especially when up against T8. At that level, Ark Royal's aircraft can be MORE than four tiers lower than the opposition (if the T8 carrier has uptiered aircraft - such as the upcoming Implacable).

Beta Testers
402 posts
7,819 battles

I can deal with the slow planes, BUT i can't deal with how bad the planes maneuver. They turn so so so slow. 

Had WG given the Swordfish the same maneuverability they gave the Albacore, then I think the Ark would be ok.

As she is now, she is a real disapointment

[POP]
Members
510 posts
6,002 battles

It is interesting that subs are not historically accurate in regards to speed because of balance reasons.  I guess balance was not a concern when it comes to the Ark Royal. 

Beta Testers
402 posts
7,819 battles

Its funny how a love for a ship will make you deal with such frustration, i have not had the kind of love, hate relationship like this since i feel in love with the original Yorck way before all the buffs.

But like the Yorck i hope WG will address the Issues with the Swordfish. I mean it should handle better then an Albacore! From my understanding the Swordfish was a better plane and more maneuverable then the Albacore. 

Members
2,349 posts
4,070 battles

She's uh...she's a ship,  alright.  Took her out for a few rounds today,  most of the matches were T-8 and the one that wasn't,  saw the enemy keeping AA cruisers near their battleships and a lot of wily DD's running around.   It was smart play,  but it obviously made it hard to do a whole lot.

Her fighters are garbage.  The only noteworthy thing about them is that they are her fastest planes...which are still the slowest fighters at Tier VI.  The damage is atrocious even when you do manage to hit.

Her level bombers are...a thing.  I love them personally,  laying down a massive line of bombs is amusing to watch but their complete lack of penetration makes them eh at best.  I once had twelve penetrations for six thousand damage and no fires.  Not much you can do about this though,  since its still going to do a good job of damaging anything thin skinned.

Her torpedo bombers are the best you are going to get.  They have her fast narrowing drop pattern that lets you get in close and deal decent damage AND there are three per wave.  While the amassed 40pd level bombers are her technical gimmick,  her EFFECTIVE gimmick are these tri-torpedo drops.  

Level bombers for cruisers and DD's,  torpedo bombers for battleships,  fighters for baiting out catapult fighters and DFAA,  and...that's it.  You have a lot of damage potential that's going to be heavily limited by plane speed,  so make sure that when you commit,  you commit and deal as much damage as you can before having to switch planes.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
Members
263 posts
10,174 battles
On 9/20/2019 at 8:41 PM, HMS_Formidable said:

Yeah, accepted. But I have played her during her extended testing. So I could quickly assess her in-game performance. Especially when played alongside Furious with Sea Hurricanes and Barracudas.

I am expressing my opinion, based on my preferences and play style. 

That aside, I still think it is unforgivable that they gave her Skuas instead of the Fulmars she had during the Bismark op!

So here is the historical progression: just as an indication of performance difference between the two T6 carriers.

Fighters: Skua (withdrawal from June 1940), Fulmar (40-42), Wildcat/Sea Hurricane (42-43).

Bombers: Swordfish (first attempt to withdraw 41), Albacore (41-42, though Swordfish more reliable), Barracuda (43-44)

Skua/Swordfish are TWO GENERATIONS behind Sea Hurricane/Barracuda. Simply throwing more aircraft in the air is not suitable compensation when balancing against the combination of speed, accuracy, number of weapons dropped, accuracy of drop, resilience etc - especially when up against T8. At that level, Ark Royal's aircraft can be MORE than four tiers lower than the opposition (if the T8 carrier has uptiered aircraft - such as the upcoming Implacable).

Aren't we forgetting about Saipan? that is a T8 CV with  Tier 10 planes.

So there is already a possibility of having a a CV with "basically Tier 4" planes and CV with Tier 10 planes in the same match.

[POP]
Members
510 posts
6,002 battles
Just now, Sammy_Small said:

Aren't we forgetting about Saipan? that is a T8 CV with  Tier 10 planes.

So there is already a possibility of having a a CV with "basically Tier 4" planes and CV with Tier 10 planes in the same match.

Unfortunately on paper having t10 planes looks like a great idea until you take her out and realize in practice the slow regen rate of T10 planes added to the Saipan small hangar size up aganst the newly designed AA mechanic that brings unavoidable losses makes for a rather high risk low reward type of CV.  She was my first premium and my favorite ship for a long time.  Unfortunately since about 8.5 she is not good at all.  Enterprise outperforms with T8 planes all day long and the Kaga does as well.

[SYJ]
Members
263 posts
10,174 battles

Yeah and with recent AA changes, that guarantee plane kills/losses on every attack, Saipan has been hit rather hard.

Enterprise was always good due to it's large plane reserves in RTS or its fast plane recovery rate after the CV rework. 

Speaking of the Old Saipan from the RTS days. It was a struggle to go up against it in the Ranger with 1-1-2 load out that was forced upon USN CVs ( because 0-1-3 or 2-0-2 was removed )

Here is a blast from the past

Spoiler

Some old screen caps
1078365403_RangerKingoftheair1.thumb.jpg.95475112e618ddcf6d9d901b3c34fb16.jpg1114835410_RangerKingoftheair2.thumb.jpg.6449b5dc602be63c5fe0d242332d5b38.jpg

Sign in to follow this